1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Juke 1210 or Cowtipper 35

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killa-B, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Well, I'm feeling the GAS for a new amp:Devil . I almost always use a multi-amp setup to get the most texture/timbre/swirl possible. The new amp will go aside my K-Spot most of the time, so it needs headroom and a superb clean tone first and foremost. The K-Spot excels at tweedy edge of breakup tones, and huge exploding marshally tones. The new amp will need to have tight bass, extended highs, and the appropriate power to keep up with the loud 35W kendrick. I typically don't use pedals, and play a strat with SR pickups almost exclusively. Blues, rock, mangled jazz, and original tunes are what I play.

Sorry to be lengthy, but reference should allow for more helpful replies I suppose.

The two I've been thinking of are the Juke 1210 for it's unique tones, huge texture, and features---and the Bruno CT35 for it's stellar cleans.

What is the street price for each?
    How much drive does the Juke have on tap?
    How much headroom does the 35 have?

Thanks in advance!

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've tried the Juke, and the CT 45. Never heard a Kspot, so I'm guessing here. I'd go with the Juke. It's got this real solid, well-defined bass sound. Not overwhelming in bass tones, more perceived as an overall bigness in tone and presence. Mostly clean. The Juke has an unusual sound character; I think it would combine with other amps in really interesting ways.

That said, the CT 45 would offer another type of big sound. A bit Matchless like to my ears. Lots of clean if that's what you want. I don't know how the 35 compares. Maybe not a large or clean a sound?

3. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i'm a Juke owner/lover, so be warned ;)

they're both pretty rare, AFAIK. Juke is a one-man operation, so call Gary Croteau & ask him how much for new. note: if you happen to find used, Gary offers to extend the lifetime warranty, if you pay 70% of original list.

the GAIN button on the 3-button footswitch boosts about 3dB. otherwise it's designed for clean headroom. i've found that my low-output guitars (Chapins w/single-coils) will drive it a little. my Heritage Millenium DC w/HRWs (known hereabouts as a "screamer" :eek:) will drive it plenty when master vol is >1/2 and level is >2/3 or so. [/quote]

:cool:

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

4. e-z

e-z Member

Mine only came with a two-button footswitch. I'm gonna have to look for that extra button!

5. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Thanks all, and please keep the comments coming....this is gonna be a hard decision for me.

I had a CT45, but never even seen a 35. I sold the 45 because it was just too loud for me, maybe it was a mistake, but that amp would make my ears ring. The fender inspired cleans were def the best I've heard though.

I am very intrigued by the Juke. I have listened to the sound clips, I think some were hawkeye's, and they only added to the GAS.

6. hawkeyeinexile

i just got off the phone w/Gary & one of the things we talked about (i was pricing a grab&go 112 to replace my old Ampeg honey) was how to get the sound i want @ the vol. levels i need for small gigs. we talked rectifiers, tubes, speakers, all kindsa stuff. it's certainly worth a phone call to find out what he can do for you. :AOK

:eek: :D

7. GM1

GM1 Member

I have both a Cow 35 and a Cow 45. The 35 is about what you would expect. Same characteristics as the 45 but not as loud. It is in my opinion the perfect amp for small clubs.

8. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I'll say it first so Tag doesn't have to.

"Bruno is the best-est, most wonderful-est, most perfect-est amp ever. If you don't buy a Bruno, then you are obviously not a good player, because all good players agree that Bruno are great. If you don't get a Bruno, then please just get a regular production amp, because all 'booteek' amps are over rated, all GOOD players agree."

;)

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Actually I really liked the CT22 that I played. Just the right volume, great tone with an extended but beautiful top end and controlled bass. Set it on the edge with the guitar volume full up and it cleans up beautifully - whack on the mid boost (I was using an "EC") and it overdrives just as nicely as its cleans are.

jeff, Er what did Gary suggest then? Spoke with BC last night, looking good, eh?

Best, Pete.

10. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I have tried a 22 out, and really liked it as well--it's a great amp. For my purposes, it is not the best fit. The K-spot will come really close tonewise to the 22 for clean at lower volumes, but since I'll be using the Kendrick for the dirtier side, the 22 could not possibly keep up. The K-Spot is a beastly 35 watter, it can keep up with my high power tweed twin.

11. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

12. GM1

GM1 Member

It would seem to me for clean tones, the Cow 45 would be the right amount of power.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

If extended highs are what you're after, I don't know that the Bruno would be the best selection. I owned a Cow 45 for a year and thought it had a beautiful high end, but definitely not what I would consider bright, or 'extended' high end. Very warm and smooth top end, even with the bright switch engaged. I also owned the Cow 22 without the bright switch, and that amp was downright dark unless the treble was dimed, which would then thin out the amp. Some of my favorite amps (currently have an UG30) but doesn't sound like they fit your application.

14. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

This is a surprise Tag, I figured you'd be on the fence!

I must ask, have you auditioned a Juke in person? I actually do respect your ear, so if you have indeed played through a Juke that would carry some weight.

15. 6789

6789 Member

I haven't Played a Bruno.

I own a Juke 1210 Vintage model. 40 watts with Jensen alnicos. 6L6 power tubes. I love mine. I bought it after hearing Hawkinexile's clips. I wanted it for the full, rich texture and the tremolo and vibrato. Plus reverb that sounds like my friend's mid 60s Ampeg Reverberocket 2.

I called Gary and told him the sound I was after. and he suggested the Vintage model. He said the Classic Model with EL 34s was more touch sensitive - a player who is really good would like it but a player like me, who isn't that technical of a player might not sound as good with the classic because any mistake or irregular picking volume will come out of the amp more noticably. The Vintage model with 6L6 tubes is more forgiving and helps to not call attention to my lack of finese on the guitar.

I wanted an amp to help me get a sound like Link Wray's early recordings. the recordings that sound like the amp is about to self-destruct or hurt itself. The Juke gives me that perfectly! I like a clean and the edge of breaking up and a little past just breaking up sounds.

Gary told me that technically, the amp doesn't have a master volume. The volume is wired in a different position than master volumes. All I know is that when I dial up the level I get more break up and the volume knob controls the overall volume. That allows me to get a great clean or Link Wray sound at any volume. I turn up the level knob about 2/3 of the way up for one guitar and about 3/4 of the way up for different lower level output guitar. I don't need any pedals with this amp, but If I wanted more overdrive, my Timmy used as a clean boost can get more overdrive from the Juke but I don't do that.

Even if you aren't ready t obuy yet, call Gary and he'll tell you the price and what he suggests for the sound you want. He can use different tubes and speakers to get different sounds. I called before I was ready and he didn't give me any high pressure sales job at all. He explained the differences between all the models he offers.

Gary told me he hasn't made amps with the pedal volume boost button for a long time.

From what you described, I'd think the Juke would get you the sounds you are asking about.

One last thing. Gary is super cool. He recently made a special order extension cab for me. It looks just like my Juke 1210 but it has a 15" weber michigan speaker. Man-O-Man, I'm getting the biggest, coolest, hugest tones ever. I love it.

If you don't the Juke, gary offeres a refund period. He told me in ten years no one has wanted to return the amp.
    [​IMG]

16. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I have kinda been wondering the same because I did not have the K-Spot when I had the CT45. The K-Spot is a 1x12 with a Fane, and my 45 was a 2x12 with the heritage speakers. I wonder if I just got a 45 1x12 or head and used a less efficient speaker if that would work. Also, the 45 comes up regularly on ebay for a much lower price than ordering a new 35.

The 45 stays clean (for me) a bit too long for me using a strat. The amp is barely opening up when the police knock. It is a great amp, but I feel it may just be a one trick pony for me as that is what it turned out to be the first time....damn I wish I just had the 45 back that I sold!!!!

Lesson: don't sell Bruno amps.

17. hawkeyeinexile

very cool. would love to see & hear that sometime. great idea. i used to have a Jenkins JSS115...

18. hawkeyeinexile

well, maybe the thing to do is to call Tony & find out how to get the levels you want w/a 45...? & then get one of those again...

19. 6789

6789 Member

I'll try to shoot a couple photos this weekend. Someday, hopefully I'll make some clips.

If you are ever near Minnesota, let me know, I'll let you try the amp out.

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thanks. No, I have never played one. I have not cared for the clips I have heard all that much. As you know, to me, other than the Brunos, the production amps really are the best sounding you can buy.

It just does not get any better for cleans than the Cowtippers. Next in line to my ear would be a Fender dual Professional. I am just a huge Fender fan.