Juke Amps! Appreciation! Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hawkeyeinexile, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    way past time

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    Rodip likes this.
  2. hawkeyeinexile

well-done review by LeonC, a (rightly) well-respected member of the TGP community: here

related thread here

:cool:

3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

My review of the Vamp model (with clips). Still going strong:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I should add that it's the best lap steel amp I've ever used.

4. DamianP

DamianP Member

Good idea Jeff.

I`ve had my 1210 warbler for about 5 years. It`s been used almost every day without a hint of trouble.

It is superbly well made and sounds wonderful.

If I had any money at all I would buy one of Garys new smaller amps in an instant.

Damian.

5. hawkeyeinexile

nice work, Noah. i posted some clippage a long time ago & plan on redoing.

yeahman, Damian, i've been thinking of asking Gary to do a mod on one of mine (3 Warblers) to be more Coda-like.

6. hawkeyeinexile

just to save me lookup time sometime:

- the Ultralinear switch on the Warbler works in Pentode mode ("Output" switch)
    - facing front of amp, flip left for Ultralinear, right for full Pentode

7. tlainhart

tlainhart Member

I've had a 1210 for a couple of years now (now named Warbler), and it's a wonderful instrument. With a couple of different cabinets, it takes on multiple voices.

This is something I recorded a while back to demonstrate the clean sound of the amp: Darn That Dream. Probably not of interest to someone looking for the type of sound that Leon got out of the Coda, but in addition to getting those types of sounds, it can also nail the Grant Green-era vibe. I recorded that with a SM-57 with no after-effects, with just a bit of reverb and vibrato to thicken things up.

I'm trying to figure out how to get a Coda or Vamp.

8. hawkeyeinexile

:aok very pretty

what kind of guitar?

9. 908SSP

908SSP Member

The Juke 1210 is the only amp I have heard in the last ten years that was jaw dropping. I am not much into boutique amps have a couple amps inspired by Trainwreck and Dumble and the rest are all vintage. But the Juke 1210 is still an itch I need to scratch.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

The 1210 is a remarkable amp. The cleans are gorgeous and unique. The reverb and modulation circuit is intoxicating. I don't own one, but I'm a big fan.

11. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Phenomenally well-built amps with classic, strong tones within. You can NOT go wrong with Gary's work.

Nobody's reverb is better, IMHO.

My review is here.

12. TMock

TMock Silver Supporting Member

You guys are killing me with the Juke talk. I emailed with Gary about an amp awhile back, and I came very close to ordering one. I ultimately decided to stay in more familiar territory with a Tungsten Crema Wheat (which is really great, too!), but I have not quite forgotten about the Juke.

I had it in my head that they were very clear sounding clean amps for low-to-no gain players, but hearing guys rock out of them is REALLY making me want one.

13. tlainhart

tlainhart Member

It's a '54 175 with a P-90. This combination is amazing.

You can "rock-out' with the amp, as another poster wondered, driving it with pedals. Also, the speaker combination makes a big difference as to the general feel.

14. hawkeyeinexile

Scott, i hadn't seen that review before...thanks!

15. dB

dB Member

I've had my eye on a 1210 for the past 5 or 6 years...but never pulled the trigger. Sure wish I had, because I just visited his website and his prices have pretty much doubled since the last time I looked.

Has anyone compared the 1210 to a Meteor, by any chance?

16. hawkeyeinexile

hey, Alex, curious where & when you heard a 1210...

complementing your experience, i am a fan of quite a few boutique amps (+TWs&Ds), making it hard to decide on just one or stick with just one. quite a few have paraded through the Fortress of Sillitude (i.e., my jam-dedicated garage) over the past 15 yrs, friends' and mine. mine have included a Komet 60 (the infamous #078), Fuchs mods, Dr. Z's, and more. wish i could keep 'em all. have "settled" on the Jukes and Heritages.

my Warbler 112 works best for me in most recent situations, but there's nothing quite like the 1210. Tri-cone array of alnico goodness, 40+ watts, footprint less than a BF Deluxe Reverb,...i think you deserve one ;)

17. hawkeyeinexile

only Tone King i've tried was a metro & it killed. i'll betcha the meteor does, too - i really dig 4x6v6 amps in general.

price: Tone King has dealers & they pretty much stick to MSRP. Juke deals direct, at present, and the actual purchase price is way less than listed. i'm guessing a new Juke Warbler 1210 would cost significantly less than any new Meteor II 740 and not that much more than i paid over 7 yrs ago - you might give Gary Croteau a call ;)

18. hawkeyeinexile

a tip i got from Gary in '05. you can alter the basic sound of the reverb by pulling the reverb bag and slipping a hunk of material inside underneath the pan. e.g., plexiglas or a thin sheet of metal (aluminum flashing was a suggestion) will brighten the overall sound.

i tried this on my '02 1210. plywood might maybe make it a little warmer (? - i haven't tried that). i had a thin slice of masonite around & tried that. YMMV. enjoy regardless

19. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Can anyone talk about how the different models of Jukes sound different?

As far as I can tell they all have both the vibrato and Tremolo. Am I right on that?

20. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The 1210 is pretty much a clean machine. That is, IME, it's largely oriented towards producing a great clean sound, though it can be tuned to grind a bit.

The Coda is the only other Juke I've had in my possession. It was a bit more "well rounded" in that it could do anything...excellent cleans but could produce a good deal of overdrive as well and it handles OD pedals better too, IMO, of course. The reverb, trem and vibrato are very similar to what you get in the 1210. The Coda is easier to dial in, IMO, as well. I think the design was intentionally simplified a little with this in mind.