Juke Amps! Appreciation! Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hawkeyeinexile, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    thanks, Damian, i'll pass that along

excellent entry and that H2 of yours is a beauty, to be sure. nice work, bud!

:cool:

2. hawkeyeinexile

for his weekly lesson. usual guitar. and for the past couple of weeks he's been plugging in to a well-known & beloved 1x12 combo of different manufacture. xlnt amp. we've been experimenting with speaker swaps lately to get it optimal for its owner. owner came & got it last week, much pleased.

my friend wasn't paying much attention & i plugged him into something else. he plucks some strings, strums some chords, sez, "wow! that sounds great! what did you do..." and turns to see:

[​IMG]

my 1x12 (the pic is a 1x15)...

peace, joy, & prosperity in the New Year, Gary,

yeahman

3. hawkeyeinexile

4. hawkeyeinexile

nicely done (playing and recording) w/Juke Warbler 1210 in left channel & Two Rock CR in right:

kingsley also has a couple other demos on his Youtube channel that seem to use the Juke. recommended listening. (the guitar's not bad either ;) )

5. hawkeyeinexile

10th anniversary of my 1210 coming up. so, i went looking for stuff to help celebrate & lo & behold: Greg V's recently put up a vid:

6. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I have a 1210 Combo(EL34) and 1x15 Ext Cab...sounds insane...use it in both my Rockabilly and Reggae bands...probably takes pedals better than any amp I've ever owned...awesome amps

7. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Hmmm talk about coming late to the party! LOL

Okay, so I'm gonna try to revive this thread since it's the longest and most recent. I've heard of Juke amps before, but didn't study them too terribly closely before now.

I'm currently on a quest for a new amp that does cleans, OD, 'verb and trem well, and while there aren't a ton of clips available (some models I've yet to find any clips at all for), the stuff I have heard thus far has definitely gotten my attention.

As it stands right now, I'm most moved by the Coda. The trem/vibe on these things is out of this world, the subtle (compared to Fender) reverb is nonetheless very tasty and three-dimensional, and the gain tones - at least on the Coda, and so far only from a couple clips - sounds absolutely heavenly; a moderate yet full-bodied OD, smooth and articulate with a ton of creamy mids. Of course, everyone knows clips (as well as ears listening to clips lol) can be deceiveing, so I hope a couple owners of the Coda or other models might chime in to let a Juke newbie know if he's hearing what he thinks he's hearing.

I do wonder, though, are folks generally having to dime the volumes on these amps and/or use attenuators in order to get the level and character of gain that LeonC gets, for example, when he does the main solo lick from "Maybe I'm Amazed" in that one clip? Or can you get that type of tone at reasonable volumes sans Brake Lite, Nite Lite, Alex, or whatever other power-squashing device some folks use? (Can you tell I've never used an attenuator before in my life? LOL)

I currently play Strats with Texas Specials and Blues Specials, and I dig everything from clean to edge of breakup to '60's and '70s classic rock and blues tones.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm really excited about these amps, and I want to learn all I can about them.

Thanks so much.

Steve

8. Warbler Muse

Warbler Muse Silver Supporting Member

Steve,

As far as the overdriven tone used by Leon, the amp mode configuration he used was fixed bias - pentode exclusively, which is the cleanest and loudest mode of operation. His review didn't discuss the other three output modes that effect feel, distortion, headroom and loudness which are really useful for giging and studio work. Hawkeye and some of the other owners of the Coda can give more info about their experience with the amp. Feel free to call me if you have any other questions.

9. hawkeyeinexile

it's always fun to dime Jukes (volume + level), or any amp for that matter, but not very practical. for ensemble playing i like volume almost full & level enough for solo sustaining tones. backing off on guitar vol knobs renders beautiful cleans.

w/Coda i don't always use my Tim or BJFE PPF. with my older ('03) 1210 i do. it's not as gainy as the Coda can be.

best 'verb ever, imho, & i was raised on '60's fenderage. it's much like my '61 Ampeg. and the tremolo & vibrato is terrific, as you've no doubt heard.

i also added a comment to the Leon thread...

10. tlainhart

tlainhart Member

I own both the 1210 and the Coda (1x12). In another thread you described your tastes and requirements, and based on that, I think the Coda is a good fit for you, re weight and vintage tone. The only desires you described that won't be satisfied are for an FX loop and a line out.

I don't think you'll need an attenuator with it. Between the master level and volume, and pentode/triod or cathode configurations, you'll be able to get some nice grind. To my ears, the tone stack veers towards mids, which you said you would like.

I would give Gary a call and discuss your interests. He customizes the builds to the buyer - he may be able to help you zero-in on what you're looking for. E.G. you may want to consider building a Coda with 6V6s, which would be a cool configuration. Or maybe an Alnico speaker, or the MV moved, or a different tone stack, etc.

Check out this video. It's not a Coda, but a similar configuration with 6V6s. I love the sound of this amp.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  11. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Thanks for all the input, guys. Thing is, I spoke with Richard over at goodsell, and he made me an offer I simply could not refuse on a demo amp he had kickin' around, so unfortunately, a Juke is something that isn't in the cards for me at this time (sigh). However, these clips and praises have gotten my attention, so I'll definitely keep the Coda in mind for my next amp. thanks again :).
    Steve

12. hawkeyeinexile

enjoy yr amp, bud, whatever you get

13. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Okay, I actually spoke with Gary for the first time today, as I'm seriously considering a Juke. I actually created a separate thread with general questions tonight, but it seems I've got more questions than a 4-year-old on these amps, so hopefully someone can help me out with stuff that either Gary told me and I forgot (he gave me a ton of info.), or which was over my head (he knows his stuff; I can fiddle with knobs and occasionally change tubes, but that's it), or that I forgot to ask altogether. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

1. I'm torn between the Coda or Rave. Either way, it'll be 1x12, and as American-voiced as possible (since I sort of have the brit thing taken care of with my Marshall and Goodsell combos). I understand that the Coda will have more headroom (and possibly a lot more volume, depending on fixed/cathode and pentode/triode), but which tube-type (5881 in the Coda vs. 6v6 in the Rave) will give me a fatter, creamier, more American OD tones? And will I be able to achieve blues and classic rock levels of dirt without relying on pedals or blasting the amp?

2. If I get the Coda, I believe it comes standard with a switch for fixed/cathode bias. Now, I get that I'll get more wattage and headroom in fixed, but will have to have the amp rebiased before swapping power tubes, unlike in cathode bias mode. Dumb question of the day: if I've got the amp in cathode bias mode, and switch out power tubes, how can I switch it back into fixed without damaging the amp or whatever? I assume I'd be stuck taking it somewhere, since I'm so clueless about even the most minor amp maintenance. One thing I love about the Goodsell (S17, MKIV) is that it's cathode bias, which means that, whenever the output tubes go, I can apparently jjust pop in a fresh, matched set. I'm honestly not sure what the advantage is to having an amp that'll go from 6 to 30 watts if switching it from one mode to the other requires doing something I don't have a clue how to do.

3. On the flipside, I've read a couple responses here which state that the Rave is barely as loud as a Princeton Reverb. Well, I dig lower-wattage amps, but the SFPR I hadreally wasn't quite as loud as I'd like (certainly the Goodsell I now cherish, while probably not being enough to keep up with a heavy-handed drummer, gets pretty freakin' loud in my room). From these analyses, it seems like I'm stuck between the Rave, which very well might not pack quite the sonic punch I'd like, and the Coda, which I'll probably have to keep in fixed bias mode. I suppose, if I've got the specs all wrong, and/or in a desperate ploy to save a quick buck, I could see about getting the Coda built in fixed bias only, and just finding a decent tech years down the line when my power tubes need changing.

Okay, I've really let this post go lol. Sorry for rambling. If anyone can help me sort out one or more of these questions so I don't have to bug Gary two days in a row, I'd greatly appreciate it :).

Steve

14. hawkeyeinexile

xlnt!...

guitars/pickups used? (makes a diff in headroom achieved, gains, etc.)

15. hawkeyeinexile

(& merry xmas and happy new year, Gary)

:)cool:)

16. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Ah, almost forgot lol.....

Dan Smith Strat with Fralin Blues Specials (actually, all the electronics came from a Fralin prewired 'guard...though I stuck the original '82 'guard back on).

Stock American Special Strat (which includes Texas Special pickups and Greasebucket tone circuit)

Reverend Tricky Gomez (semihollow w/Bigsby and RevTron (Reverend's version of FilterTron) pickups.

Hope this helps, and thanks again :).

Steve

17. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Anyone??? :)

Hmmmm everyone's probably preparing to gig/party later, which reminds me: Happy (advance) New Year, everybody!

Steve

18. tlainhart

tlainhart Member

I can't add anything re Coda vs. Rave, as I've never played the Rave.

Regarding bias'ing power tubes: this is a very easy procedure. Assuming that you have a philips head screwdriver (to take off the back panel), and a small flathead screw driver (to adjust the bias trim pot), all you'll need beyond that is a digital multi-meter and some alligator clips. The manual for the Coda explains how to do this, and I've got to believe that there's a ton of YouTube clips that might show you how as well. It's really simple and straightforward - there's no need to take the amp to a tech for this procedure. I'm sure that Gary would walk you through this if necessary.

So that said, I would go with the fixed bias, or the combination of fixed/cathode (which is an upcharge the last I knew).

19. hawkeyeinexile

OK, so those use medium-to-low output pickups, i guess.

first thing i'd recommend is close read and listen to this here:
    http://www.tgpwebzine.com/?page_id=2277 . Leon is a fine player and talented amp builder hobbyist. also, his musical tastes are pretty close to mine.

my Coda (Aug 2010) is 5881's only. i don't think it'll run 6V6's, but will 6L6's and maybe KT66s. but i like the 5881's bestest. slightly lower output than 6L's, but a little gainier and less notch-y in the mids. the Coda preamp gives me all the thump in the lows and chime at the top i'm looking for.

speaker is the Jensen Tornado. surprisingly great speaker. i usually like AlNiCos, but have some ceramics, too, lying around.

as always, YMMV.

i have the two switch options: cathode/fixed bias and triode/pentode. the Coda has the only triode mode sound i liked enough to gig with. at a small club with a 3-guitar, 5-pc bluesy band, the 6w setting (triode & cathode) was giving me beautiful cleans, enough headroom, and a singing lead tone (sometimes boosted with a Tim pedal). Tim pedal works/sounds best with an amp on the verge of clipping. Vol and Master knobs were at about 3/4.

at a larger club i used same amp but pentode/fixed settings (30w rms). 6-pc Allmans tribute gig. my favorite sound.

guitars vary between Les Paul with medium-low output WCR Crossroads humbuckers or a Chapin Hawk with medium-low output P90s (Harmonic Designs). there are a bunch of others, incl. a Chapin S-style and a T-style.

switching between bias settings doesn't require re-biasing the amp. changing tubes kinda does, though.

i've owned a BF Super Reverb (sold it after having my Juke 1210 for a while), Komet 60, Two-Rock Custom Reverb Sig, lotsa Dr. Zs, Riveras. traded the TR CRS for a Juke head (the only one i know of). still have some Heritage amps (also great) but play my Jukes most.

looking over your list of questions, i guess that's about all i can say. have never played a Rave. it's doubtless as well-built as mine, but the 30w rms holds its own with friend's Pro Reverb (i've come to dislike BF Fenders, they all sound kinda brightish and sterile to me now).

o yeah: here's a TGP review of the Rave & Vamp - http://www.tgpwebzine.com/?page_id=2373 (good job, Scott)

good luck & happy new year

20. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

Thanks, guys, and Happy New Year to you, too :).

Yeah, my Strats and the Reverend all feature pickups which aren't particularly hot, which is nice because they allow the amps to do their thing, and provide more dynamics.

I guess I'll just have to talk with Gary again. I'm pretty sure now I'll go with the Coda for a few hundred extra, but the stock amp is 2 grand, and if having both cathode and fixed is extra, I'll have to choose just one, since 2K is definitely the cutoff for me. Also, I'll have to discuss the tonal differences I can except with different tube-types in that particular model; the ability to go up to 30 watts via 6L6/5881 is tempting, but if these amps rely more on output than preamp gain for their sound, I really don't want to have to get a 30 watt amp cooking in my bedroom to get the amount of dirt I dig (and, as mentioned before - either here or in a different thread - I've never had good luck with running OD pedals into the front of my amp, and I absolutely do not want to have to do that with a Juke if I buy one.

In any event, I've seen LeonC's videos several times over many months, and I like the direction those tones tend (obviously, a few minor tweaks to the circuit along with different guitars, and of course, my playing style, will wield a different tone relative to his...but yeah, his is pretty amazing!). Just not sure how loud he had to get things before the Coda gave up the goods as it does in Part 1 of the video.