Juke Amps! Appreciation! Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hawkeyeinexile, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    Gary, i hope this means you beat whatever cancer you had and are enjoying yourself. my 3 Jukes (Coda, 1210 KT66 head, and 2003 1210) are sweet and strong as ever.

2. Warbler Muse

Warbler Muse Silver Supporting Member

I'm doing fine and enjoying life a day at a time !

3. hawkeyeinexile

am very glad to hear it. :aok

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    To all you Juke owners/players... Is there anyone that uses treble boosters with these amps? Like the Keeley Java Boost, Beano Boost, Naga Viper, Arc Gamet ect....Rangemaster types... Would love to know the results

5. hawkeyeinexile

yeahman. i tried a BSM treble booster with my 1210. it was like it filtered out all the low stuff, increased the gain. made my Les Paul sound more like a snotty telecaster. had a lotta hiss to it, too IIRC...(forget which model, this was about 10 yrs ago...)

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I'm glad to hear that too Gary...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  7. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Member

8. Warbler Muse

Tom
    It was nice hearing from you! It was kinda a wake up call because I haven't been posting to TGP for quit sometime leading many to think I'm no longer building amps which isn't the case. Now that I'm in my 70's I'm only building a few amp a year and usually have some partially built amps on hand to reduce turnaround time.
    Gary

Winnie Thomas likes this.
  9. tlainhart

tlainhart Member

I still play my 1210. It's a wonderful amp - a 175 w/ P90s is the perfect match for me. The vibrato is beautiful on it. I wish it was 20lbs lighter, but I don't think it would sound the same. I've often wondered what the 112 with 6V6s was like.

10. Warbler Muse

Hi Todd,
    Glad you're still enjoying your Juke 1210.
    The 1210's Tri-Cone speaker are a unique sounding configuration unfortunately they have fallen out of favor the last few years.
    The most popular model is the smaller Coda followed by the Vamp which are lower wattages and 15-20lbs lighter.
    Gary

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  11. btg

btg Member

I have all three of the amps you mentioned and the 1210 is getting most of the playing time. Waiting on a new microphone to try to capture the sound of the three speakers together for some recordings I am working on. Nice big full sound

12. Warbler Muse

Barry
    Your Warbler is the only 1210 I've built in the last 5 years. Did you finish your studio?
    Gary

13. btg

btg Member

Gary - I still have some finish work to do on it but it is functional and turned out better than I had expected acoustically

14. Rodip

Rodip Member

Had a nice talk with Gary yesterday, I am excited about the Coda!

Just standard, in green, 5881s, Can't wait to hear my Shishkov running through the amp.

15. Rodip

Rodip Member

One week into the Coda, and it hits a lot of spots... it's so musical, it makes you want to play more. It's a very neuteral amp, allowing your guitar to sound in a natural way. I have heard that Hiwatt amps from the 1970s were like reference amps, and I would say the coda is too. The onboard effects are excellent, I'm really loving the AM/FM trem/vib... it mixes like a drug! The reverb I'm still trying to get a handle on where it works for me, no doubt it is not like fender, but it's also not quite like my Magnatone 10a either... The speaker is very nice, a pleasant surprise for an alnico speaker fan who cringes at ceramics and others... not judging them, just my gut... as it breaks in it gets warmer and warmer... it already feels like an old friend. The layout is concise, I have found that using both inputs really is nice in a flexible kind of way.

One excellent feature is the triode sounds really great, on other amps i have tried or owned, it's usually just a dark muffled mask, while on the Coda it is darker, but it is its own thing.

The cathode / fixed switch is great too, because the amp sounds different in good ways.

The Juke Coda is it's own animal, it walks in the musical woods in a way that makes you smile at it's beauty of sound. You hear hints of legendary sounds, but it's no clone of anything, just a well thought out, designed and built amp. I would encourage anyone who loves American tone to check any juke amp out.

Gary is very nice, loves talking about amps too! I look forward to another Juke in the future.