Julian Lage - New Album "Love Hurts" - UPDATED INFO!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PedalFreak, Jan 14, 2019.

1. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Member

On Instagram, and Facebook, Julian Lage posted a photo, photo was of burnt match sticks, and the caption said "Friday". He has mentioned that his new album is completed. Maybe it's a no preorder release this Friday.

Excited though, seems like new music will be here soon.

UPDATE 1/16/19:
    Just found this! New album in February, Friday must be the preorder. Album is called "Love Hurts".

Track listing:
    1. In Heaven
    2. Tomorrow Is The Question
    3. The Wind Up
    4. Love Hurts
    5. In Circles
    6. Encore (A)
    7. Lullaby
    8. Trudgin'
    9. I’m Getting Sentimental Over You
    10. Crying

https://www.marlbank.net/marlbank/a...-the-keith-jarrett-classic-on-love-hurts.html

There is also a cached page on Amazon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. Megatron

Megatron Member

I'll be seeing him live the next day.
    cool.

3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I saw that too and was also wondering what's up.

I'm always down for new music from him, so let's hope it's that.

Lotus likes this.
  4. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

The matches have to mean something...the tip of the burned area on each one is a musical note with the staff starting from tip to tip? Quick someone decipher it!

PedalFreak likes this.
  5. Bluesful

I was trying to figure that out, but couldn't come up with anything.

6. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

I really dig Arclight and Modern Lore, so I'll certainly be checking out whatever this one is.

weevilcaster likes this.
  7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Agree. I’d be ok if his next one is more of the same. Moder Lore is excellent.....great songs and great guitar playing.

Shnook, fuzz_factor and bugzapper like this.
  8. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

I think its notes on a staff but I guess we'll eventually find out. Someone on the instagram page said "it's an image of the frets on his guitar" - he does burn up and down the fretboard!

Bluesful likes this.
  9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I love watching him live, but his last two albums have left me cold. I would love to see him do something different.

Crowder and Matt L like this.
  10. weevilcaster

weevilcaster Member

Have you checked out the Nels Cline 4?

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

First Time. Not bad.. still probably wouldn’t listen to it for long. Not a huge Nel’s fan.

I’ve seen Julian live on a few different occasions. He is always amazing to watch and his touch is inspiring. The sad thing is I don’t connect to his records. I loved his first two though.

12. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Does not compute. I do believe my circuit board is melting.

13. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Member

I heard an interview where he said that Arclight, Modern Lore, and the next album (this one?) are a Trilogy set to him. Arclight was his take on early jazz, 20's/30's, Modern Lore was more R&B/Rock/Jazz from the 60's, and this next album is his take on 70's music. I never got the R&B feel from Modern Lore, and not sure what his take on 70's would/will be either. But excited to hear it. I love Arclight & Modern Lore.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis likes this.
  14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Just for conversation sake. I'm curious on your thoughts regarding his first couple albums, compared to his newer stuff? He's a great player, no denying that. Everyone has their preferences. Glad he is making music he is enjoying.

15. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Yea, I've heard him talk about that as well. I don't really connect to these comments because my ears don't hear what he hears, but its probably more inspired by rather than trying to fit into that era.

16. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Member

I really liked Gladwell, Sounding Point had it's moments, but it was just ok to me. Should pull it out and listen to it again. But I love Worlds Fair/Arclight/Modern Lore.

Yeah, I don't hear what he's described either. He has said he was listening to James Brown a lot when writing Modern Lore, so maybe Brown's music just inspired him to write that way, and it wasn't really a "I'm writing an R&B style Jazz album".

17. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Member

Off topic, but what is on your pedalboard? Looks like a Princeton Reverb and a 335 next to it?

18. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Sure. And I certainly don't begrudge anyone their personal taste! I hope I didn't come off as personally judgmental. Nels Cline and Julian Lage are definitely among my top five living guitarists, thus my reaction. Everyone's taste is, of course, different.

I see Sounding Point and World's Fair as much safer, straightforward records. The playing is superb and I do listen to them regularly, but my taste in jazz skews slightly more experimental and/or vigorous. I do appreciate the somewhat more spacious quality of these two records, and the less frenetic phrasing/chops. The approach on Sounding Point is more conversational and ornamental than the playing on, say, Modern Lore, which seems to be more of a "unit" based approach. Sounding Point comes off, at times, as orchestral in its presentation on many cuts (exceptions being tunes like The Informant, which sounds more like a Fleckian take on the Modern Lore approach).

World's Fair is a beautiful and intimate record. It's a wonder to hear Julian playing solo and the pieces are compelling. It may be a bit too "pretty" for my taste, as whole piece, but it is in pretty frequent rotation here.

I haven't heard Gladwell.

Arclight and Modern Lore are a bit more Frisell-y. Being a big fan of Bill, that is something I love. Also more be-bop influence. The guitar work is more up front and the tones have more edge, more verb, etc.. The bands on these records are playing as more of unit than a conversational ensemble, which is an approach I find more sonically appealing. It makes me less sleepy, at least.

My knowledge of theory and composition is rudimentary, so I won't bother to engage in that sort of analysis.

Can't go wrong with Julian, no matter what. I don't want to see him get stuck on one particular approach, and like the diversity of his output. I'm excited to see him live again in a few weeks, with Nels.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Melodic Dreamer and PedalFreak like this.
  19. Bluesful

That pic is a few years old so the board has changed slightly since then.

The guitar is a 335 and the amp is a '65 Princeton Reverb.

Here's a more recent pic of the board:

[​IMG]

Shnook, Echoplexi and PedalFreak like this.
  20. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

No, your comments were fine. I feel as though your analysis was good as well.
    In concept one would think Nels would be up my alley, but though I like some of his stuff he always sounds just ok to me.

My top guys are Bill Frisell, Michael Landau, Lage Lund, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Gilad Hekselman and Eric Johnson. I've heard others say Julian's recent albums are Frisell like, but I just don't hear it.

Matt L and anxiousmofo like this.