Julian Lage - New Album "Love Hurts" - UPDATED INFO!

Bluesful

Supporting Member
I could swear I've heard The Windup before, then I realised where I'd heard it - a Steve Gadd band record.

Shnook

I just clicked on the first one and it played, and then proceeded to auto play down the list.
Hmmmm I tried twice. Waited a fair time and still got silence. Oh well. I’ll be getting the CD, so I’ll hear it then.

MartinPiana

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
+1 to Live in Los Angeles. Gig I saw last year was the best jazz show I've seen in some time.

I saw a reference to him not playing a Tele now, but not the origin of that rumor/fact. What's he playing and where did you hear that he's not playing a Tele?

nmontz

I was hoping to make the show Saturday....weather isn’t looking good. It’s a heck of a long drive for me.

+1 to Live in Los Angeles. Gig I saw last year was the best jazz show I've seen in some time.

I saw a reference to him not playing a Tele now, but not the origin of that rumor/fact. What's he playing and where did you hear that he's not playing a Tele?
Gretsch Duo Jet. "1953 body and pickups with a 1958 neck. DeArmond Pickups." - via PG Jams with Julian Lage on 10.3.18.

The Gretsch is on loan from Jeff Tweedy.

PedalFreak

Supporting Member
Gretsch Duo Jet. "1953 body and pickups with a 1958 neck. DeArmond Pickups." - via PG Jams with Julian Lage on 10.3.18.

The Gretsch is on loan from Jeff Tweedy.
Actually this Gretsch is the one he purchased from a friend. I believe in that PG Jams episode he talks about that.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
I love watching him live, but his last two albums have left me cold. I would love to see him do something different.
I think jazz, like blues, is definitively a live medium that often doesn't translate well to the recorded world. It's often just a snapshot of where that particular artist or combo happened to be on one day. I don't mean to imply that the albums are throwaways, but it seems like there's quite a bit less planning and writing that goes into recording them compared to rock, pop or folk music. That's a very traditional approach that goes back to the earliest days of recorded music.

Interestingly, the economics of the industry are pushing artists in other genres to be a bit less precious/less structured with how they approach recording sessions. That's probably for the better in a lot of cases. Less money spent = less to recoup. They can focus their efforts where it counts, such as in getting great takes with the energy/emotion they are after instead of pristine multi-layered dreck.

fuzz_factor

Supporting Member
Julian's T.K. Smith Bigsby-themed guitar is awesome!

Edited because I originally attributed the guitar to TV Jones! Thanks for the correction, WordMan!

Last edited:

fuzz_factor

Supporting Member
I actually don't like the look of that one.

:hide
It's definitely not 'mainstream' looking! I personally like the look of symmetrical double-cuts like SGs, Barney Kessel's, etc., The P-90s, wooden archtop bridge, maple (birdseye?) top, and the big, custom pickguard are cool. I would NOT like a lot of elements of that guitar taken individually (like the trem and knobs), but as a whole, it's pretty neat.

I wonder if it's fully hollow, semi, solid?

I can't tell if it's the camera angle, or if that guitar is giant (or Lage is tiny). Is it 16"? 17"?

More info, anyone?

Denso

Thanks for that! Sounds great! Hearing those samples, I'm kicking myself for selling my Duo Jet, sounds so good! I've got 3 guitars I've sold over the years that I regret selling, and that DuoJet is one of them.
Never... ever... sell...a Duo Jet.

Seriously, I'm playing a Duo Jet myself and it's by far my favourite guitar, though it's quite modded by now with TV Jones Classics and a Compton bridge.
I'm extremely curious how the new album will compare tonewise to Julian's Tele-driven records.