Julian Lage - New Album "Love Hurts" - UPDATED INFO!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PedalFreak, Jan 14, 2019.

1. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Story he told on Premier Guitar was that he played one of Jeff's on the album, then a friend in NY had the one he owns now. His friend lent it to him, then they worked it out for Julian to buy it. So the album DuoJet is a different guitar than the one he is playing now.

2. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Ah, yes! I thought something was a little off when I wrote TV Jones. Thanks! I'll edit my original post too.

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Doesn’t sound like Frisell to me either. Love Modern Lore but don’t here Frisell. Julian has his own style.

ConsiderMeMilesDavis likes this.
  4. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

Going to see him Tues Mar 5 at Le Poisson Rougue.... so happy
    listening to the album right now

vashondan likes this.
  5. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I liked Sounding Post but to me in the world of jazz, his latest recordings are more unique. Something about the sound of a tele with only bass and drums is really exciting. Love the playing, tones and melodies on Moder Lore. Archlight was good but I like the songs better on Moder Lore. Haven’t listened to the new one enough yet.

6. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Good on ya. Wish I was! Enjoy!

7. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Wish he was coming to Boston. Last time I saw him was doing the acoustic duo. It was great, but I prefer the electric trio stuff much more

8. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

I hear a definite Frisell touch in the way some of the heads are played, not so much in the improvisation. I also think the first 2 albums were the most unique
    with the Tabla, Cello, Sax, Guitar, and Bass lineup.

9. patshep

patshep Supporting Member

the new one is more 'free' oriented, his tone is great, and his playing is great
    i tend to go crazy for his playing, but i often get bored of listening to his songs and all...
    i think he is a guitarists guitarist... but an incredible musician... he has this great space in between americana style rock and jazz that is so cool... i think nels cline has influenced him recently

Echoplexi likes this.
  10. fuzz_factor

I hear a freedom and joy in his music - a focus on song and melody and chops in service of that. I know and listen to some of his influences, but not all (and I downright don't care for some of the stuff he really seems to like, such as Keith Jarrett). I've heard people say he sounds a lot like Pat Metheny. Maybe... I've only really listened to Bright Size Life. I just don't see a serious talented musician with wide-ranging and modern influences as a clone of anyone.

His playing of song-oriented acoustic, folk and bluegrass influenced stuff besides straight-up jazz guitar speaks to where I think jazz and guitar virtuosity is headed in the future. His interplay with other musicians like Fred Hersh, Gary Burton, Chris Eldridge and Nels Cline is nothing short of telepathic.

I'm impressed by his technique, but technique alone leaves me cold. I guess I'm a fan boy of his music, style, aesthetic, taste, song-writing and song selection. YMMV!

dlguitar64 likes this.
  11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Interesting.

I don't hear that at all.

dlguitar64, Jon C and fuzz_factor like this.
  12. fuzz_factor

I agree! I don't hear it either. That wasn't my opinion, but criticism I remember reading somewhere. Perhaps I'm mis-remembering... Either way, I love his playing!

Bluesful likes this.
  13. ConsiderMeMilesDavis

ConsiderMeMilesDavis Member

Me neither.

I grew up on Pat's "Bright Size Life," but loath most of his later recordings. Julian, to me, is the antithesis of Pat — in his gear choices and especially in his use of dynamics. Pat (while I respect immensely) is just stale.