Julian Lage - New Album "Love Hurts" - UPDATED INFO!

squeally dan

No, your comments were fine. I feel as though your analysis was good as well.
In concept one would think Nels would be up my alley, but though I like some of his stuff he always sounds just ok to me.

My top guys are Bill Frisell, Michael Landau, Lage Lund, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Gilad Hekselman and Eric Johnson. I've heard others say Julian's recent albums are Frisell like, but I just don't hear it.
Doesn’t sound like Frisell to me either. Love Modern Lore but don’t here Frisell. Julian has his own style.

squeally dan

Just for conversation sake. I'm curious on your thoughts regarding his first couple albums, compared to his newer stuff? He's a great player, no denying that. Everyone has their preferences. Glad he is making music he is enjoying.
I liked Sounding Post but to me in the world of jazz, his latest recordings are more unique. Something about the sound of a tele with only bass and drums is really exciting. Love the playing, tones and melodies on Moder Lore. Archlight was good but I like the songs better on Moder Lore. Haven’t listened to the new one enough yet.

Echoplexi

Silver Supporting Member
Wish he was coming to Boston. Last time I saw him was doing the acoustic duo. It was great, but I prefer the electric trio stuff much more

dlguitar64

Doesn’t sound like Frisell to me either. Love Modern Lore but don’t here Frisell. Julian has his own style.
I hear a definite Frisell touch in the way some of the heads are played, not so much in the improvisation. I also think the first 2 albums were the most unique
with the Tabla, Cello, Sax, Guitar, and Bass lineup.

patshep

Supporting Member
I liked Sounding Post but to me in the world of jazz, his latest recordings are more unique. Something about the sound of a tele with only bass and drums is really exciting. Love the playing, tones and melodies on Moder Lore. Archlight was good but I like the songs better on Moder Lore. Haven’t listened to the new one enough yet.
the new one is more 'free' oriented, his tone is great, and his playing is great
i tend to go crazy for his playing, but i often get bored of listening to his songs and all...
i think he is a guitarists guitarist... but an incredible musician... he has this great space in between americana style rock and jazz that is so cool... i think nels cline has influenced him recently

fuzz_factor

Supporting Member
Is it just me when I hear Julian Lage all I hear his influences and don't hear him at all? I've checked him since he was in Gary Burton's band and have never been impressed except his amazing chops. I'm not a technique fan boy so that's the reason perhaps.
I hear a freedom and joy in his music - a focus on song and melody and chops in service of that. I know and listen to some of his influences, but not all (and I downright don't care for some of the stuff he really seems to like, such as Keith Jarrett). I've heard people say he sounds a lot like Pat Metheny. Maybe... I've only really listened to Bright Size Life. I just don't see a serious talented musician with wide-ranging and modern influences as a clone of anyone.

His playing of song-oriented acoustic, folk and bluegrass influenced stuff besides straight-up jazz guitar speaks to where I think jazz and guitar virtuosity is headed in the future. His interplay with other musicians like Fred Hersh, Gary Burton, Chris Eldridge and Nels Cline is nothing short of telepathic.

I'm impressed by his technique, but technique alone leaves me cold. I guess I'm a fan boy of his music, style, aesthetic, taste, song-writing and song selection. YMMV!

Interesting.

I don't hear that at all.
Me neither.

I grew up on Pat's "Bright Size Life," but loath most of his later recordings. Julian, to me, is the antithesis of Pat — in his gear choices and especially in his use of dynamics. Pat (while I respect immensely) is just stale.

Trending Topics