Julian Lage show. Impressions.

Old Chomper

A small room, completely filled.

Masterful playing from all three musicians.

Great guitar sound. Guitar was the Tele-style he’s been using, a custom Vibro Reverb amp that the TGP’er (whose name I spaced) sitting next to me said was made by a friend of his in L.A. Strymon Flint, and a couple other pedals.

Sweet, clear, warm, occasionally with a bit of hair. A tone I would love to have. I’ll go as far as saying, that the tone from his rig was about as close to my ideal sound as I’ve ever heard live.

I don’t think he tuned once during the show. At least I never saw him. Also, I don’t think he left the neck pickup the whole night. (A P-90 looking pickup.)

If you can, go see him.

JoeB63

Supporting Member
He's unbelievably good on the guitar. A friend of mine was visiting from out of town and made some comment wondering why I still wanted to get better on guitar (like, how much better could you be?). So I put on a JL YT video for him just to show him how much better one could be. I wish I could remember the video, because it was the most impressive guitar performance I've ever seen.

Old Chomper

He's unbelievably good on the guitar. A friend of mine was visiting from out of town and made some comment wondering why I still wanted to get better on guitar (like, how much better could you be?). So I put on a JL YT video for him just to show him how much better one could be. I wish I could remember the video, because it was the most impressive guitar performance I've ever seen.
Yeah, he's got it all. In spades.

T Dizz

Saw him at a small club in January.. The guy's playing is off the charts. The crowd was mesmerized. I've seen 2 guitarists I've felt this way about... Julian and Guthrie Govan. For me, seeing these guys perform is like an other-worldly experience.

ssmug

Supporting Member
I saw him with Chris Eldridge doing the acoustic thing at a bad weather gig with a small crowd so I got to sit front row. Amazing player.
Same. While I would rather see him playing electric, this was a great show. He's impressive on any guitar he plays.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
In addition to various performances, I attended a small “master class” before one of his Wolf Trap (Barns) shows. That was fantastic, very relaxed and interactive and, on Julian’s part, mind blowing IMO.

Old Chomper

I was thinking to myself while watching, that he'd be great to watch while playing other genres of music. Last night his tone would have been amazing in a blues setting, with that little bit of grind when he dug in. It would also be fun to see him doing chicken pickin' for a few minutes.

Trending Topics