1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Julian Lage’s Custom Collings Electric

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tom Rawlinson, Jan 16, 2020.

1. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

This is the one thing that I find odd about this guitar, even though I love DuoJets and would love to be able to get one of these. Julian rarely plays his Duo Jet. The Love Hurts album, the Duo Jet was on just a couple tracks. Live he has rarely played it too. Everyone I've heard from so far said that Julian had the Collings at his Vanguard shows this past week but that he never played it. :dunno

So...did Collings just offer to build him a guitar, and he wanted to tweak his Duo Jet? Maybe the Trio doesn't work for it and he has other plans for it, another solo album maybe? The question that comes to mind if it is his "dream instrument", why is it not being played all the time?

I'm a huge fan of Julian's and Collings, and while this looks like an amazing guitar, there is still something about it that is making me scratch my head.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Collings rep mentioned to him that Ron Ellis pickups sell second hand for as much as $1000. I find it very unlikely that Collings is going to pay $1000 for a set of pickups for a guitar. If that's the case Ron's pickups prices are going to sky rocket very soon. As far as weight, again very unlikely that a trestle braced guitar, even with a Bigsby, is going to be "heavy". That is, I guess, depending on your definition of heavy.

2. The bear

The bear Member

I have seen these type of things happen before... Kurt Rosenwinkel endorsing many brands at the same time, having signature guitars from multiple companies, not committing to anything or staying loyal to anyone. Even Metheny isn't playing his signature guitar anymore..This is why signature guitar isn't a good idea. It would only work if the artist is 100% committed to the guitar, and even then not everyone wants to play some other persons signature guitar. They could have launched it as a regular model and let him have one to use, most likely over time he wouldn't commit to it, but then at least the model is still there and not associated with his name only... Who wants to play a signature guitar of an artist that isn't even playing it?

3. shadowbox

shadowbox Silver Supporting Member

I can imagine how much this one is going to cost.

4. s2y

s2y Member

On the subject of Gretsch, which models have a slimmer neck? I like the idea of a Gretsch and have very small hands.

5. eddie101

eddie101 Gold Supporting Member

Do tell ;)

6. captwillard

captwillard Member

If it costs more than a Gretsch Masterbuilt, its pricing is over the top.

7. eddie101

Not only is that misleading but disrespecting your fans at the same time, but that's just me and what do I know. Only signature guitar that I still love and enjoy playing is made by Gibson, called Les Paul ;)

The bear likes this.
  8. romo

romo Supporting Member

I have owned a couple of signature model guitars in my time and bought them simply because I liked the specs. I don't care if the artist plays them or not. I'm interested in this guitar because I like Gretsch Duo Jets, and I like Collings. Doesn't really matter to me if Julian Lage plays it at his shows, although I do count myself as a fan.

9. Lamby

Lamby Member

Most of them. Most Duo Jets, for sure.

10. The bear

The bear Member

Not to mention disrespectful to the guitar company.

eddie101 likes this.
  11. s2y

s2y Member

Interesting. I would have figured a vintage company would offer beefy and/or v cuts.

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Such a brilliant player, I saw him at Solid Sound last June and it was fantastic.

13. romo

romo Supporting Member

I think Gretsch guitars have always had slim necks, compared to 50’s Gibson and Fender guitars anyway. But I haven’t really played many vintage Gretsch instruments. I’m interested to know the full specs of the Collings. I hope it has a fuller neck than Gretsch. I also hope they use their 24 7/8 scale length instead of 24.5.

14. PedalFreak

I'm not saying Julian isn't being loyal. He, in my opinion, is very loyal to Collings, and I don't see that changing. The times I've spoke with him he seems like a very genuine person, and not someone whos going to jump all over the place to get a free guitar. I just don't understand why get a signature guitar of something you're not playing. That makes me think he has a specific idea in mind for this guitar.

Hoping a Frisell & Lage album will be in the works soon :D

15. The bear

The bear Member

How hard can it be, just play the damn guitar! I own multiple Collings and played numerous. I have never played one that I wouldn't have been able to play on a gig, even straight out of a box. If you get a guitar built to your own specs, it should be even easier, especially if you are involved in the whole build process which I suspect he was. They have such a wide option of different models already on the electric side, it always surprised me that he has never played any of them.
    Played my I-35lc last nigh, such an incredible guitar.

jbd3, eddie101 and PedalFreak like this.
  16. PedalFreak

There have been a number of Collings electrics I've played and they've been among the best guitars I've ever played. If money wasn't an issue I'd easily own a I35, I30 and 360 LTM, and most likely this one. The attention to detail, playability and sound have been so good.

jbd3 and The bear like this.
  17. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

He's sort of a gearhead--I think the only pedal he uses is a Strymon Flint?

He's such a remarkable player. In the unlikely event anyone on this thread isn't a huge fan, listen to any version of "Ryland" you happen to find on youtube.

The new Collings looks incredible. I'm sure I'll own one someday, and I'm sure that, somehow, it won't sound quite as good with me playing it as with Julian playing it..

18. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

You will never be sad owning a 290!

Also, as incredible as this new Collings looks, I would give the nod to a 290 with P90s for versatility. There are a few out there with Bigsbys, as well.

cg and 808 like this.
  19. eddie101

I had I-35 at one point and although it was very well made - amazing craftsmanship! - I ended up selling it. Based on what I heard - Youtube etc - , I think I-35LC would suit me better for my applications so the search continues....

Have you had a chance to A/B those models yourself? Curious to hear about your findings.

Sorry about the hijack. :)

The bear likes this.
  20. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

So, what exactly is the issue with Lage not playing his signature Collings out in public?
    Do you think that because it's "spec'd out" to his liking that he should only be playing it?
    I've got a whole bunch of guitars that are all made to, or happen to be, just my kind of specs. I don't feel the need to play any one of them more than the other.
    If Gibson made me a signature 335 based on my liking of my 68 335, I'd be fully on board but, 9 times out of 10, I'm playing my tele on a gig.
    You guys play guitar, right? Do you just play one guitar all the time? Do you not have a favourite for gigs? Maybe a different guitar for different styles or moods?