Julian's new cd Arclight, a Tele and a collection of Fender amps, a Fender wet dream

Clifford-D

I am sharing this in amps an cabs because people don't leave their comfy forum.

It's not going over so great over there. Being the amp forum there is talk of what he's shooting for tone wise. Small amps cranked can sound spikey. Nocturne is a beautiful tone, maybe a deluxe.

Being the playing and technique forum, I hear his orchestral naturalness, lots of stylistic flips, from jazz to classical to a twangy Tele lick.

His orchestral approach to improvisation is unusual, when he played with Mike Moreno at Stanford you could really hear that quality.

Now, would I like to see Julian do some stuff more like Moreno or Lage (Log-ee)
Lund. YES!!! But that might mean playing a bit darker and not as whimsical, because Julian is whimsical.
So some heavier jazz. I bet a lot of people would agree, just another project.

Could he do it? Do you think he could play with Moreno or Rosenwinkel and keep it fast and dark? Would that take the smile off his face? I think he could play with those guys, and I do think he would smile less.

When I watch Rosenwinkel or Metheny or Sco, it looks like they are in deep focus. Where Julian just seems effortless. So I'm suggesting Julian do that introspective thing, he is very overt.

I know, wtf do I know, I know that Julian hasn't settled into one genre, I think he should put a band together that gets known as a band. And play a bit more music like Moreno. That I would like, something Julian has not done yet, smoking jazz.

I'd like to hear him play with someone like Medeski Martin and a Wood for a few shows or see what would happen if Zorn teamed up with him.

Clifford-D

He's been playing it a lot. Its actually a Danocaster and I'm not sure what kind of pickups are in it but it doesn't sound very Tele like.
I saw Julian in a picture for Arclight where he is holding an old Tele and there's what looks like an old tweed Deluxe, and a pool table. I only have my phone so I don't know how to load it.

dapa78

Gold Supporting Member
I saw Julian in a picture for Arclight where he is holding an old Tele and there's what looks like an old tweed Deluxe, and a pool table. I only have my phone so I don't know how to load it.

Listening to album now. Great looking Danocaster and champ.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to it on the weekend. Fantastic record and great tone.

I'd like to hear him play with someone like Medeski Martin and a Wood
Yes that would be cool!

RE the gear - Julian had a Facebook Q&A over then weekend and someone asked him about the gear on the record. His response: "On the record I'm playing a Danocaster with Ron Ellis pickups through a 1953 Fender Tweed Super (2x10) along with a Strymon Flint reverb pedal."

Clifford-D

I listened to it on the weekend. Fantastic record and great tone.

Yes that would be cool!

RE the gear - Julian had a Facebook Q&A over then weekend and someone asked him about the gear on the record. His response: "On the record I'm playing a Danocaster with Ron Ellis pickups through a 1953 Fender Tweed Super (2x10) along with a Strymon Flint reverb pedal."
Thanks for that, there has been some confusion in articles.

Clifford-D

Except that's off topic and counter to the rules.
So how can I fix this problem?

I'm certainly not going to argue with you. I thought it would be a good discussion for the academic nerds as well as the amp nerds.

Should I nuke them, or you can do it. I respect tgp too much to get in trouble over this.

Just close them.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
You're not in trouble, just post one thread to the appropriate forum. In this case...SHL would be correct.

YOGA64

Silver Supporting Member
This cd is just GREAT, thaks for pointing it out, I didn't know about it.

By the way, I actually LOVE the fact that there is SPACE, 3 people playing, and the tunes are actually different from one another, something I find rare these days.

First time I've ever listened to this artist, and are there any other cds by him that are along these lines?

Clifford-D

This cd is just GREAT, thaks for pointing it out, I didn't know about it.

By the way, I actually LOVE the fact that there is SPACE, 3 people playing, and the tunes are actually different from one another, something I find rare these days.

First time I've ever listened to this artist, and are there any other cds by him that are along these lines?
Julian Lage has a solo acoustic recording called Worlds Fair. It's over the top good.
There is a discussion on one of the tunes "Gardens" regarding his picking on it. I'd love to talk about his technique and arranging on Arclight too

M

Member 995

His albums tend to have different instrumentation. "World's Fair" is solo acoustic (and is fantastic), "Gladwell" is guitar/bass/drums/sax/cello, "Sounding Point" is a bunch of different ensembles (including a trio with Chris Thile and Bela Fleck). He has several duo discs: one with Nels Cline (OK, not great), Avalon (with Chris Eldridge on guitar/vocals), "Free Flying" (with Fred Hersch on piano), ...

Apparently, I've got a ton of his albums! "World's Fair" probably has the most listens, but they all have something to offer.

YOGA64

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, I will check that out as well,

I'm actually listening to Arclight a lot, and I keep finding new and interesting things, how can anybody actually not like it is beyond me...

Trending Topics