Junction Box for Pedaltrain

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
On my pedalboard, I use a device called the "Interwire" made by GFI that's essentially a junction box that allows me to route some pedals to the front of the amp and some through the effects loop. It's about the size of a pedal, and it takes 9v power. The thing that makes the Interwire cool is that if I unplug the effects loop cables, it will automatically route those effects to the front of the amp with the other pedals.

I'm in the process of designing a new, larger pedalboard, and as I'm conscious of space, I'm wondering if there is something similar that I can connect beneath a Pedaltrain that would allow me the same routing control between the front of the amp and the effects loop. I've seen other Pedaltrain boards with junction boxes built into them, but I'm not really familiar with them.

Can anyone suggest something like this?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe something from these guys:
Thanks. That's definitely the right idea and in the ballpark, but I'm looking for something perhaps with the ability to route things either to the front of the amp or the effects loop when I choose--like, in situations where the amp I'm using doesn't have a loop and I want to put all effects out front.

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
what is the power for? I use passive boxes for the same essential function. I like the quality from simple switch in Florida.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
what is the power for? I use passive boxes for the same essential function. I like the quality from simple switch in Florida.
The power is so that the box will automatically route everything to the front of the amp whenever the send/return cables are unplugged.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. That's definitely the right idea and in the ballpark, but I'm looking for something perhaps with the ability to route things either to the front of the amp or the effects loop when I choose--like, in situations where the amp I'm using doesn't have a loop and I want to put all effects out front.
I built my own with switching jacks, but a patch cable between the output of the front end effects and the input of the loop effects works, too.
It has an input buffer.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe something from these guys:
I think actually using this might be the solution I need after all, as I guess I can simply route an extra cable in those instances where the amp I'm using doesn't have an effects loop. This guy explains it pretty well:

Last edited:

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
The power is so that the box will automatically route everything to the front of the amp whenever the send/return cables are unplugged.
That doesn’t require power. Others have noted it has a buffer, which makes sense. If you don’t need the buffer then I suggest the many passive options. I would have made my own but there are folks with volume economy that sell it cheaper than I could make it.

stargazer747

I don't anymore cause I've moved to smaller boards and just use 90 degree jacks right into the pedals but when I used to have really big boards to employ my 4-cable method I had these, one on each board for the cable runs to and from the guitar and amps input & FX Loop send/return. Easily attached with velcro and zip ties or you can even screw them in since they have the holes on the sides...

GtrTravel

if the amp does not have a loop... then patch your front line pedals to the return and plug the send into the amp. Simple and no extra money. I have done it many times.

GMGM

If you were willing, you could still use the BTPA for this. You would just need to have a short jumper cable to connect the loops. You may or may not be willing to do this, so it's just a thought.

For example...
Guitar to "input" (and through your front end pedals), then "output" jumpers over to the "FX Loop input", leaving the "FX loop output" to feed the front end of your amp. It's not as "cool" as having a box with built in switching, but it's pretty cheap, and gets the job done - as a bonus it can install underneath your pedaltrain and save you some board space.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
Will this four-port side panel fit on a Pedaltrain Classic 3?

Fat Dad

Silver Supporting Member
I don't anymore cause I've moved to smaller boards and just use 90 degree jacks right into the pedals but when I used to have really big boards to employ my 4-cable method I had these, one on each board for the cable runs to and from the guitar and amps input & FX Loop send/return. Easily attached with velcro and zip ties or you can even screw them in since they have the holes on the sides...

They make an upgraded version of this, which I use on my pedaltrain jr, that has an optional buffer and will automatically route from 4CM to everything in front of amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom