Junior Brown Gear on 'Monkeywrench Blues'?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Jan 17, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Heard Junior Brown's 'Monkeywrench Blues' on Sirius blues satellite radio the other day and the tone was offscale. I know most of his music is sort of alt country and tongue in cheek, but that track was a slow blues fiesta and his playing was killer. Lotsa SRV tone and the amp sounded like it was melting tubes. I want that sound......Anyone know what gear, besides that Guit-Steel that he used for that track or that he uses in general for the blues....can believe I am asking this question since I ain't a Junior Brown fan, but his tone on that track was absolutely killer and I have gear aquisition syndrome....yeah there should be a 12 step program to treat it...

2. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I've seen him four or five times around Chicago. A couple of times at Fitzgerald's, once at the Old Town School of Folk Music, and everytime it's been a Silverface Twin Reverb. Actually two, I'm thinkin' one's a spare. What a character, and a great player.
    FWIW,
    Rick

3. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

If you saw him live, you'd be a fan no doubt. His records don't capture it - hard to put across that vibe, attitude, showmanship on record. Watching him intertwine Hendrix stuff into old school country in a yellow suit and cowboy hat is about as cool as it gets.

4. RMcFarland

RMcFarland Supporting Member

The only thing I have ever heard him describe as far as set-up are two twin reverbs and a sho-bud volume pedal....He puts packing blankets over them and cranks them....His pick-ups look like EMG's or something similar, no pole pieces or blades.

5. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

two twins with JBLs (99% sure on the speakers), LOUD

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'm with all the above posters.

I've seen Junior a few times - every time he had his GuitSteel and 2 SF Twins. He does not appear to me to use any effects at all - ever.

I have a friend who's seen Junior maybe 20 times - he said he seems to have the same 2 amps every time.

Mind you, the whole show is built around Junior's tone. Junior gets his sound, then everybody ELSE adjusts to him.

That's one good thing about having your name on the poster (GRIN) - you get to have your sound, or at least a version of it, every time!

You really oughtta see him - Junior is actually a heavy player. He comes off with that, "Aw, shucks, I'm just a simple Cowboy" thing, but that's not entirely true; in fact, it's not true at all. He also plays great pedal steel, and writes lots of songs, sings great too.

At the CMA awards a few years back, Junior was presented, I think, the "New Country Artist" award. The presenter was Marty Stuart, who said of Junior Brown: "I'm proud to present this award to Junior Brown - the only one among us (awards recipients) who's actually writing and playing Country Music."

Dana

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

Saw him live at Billy Bob's in 'Vegas. I was a fan of his before but a way huge fan after. He is much better live than on record. I love his tongue- and-cheek humor and his playing is at the pinacle of all guitar players. This guy can do Hendrix better than Hendrix and when he focuses on The Blues, look out Buddy and B.B. Someday, perhaps, his talent will be recognized....or not. Chech him out, you won't be sorry.

8. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

if'n you don't know Jr . . ya better Guit With it!

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Didn't know if he was driving the silverface twins with anything. The tone on that record is pretty freakin amazing and is sort of like Stevie Ray but Junior's amp is so close to feedback that it's sort of a crying tone. I stopped the car and listened when it came on and was like 'Damn'. I know ihe's a player and all goofiness aside was so impressed by that recording that I just had to ask if you guys knew of his setup and if he pushed the amp with anything obvious, like a Twin pushed by a tube screamer. Maybe he has the twin set on nuclear...mind blowing that those tones were captured on tape like that...now I gotta hear the record for myself....

10. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

I've seen him twice. Both times he had two Fender Silverface twins with the volume set to 9 or 10. Don't know if they were both on at the same time. I was about ten feet back from the stage, directly in front of him the first time. My ears rang for two days.

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yes he has some serious tone. If anyone wants to check out some really good junior check out anything from his days before "mixed bag" real down and dirty stuff. He really has an albert king kinda tone goin on when he is live playin the blues numbers. Anyone got his new live cd? I saw him a few months ago and he just started ripping into some latino music EVEN SINGING!! It was SOO hilarious he really sounded authentic LOL (I think that song is on the live CD)

12. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I saw Jr. about a year ago. His playing, tone showmanship and vocals were off the charts.

13. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - 2 Silverface Twins, one of which was Eldon Shamblin's...

14. erksin

erksin Member

I *believe* his pups (on the Guit side) come out of Fender Broncos or Musicmasters maybe (what were those cheap early '80s pre-Squire Fenders called? - not the Lead series - crap! can't remember), anyway they are the 'cheapo' Fender single coils without poles or blades IIRC...

15. erksin

erksin Member

Bullet! That's them...

16. doctord02

doctord02 Member

same report as everyone else; I saw him about 4 yrs ago in LA... he had two silverface twins, and they were dimed. Looked like your typical ****** rental gear to me. Ears rang for days. I *think* he had one of those old Roland analog delay boxes setting on top on one of the twins.

Killer performer.

17. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

I'm a Junior Brown fan, have seen him maybe 6 or 7 times. But honestly, his tone is the last thing I like about his playing. He blows me away DESPITE his tone. Yes, it's always been silverface twins when I've seen him, it's been a bit too loud, and way too trebly piercing. The ice-pick thing. Always need earplugs. But then his playing is so outrageous that I forgive the tone. And I'm not familiar with that particular recording...his tone may be great on that....

18. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I saw Jr. Brown for the first time in October at the Barns at Wolftrap. Totally blown away. His techinque for what he does is spectacular. I had thought one twin was for the silde and other was for the tele side of his guitar. His tone when jumping from slide to tele was seamless and blew me away. I now have on my things I need list: is a copy of the combined tele/slide guitar he uses. Where whould one go to find such a beast? I thought his drummer did a great solo with just a snare and hi hat. His bass player had some good tone too.

19. erksin

erksin Member

I'd seen Junior about 10-12 years ago when his wife was playing acoustic rhythm for him - is she no longer part of the band..? Obviously I haven't seen him in awhile...

20. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Here , then start deciding which bank you are gonna rob to pay for it. Stevens built junior's guitar