Junior Watson wisdom

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mad dog, Jan 22, 2020.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Mr. Watson is not just a superbly talented and tasteful musician. He can be hilarious on stage. Saw him last night, and the in between song jive was as good as the music.

On getting girls via music: "Don't get me wrong. I've had my share. Just not lately ..."

On being an old guy: "Maybe it's time for me to go to the bathroom. When you're my age you know, that's all you think about. Going to the bathroom. I don't even have to go ... but I sort of want to."

Such a treat to see this man play and hold forth. If you get the change, just do it.

bluwoodsman, Bluesra, Brutus and 8 others like this.
  2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

You're using that word "wisdom" rather loosely.

3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Supremely jealous, as I have never had the pleasure of seeing Junior live. He’s been a big influence on my playing over the last few years. I just love the guy. Hoping to get him over to Texas one day. On his new album he covers an old Sam Lazar song Space Flight that I’ve loved for years. Had played it with my band on and off and was excited to hear Junior covering and it and really bringing a kind of obscure tune to the masses.

derekd and mad dog like this.
  4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Great player. Has been a staple of the West Coast blues scene for decades.

mad dog likes this.
  5. mad dog

Ayup.

6. mad dog

He played it last night. Also an Elvis tune with crooning accomplished via stratocaster. Aside from wild, obscure tastes, Junior has such a great sound. Last night, an electric reverb edge on octal fat tone from old Gibson GA20. Such a pleasure to listen to sounds like that.

tapeworm likes this.
  7. gmann

gmann Member

Huge fan, I bought a '59 Pro off of him in '94. He's a funny guy.

8. mad dog

Yes, Mr. Watson is an interesting and funny guy. I got to eat dinner with him, hang out and talk at a local NJ show last summer. It was such a treat to discuss early talents like Bill Jennings with Junior. He was hip to older influences a very long time ago, helped publicize and re-popularize some of the long ago players I'm just beginning to follow. Respect for a fascinating musician and a curious musical mind.

drlucky likes this.
  9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

10. rhartt1234

rhartt1234 Member

I'm a harmonica player mostly.
    I lived in LA 98-2000 and got to know Junior a little bit, but not very well. A few years after leaving LA Junior was playing in Connecticut. I normally have a harmonica or two in my pocket in case I'm asked to sit in, but I thought "Oh, he won't remember me so I won't bother."
    At the show over the mic Watson says "Hey Ryan, ya got any harps with you?"
    "No.", I replied.
    "Good."

I really got to know him when he played on a couple of tracks on my second CD.

burns and mad dog like this.
  11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure of what happens when you try to post a link to a FB post--we'll see what happens! Might create a rift in the time/space continuum. But I just saw this one, shared, don't know the lady who posted it. Source is Bill Stuve, photo of Harman, Watson and Stuve.

tapeworm likes this.