Jupiter Condenser speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by otherone, Feb 20, 2015.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Been reading some amazing things about these. Been thinking about swapping out my 2 12" Jensen reissue c12ns (well broken in) for a pair of the Jupiter 12LCs for a more vintage sound in my '66 blackface Pro Reverb. Anyone with any experience who can chime in?

2. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have a 10SC on order for my 76 Princeton Reverb. Not sure what the wait time is, but looking forward to trying it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. otherone

Lmk what you think. What are you replacing?

4. pappafox

pappafox Member

I have a 66 Pro reverb and a 12LC Jupiter in it. I went with one 4 ohm speaker to lighten her up and to be able to push it a bit more. Bought a 1x12 baffle from Rodgers Amplifiers. Sounds very Fender to me. Perfect, actually. Here is what I have tried; Alltones, Celestion G1265s, G12M65, WGS G12C, Oxfords.

5. otherone

was there a significant difference between the jupiter and the warehouse? thanks

6. pappafox

pappafox Member

I perceive a little less top end with the Jupiter, as well as a bit more thickening of the mids (really splitting hairs here). The Jupiter takes light drive (Red Snapper) really well too. Both are awesome.

7. dcbc

dcbc Member

Original oxford. Speaker shipped today. Amp is in the shop for a few days getting some much needed love.

Was pretty torn over the 10SC versus the 50 watt 10LC. I have a 50 watt Weber 12F150 in my 73 Deluxe Reverb, and it sounds pretty amazing. Just figured I'd try something in the lower power handling range for the PR. We'll see.

8. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I have the Jupiter 8" in my tweed champ and a Jupiter small mag ceramic in my 5e3, both replacing Weber Sig series.

The difference between the 8" was astonishing, turned my champ from listed on CL to my favorite amp. It sounds much bigger now and very full and balanced. The 12" in the 5e3 made less of a difference but the Weber Sig12a is one of my favorite speakers, especially in the 5e3. The Jupiter is much louder, clearer and more balanced. Very even EQ on both and a wonderfully "woody" resonance, they are very articulate speakers as well.

The 8"

[​IMG]

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Everything I read about these Jupiter makes me think they are the go to speakers these days for real vintage fender and other Valco/national amps.

Very tempted to try one instead of Tone Tubby 8" alnico low watt in my Ric M-8.
    [​IMG]

Not that I'm unhappy with TT, but you never know until you try it with speakers. Wonder why Jupiter doesn't make a 8" alnico.

10. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I usually prefer alnico myself but after using the Jupiter ceramic 8", I don't really have any desire to try an alnico. The ceramic sounds that good.

11. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

I have a Jupiter 12" 50W in a JDesign cab -- I play jazz, and it sounds great to me!

12. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

OP: Since your amp is a 2x12, you can swap out one speaker and A/B them. Then you'll know for sure. You can get a tech to help you wire it up for A/B.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Gee thanks, I think. :huh

Guess I just need to order a Emi 820h and one of these and do a shoot out in the little Ric amp now. :dunno :waiting :mob

14. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I just ordered the 25 watt 10" ceramic speaker. My Allen Chihuahua currently has a Ramrod, which is super-efficient. I'd like a little less clean, and more character.

I'll also try it in my Tweed Vibrolux, maybe need a second one!

15. dcbc

dcbc Member

My 10SC arrived today. Will have it in my 76 Princeton Reverb tonight to begin breaking it in. Love the look of this speaker. The cork gasket is a nice touch.

16. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

Thinking of putting a 12LC in my Deluxe Reverb. Anyone tried one of these in a BF/SF Fender?

17. dcbc

dcbc Member

Finally got the amp back. Played it a little bit with the oxford and was remembering why I ordered the Jupiter in the first place. I didn't get a chance to break it in before putting it in the amp. So I spent some time doing some heavier playing to get the speaker moving a bit. I'll try to get a recording of it shortly. It definitely sounds better than the oxford, but I really want to let it break in a bit more. Definitely no trouble getting break up through the 25 watt speaker. But the cleans on about 3.5 sound very nice.

18. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

Curious what others have experienced tone-wise from the ceramic 10" Jupiter 25 watt, from initial installation vs. when it breaks in.

I installed mine in my tweed Vibrolux, which I purchased with a re-coned Jensen OE alnico. Didn't dislike it at all, but seemed somewhat quiet, and perhaps a bit darker than the ideal in my head.

Having installed the Jupiter, it is obviously more efficient. Much louder than the comparative Jensen. And brighter too. Maybe a bit much so.

Of course, this is having about 5 minutes' play time.

So I ask you: what tonal characteristics did you experience from new to broken-in?

19. dcbc

dcbc Member

I'm having issues with my amp at the moment. Some fizz/weird decay. It's going to the shop on Thursday, but I've also got a Weber 10F150t on the way to compare. I think the Jupiter is a nice sounding speaker, but I may want a little more headroom than the 25 watt provides and I have been very happy with the 12F150 in my Deluxe Reverb.

20. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

Actually I spent a bit more time on the Vibrolux and Grantura.

Took a little time to dial in, but think I found settings I love. Adding some Timmy at low gain and a bit of drive allowed me to further refine the tones.

Not bad! Now just to work toward break-in!