Jupiter Red Astron Caps.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by newking70, Feb 10, 2012.

1. newking70

newking70 Member

Thoughts, opinions?

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

3. guiltless

guiltless Member

I was sent one by NewOldSounds because the sent their last .1uf to the wrong address. The thing is really big. Much larger than the yellow .1uf. I wish it was in a situation where I could compare it with a yellow but there is no way in hell I am dealing with NewOldSounds again after they screwed up 3 orders in a row and looks like a 4th and I am always leery about buying from suppliers that don't have an online inventory so I am not sure where to get my Jupiters right now. But I digress.

4. 1guitarslinger

1guitarslinger Member

Don't be suckered by the fun looks...

5. neteraser

neteraser Member

I don't buy them for one reason. I don't like the "bee wax" theme. I know what "bee wax" really is. You're looking for some kind of a different material. :)
    No! Just kidding. :) I'm going to try them as soon as I have some free money!

6. Trout

Trout Member

If I remember correctly, the Red Capacitors that Jupiter sells are tin foil & polyester, not bees wax.

7. wyatt

wyatt Member

IIRC, the yellows are aluminum foil and mylar and the reds are tin foil and mylar. I have reds on a 5E3 board right here that Clark built me but I haven't found time to drop it in a chassis yet.

For a long time they recommended against using the Bees Wax ones in guitar amps because of the heat melting the wax, but someone told me they've changed that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. killer blues

killer blues Member

try parts connexion. I got mine there

9. Marshamps

Marshamps Member

Are they worth the money?

10. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

IMHO, absolutely worth the money. We started using them when I was doing R&D on the HeadKnocker amp (Mick Jones Signature amp). Love them in the tone section.

11. neteraser

neteraser Member

So now I've tried them. No luck. Just as expected. To tell the truth I don't like them much, but they do cost their money if you're interested in capacitors. Have to try, still SoZo are better. The best caps in the world.
    Also. Disappointed with PECs sound... Alphas sound much better as to me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  12. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

Never tried them. Although the axial ones aren't as expensive as I thought they would be. Now the cans... more than I would pay.

13. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

Some description, or comparison to caps we already know, like Sozo, fer instance?

14. HipKitty

Sure...

Mallory 150's...equal in warmth but the Jupitor's had a tad more clarity (this was of importance when driving the tone section wide open)

Mod Oil Filled...too much clarity lacking the warmth of the Mallory's and Jupitor's

Mojotone's Dijon's...rawer than the both the Mallory's and Jupitor's but much warmer than the Mod's

Mojotone's Vitamin T's...sounded exactly like the Mod Oil Filled

NOS Aerovox's...very close to the Mallory 150's...and not enough in my stock to seriously consider them, but I tried them all the same

Sozo Blue Molded's...probably the closest to the Jupitor's than any...in a side by side comp of two proto amps, no one could tell the difference if they didn't know which amp had what...this couldn't be said of the other caps..

Sozo Standard Mustard's...couldn't really tell the difference between them and the Aerovox's/Mallory's in the side by side's as well

Vishay/Sprague 715P Orange Drops...too much clarity..far more than the oil filled caps

Of course, as in all things tone related, the opinions were subjective to the individual tester and the amp (or guitar) the caps are being used in. The Jupitor Red's worked best for what Mick (Jones) and I were looking for in the tone section of the HeadKnocker amp. Would I use an alternative? You bet...the Sozo Blue Molded units hands down. Also, keep in mind that the listings/comparisons above come from my proto test notes...hope it helps some

15. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Joe Morgan redid my dual 40 with Jupiters (replacing the Sozos)
    sounded much better. Richer harmonics

16. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

What's the hot setup for replacing the old Blue Molded caps- just use the Sozo? I have a '61 Magnatone 210 and I want to recap it but I would hate to change the sound- it's freakin' amazing! All original, but very quiet, too.

17. HipKitty

If the caps aren't (very far) off spec/leaking....I suggest leaving them alone, otherwise go for the Blue Sozo's. I've seen a ton of those old blue's that weren't more than 1% off spec...however, when they go....they go

18. guiltless

guiltless Member

If it is very quiet, don't recap it!! Address the Electrolytic Filter Caps only. I ruined a 66 Bassman early on because I thought I needed to replace all of the old caps. I pulled all of the blue moldeds and replaced them with the cheap orange drops. Killed the vibe of the amp.

19. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

If you get a chance, I'd like to get your impression of the CDE (Cornell Dubilier) DME series caps. The 1KV specifically. I've replaced the sozos in my marshall build and I find it's given me a great uncolored open sound, while remaining relatively smooth in the treble.
    You were spot on with the Mojo Dijons. They're polypropylene and although they sound open, they have this raw edge to them that is hard to dial out. Like finely crushed glass on the high end.

20. Tompski

Tompski Silver Supporting Member

I have a vibrolux clone that I am about to try some Jupiter Red Astrons in, currently it has yellow caps that are marked "MT" and after many component swaps my amp still has a bit of a sterile and hard sound, so I'm hoping these put some warmth and soul back in to the tone, I am going to replace them one by one so I can see what changes the most.