Just a few quick comments regarding the AxeFX II that I received today.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Deaj, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

HOLY CR@P!!?! Firmware v5.01 is... ....stunning!

Amp builders should probably start learning to write code now.

UPS arrived early enough for me to have time to install the AxeII in a portable rack case, set it up and check to see that it was functioning properly. Beyond this I really didn't spend any time with v4. Firmware update via USB was quick and painless. It took a little longer to send the v5 preset banks so I paged through the manual a bit while waiting. I power cycled the unit when complete and started with preset 000...

...Wow! WOW!! Dynamic response is nothing short of incredible! Other observations followed almost immediately: the 'feel' under my fingers is right, it sounds and feels like I'm a direct part of the signal chain, the amps sound...amazing!

I don't really have much more to say as I sort lost track of time for a while just scanning through the presets. Couple more quick observations though. The clean tones are amazing - warm, rich, and dynamic. High gain tones are BIG FUN!! Finally - the JTM45 model is fantastic! (as is the Plexi Treble, USA models, Wrecker, Buttery, the Fenders all sound amazing... I'll stop here).

Cliff - bravo sir! Extraordinary achievement! Thank you! :)

Man - this is going to be fun!!

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Congrats and enjoy...the fun has just begun! :aok

3. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

Phrrhrruppttt.......oops....sorry, that was just some GAS (that you just gave me)...!

Man........I so want to try one of these out.

Have fun with it!!!

4. hour9

hour9 Member

How long did it take you to receive it from the point you put your name on the list? (assuming you got it from fractal)

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

If you are having fun, then you are doing it right. :D

:aok

Enjoy the ride!

6. Deaj

Deaj Member

Yes, I purchased it new from Fractal Audio. Took about 3.5 months or so between putting myself on the waiting list and receiving a purchase code.

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'm certain then that I'm doing it right. :beer

8. hour9

hour9 Member

Cool, thanks

9. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Think of it this was, if someone didn't build a bad ass amp, they would have nothing to emulate.

10. Deaj

Deaj Member

True that! :)

While I've gotten to the point where I prefer playing through the AxeFX (Std, Ultra, and II alike - well, more so with the II) I do still own a tube amp. Though nothing special by 'boutique' standards my little Egnater Tweaker 15 combo is a fantastic amp! It doesn't see near the play time that the AxeFX does but I do use it and really dig what it does.
    There's room for both. :)

At some point in the future vacuum tube production will cease. There's no way to predict when but it's going to happen. I'd hoped to see digital modeling advance to being the tube amps equal in live and recording applications before vacuum tubes become a thing of the past. I believe Fractal Audio has reached that point with this latest firmware (not everyone will agree with me here of course).

Tube production (and tube amp production) will continue for a good while longer. These amps won't be made obsolete any time soon (again IMO). Modeling, however, stands a good chance of surpassing tube amps in every way long before tube production ceases. Fractal Audio is fast approaching this point and others will follow (not to say that Kemper isn't or won't - I've no hands-on experience from which to form an opinion of the KPA - merely using Fractal as a prime example given my experience with their platforms).

This can only be a good thing for guitar players. In addition to the tube amp we'll have versatile integrated digital processors offering new sounds as well as more traditional sounds.

There has never been a better time to be a guitarist, and one may be certain that it'll only get better from here forward.

11. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

I'm curious as to how they plan to simulate your rig "catching on fire".

12. Deaj

Deaj Member

Having experienced this once it's something I've decided I could go the rest of my life without ever doing so again. So far the Fractal Audio processors have dome a fantastic job of simulating my rig not catching fire. I honestly can't tell the difference between a tube amp not catching fire and the AxeFX amp models not catching fire.

:D

13. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

haha :beer

14. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Easy, just include a Bugera model... :knitting

15. Richard_G

Richard_G Member

16. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

17. Tmac1957

Tmac1957 Member

It is obvious that I will have to get one of these....and all my other things are dialed in so well. Based on everything i have read and seen, this is the one for me.

Thank you TGP, for helping me spend MORE money :rotflmao

18. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I am still thoroughly enjoying my std although I don't think there is any new room for more big firmware updates, I still love it. Great live/recording tool for guitar.

This!!! enjoy and play on brother.:hiP

19. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

hahaha NICE!!

20. Adman103

Adman103 Member

Completely unrelated, but Craig, I crack up every time I see your avatar.