Just a pinch of buyer's remorse on latest guitar purchase.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Burstbucker, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

After a couple days of owning this used SG the honeymoon is fading fast.

I stupidly bought this guitar and neglected to give it a more serious look. I noticed that the guitar was setup kind of spongy with a bit too much relief but I just chalked it up to somebody else's personal preference in how they like their guitar to feel.

The neck looked straight and it's not old, only a 2013 with very little fret wear. The guitar is in almost new condition, no dings or chips, etc...

Now I've got this noticeable rattle when plucking the open A string anything more than a light attack and it's bad enough to be heard through the amp. And to get the high E string down to 4/64th" above the last fret the bridge has to be completely bottomed out and for the low E string to be 6/64th" above the last fret the bridge is pretty close to the body but still room for adjustments.

Now I'm faced with either trying to flip the guitar without losing too much money but then I hate to have somebody come back after me later if they think that they've been ripped off or take it to a luthier and put more money into a guitar that's now giving heartburn.

The blame completely falls on my shoulders because I failed to be more vigilant in examining this guitar, I don't think that the guy who sold it to me had a clue that there might be an issue with the guitar, he didn't strike me as somebody who was above a beginner so he was probably blissfully ignorant of there being any issues here.

I've bought plenty of used guitars over the years and I guess that I've just been lucky but this latest one will make me much more careful in future purchases of used guitars.

Anybody else here ever regret buying something and then regretting the whole thing.

Now I'm left wondering just how serious of a problem I might have here and how much is it going to cost to rectify this mess.

Gig Young likes this.
  2. amigo30

amigo30 Supporting Member

If everything works on the guitar, such as the truss rod, and the frets don't need replacing - then it shouldn't
    cost more than possibly a nut and a setup. But - when you're done - you'll have a really nicely set up guitar hopefully.

3. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

This sounds like what happened with the SG I bought, luckily it was still in the return window.

Action was too high even after truss rod was set to spec.

Some of the frets were gritty.

And it definitely needed a pot kit cause they 300k or whatever was in it was killing all the treble.

I don't regret the return because that's just too much for a new (to me) guitar that I didn't get a bargain on.

Rod and Burstbucker like this.
  4. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Unfortunately for me there is no return window, I just bought it from a guy here in town. Now I've inherited this problem and will have to deal with it, doesn't sound like I got as good a deal as I originally thought.

I'll probably take it to my tech tomorrow and see what kind of a basket case I've ended up with.

5. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Necks do not supposed to be straight. I would take it to a professional and get a quote and good reading as to how well these issues can be resolved.

You got a like-new guitar that has well-aged wood for (I assume) a heavy discount off of a new one, you have some wiggle room in budget given the case.

indeedido and BlueRiff like this.
  6. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

How many guitars are traded away simply for a lack of a good setup or some fret and nut dressing, etc.

Most NEW guitars I have purchased were not set up properly let alone to my specifications.

I can't count how may POS's I have turned into great players simply with a little TLC...

7. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

That's guitars. You'll get little rattles and buzzes that need to be corrected. I doubt very much that there's something wrong with your guitar that can't be solved with the turn of a few wrenches or screwdrivers. Have a pro do it for you if you don't feel confident in sorting it out yourself. Guitar techs are cheap.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T aspiring cartographer and social media influencer Silver Supporting Member

I’d have a competent guitar tech give it a setup. Then assess the buyer’s remorse.

Every used guitar purchase should factor in the time/price of a setup and dealing with wear items.

9. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

When I said straight neck I meant it seemed normal and not twisted. But then again I might be told otherwise after my tech looks it over.

Yeah, I got the guitar for a bit less than half price if you include tax on a new one, so this was a lot cheap than buying a new one.

I can't in good conscience sell this to somebody else knowing what I know about this thing.

So off to the tech tomorrow, hopefully he can get it sorted out without breaking the bank. But had I been more on the ball I would have definitely passed on buying this guitar unless of course I could have haggle a bit to allow for needed repairs.

Oh well.....live and learn!

valvestate, noisebloom, Tag and 2 others like this.
  10. saltbird

saltbird Member

Buying things used is awesome because you obviously save money. The flip side are things like lack of return policies or warranties.

Always gotta make sure if you're buying something used that you've really looked it over and gave it some thought, as it sounds like you're already aware of. I've been in the buyer's remorse boat more times than I'd like. I'm much more inclined to buy things from places with good return policies nowadays, just because I know myself and the reality of the situation.

valvestate, JWes65 and monty like this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I too bought a used SG with a poorly-set neck. Sold it a year later to a cowboy-chorder, with the problem disclosed. Lost money on the thing.

12. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I'm usually able to dial in a guitar pretty good on my own but this one definitely needs a bit more expertise.

I did notice that the nut was cut a bit lower than on my other Gibsons, that would definitely account for the fret rattle on the open A string but then I noticed that I was getting it on the D string at the fourth fret.

Probably needs a complete fret leveling treatment and maybe a new nut too.

Should be interesting.

13. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

It will be easier to sell if you have it setup right. You can even say you just had it setup. So I don’t think it is money wasted...like polishing a used car and shampooing the interior before selling it.

14. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Sounds like it needs a set up. I have learned how to do my own basic setups, but consider it normal to have to take a new (to me) guitar in for a little work when I can;t get it right. No big deal.

15. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Selling it at a loss, that right there is almost my worse fear, my worse fear would be to have something unrepairable.

Was your guitar beyond repair?

16. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Yeah I did consider that angle. Might as well try to stay positive. Lol

valvestate likes this.
  17. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

Seriously, get it set up. Also, ask them what they did when they're done with it (and you love it), so that you can learn.

I get many great guitars brought to me (or sold to me) because the seller didn't understand that new guitars need a proper setup after acclimating to your home. Almost nowhere does any kind of setup anymore, and it's rarely adequate. It also happens that a nut is cut too deep as a part of an improper amateur setup.

Bring it to someone that you trust before passing it along.

-Mark

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

It was a used Faded. Not worth the neck reset required to fix the problem. Played fine the first five frets, but I couldn't get the action low enough from about 8th fret up, because the neck-angle was set too flat.

Burstbucker likes this.
  19. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I'm feeling a little less depressed reading some of these posts, so thanks guys!

20. larry1096

larry1096 Member

I had an SG-style guitar (not a Gibson, but similarly built) with too shallow of a neck angle; the bridge bottomed before the action was set 'correctly.'

I realized I could remove some material (in my case I used a small mill, but a file or grinder would have done just as well) from the BOTTOM of the bridge, where it rests on the thumbwheel. Took 5 minutes, and let me set the guitar up perfectly.

It also is completely invisible, unless someone starts measuring the bridge. Just something to consider if it turns out to be a similar situation to you own.

Larry