Just amp emulation

dwolfggc

I've got an m13 that i really like, but i would like to just add something so i can go direct to the board when i want or need to. So my question is whats a good unit for just amp emulation. If it has effects thats fine i just probably won't use them and don't what to pay too much for something i won't use.
A couple of things I've seen that look interesting:

Tech 21 Liverpool - seems like people like this one the best of all the character pedals. This would be great if it had an XLR out.

Digitech GSP 1101 - obviously a little more expensive than the Tech 21 but some of the clips i've heard sound really good. It has XLR out and more amp options.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
1) Tech 21 output into a standard, affordable DI box for lo-z XLR out is quick and easy.

2) Digitech RP1000 is almost the same as the GSP1101 and has many hookup and routing options that make it a very useful and good sounding tool.

HolyMuffDiver

When I was using a Tech 21 pedal, I just used a cable that had a 1/4" on one side and XLR on the other. Went from the pedal to a Power Engine then straight to the board, sounded great.

dwolfggc

Is there a sound quality difference between the Character pedal and something like a gsp 1101 or rp1000?

nodata2000: Good call on those mods. If i go the tech 21 route i'll definitely do that.

aaronbarnes

Carl Martin Rock Bug will do what you want.

I got mine yesterday and I'm thinking it is going to work out. I only played a bit with it.

I will say that it sounds much better with a Character series in front of it. I did get far enough to find that out.

Voxguy76

Is there a sound quality difference between the Character pedal and something like a gsp 1101 or rp1000?

Opinions vary. I prefer the Tech 21 pedals myself. They are Analog and give you some of the dynamics you would get from a real amp.
If you need more than one amp model, then you might be better off with a multi-effects that has several.

dwolfggc

If you need more than one amp model, then you might be better off with a multi-effects that has several.
I only need one good one =)
as long as its just a matter of taste and not one is definitely better than the other i'll try the Tech 21 first (cause its cheaper) and then if i don't like it try to do the digital thing.

SealNYC

I've been using Relay G50 > M9 > Pocket POD > PA with great results.
I dialed in the Classic '68 setting on the POD (Plexi into 4x12 cab) with no effects at all, just eq. All drives and effects are coming from the M9... Sounds Great!
Make sure you select Direct Out setting on the Pocket POD.

Axe-Man

For great tones and feel - the 11R

Sounds great and responds like an amp...plus you get 'some' decent FX and a recording interface and Pro Tools.

Has a killer Plexi and AC30 sim. Works for FOH and power amp>cab playing.

southpaw pete

I love the Liverpool. Really works great for me. I really prefer the sound and feel of it over the other modelers I've tried. And the variety of tones you can get with those few knobs is amazing.

bluenote23

I second Axe-Man's suggestion to try out an Eleven Rack. If you want something that feels like you're playing a real amp, then it seems to be the least expensive (barring purchasing a small tube amp) route to take. If you try one, do it seriously. Take at least an hour to test it out and see what it can do. The presets only hint at what the ER can do.
You can go the budget route but my Tech 21 Sans Amp, Pod 2.0 and Pod XT are all in the closet gathering dust now.

dwolfggc

I hear you about the eleven rack and axe-fx. The thing is i'm just kind of testing the water right now. My finances being what they are, if i was going either of those routes it would entail selling everything else to do it. That's just not a plunge I'm ready to take.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom