• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Just assembled my first Esquire

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
It was a relatively painless process too. I learned a lot about setting up the nut (sanding etc). The body, neck, and parts are all finished & aged by Mark Jenny at MJT Custom Finishes. I went for a top-bound body in aged seafoam green. Heavy checking thoughout and the super BIG FAT neck profile- bigger than my '58 reissue Historic Les Paul, actually.

Right now, I have a Duncan Alnico II bridge pickup while my Duncan BG1400 is on order. I have a 4-way switch that I've wired up with some different cap values to give me a few of those 'cocked wah' sounds. Sounds awesome, looks great, plays great, and she's light as a feather.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
Looks cool.:aok
I'll be doing an Esquire build when finances allow.
Mine will be a Pine body,Mary Kay finish,Maple/Rosewood neck w/7.25 radius and a Don Mare 3 Speed Sting Ray Esquire pickup.:dude

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
That color looks great and I love a good Esquire. I'm finishing up a build with a body from Mark Jenny as soon as my Don Mare Super Sport arrives. Should be in a few days. I could see doing another one with a bound body if I could actually make up my mind on a color.

I'm curious if the Duncan BG1400 will fit in the existing pickup route. I know I heard somewhere that it was a little bigger than standard. Either way, it sounds like a pickup I'd like to try.

crifasta

Gold Supporting Member
I wanna know about that CKW head in the background. :rimshot

Nice Esquire. Well done!

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
I recently aspired to an Esquire build and I dig it. I had the ash body and Glendale bridge so I just needed pickup pots and a neck. The neck I got here and it had a Fender and a Esquire sticker. Filled and re-drilled a couple of wholes and mounted it and I ordered a 3-speed Stingray from Mare. Pow!

I played it along side my Elitist SG with Wolftone Marshallheads and found it more versatile.

Great bass and and twang! I really dig Esquires now. With a Tweed Deluxe and a Tone Bender OMG!

michael30

Platinum Supporting Member
Looks cool.:aok
I'll be doing an Esquire build when finances allow.
Mine will be a Pine body,Mary Kay finish,Maple/Rosewood neck w/7.25 radius and a Don Mare 3 Speed Sting Ray Esquire pickup.:dude
Sounds almost like the one I'm doing this summer. Mine will be finished in Sonic Blue and have a Maple/Pau Ferro 9.5 radius neck. :dude

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
This thread has convinced me that I need another Esquire. I don't have one with a bound body so I guess that's what it will need to be.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Amazingly enough, my BG1400 arrived at my doorstep exactly 7 days after I phoned in the order to Seymour Duncan. I guess they're not so busy and MJ was able to wind my pickup right away!

This thing is definitely the tallest tele pickup I've ever seen. Hope it fits! I'd be surprised if Duncan made a pickup that wasn't compatible with standard tele routes. Also, check out the DC resistance- over 30K!! I'm wiring this up with a push/pull to tap the coil.

gkoelling

I did this one as inexpensively as I could and it turned out fine. Hwy1 body, All Parts TRO-C and SD Broadcaster pickup. Tons o' attitude.

coldfingaz

My CV Esquire. I have several much more expensive guitars, but nothing gets played live more than this. It absolutely rips with the HD S-90 pup.

jerrylee

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the HD S-90, I converted a G&L Bluesboy to an "Esquire" with the S-90 pup and Callaham bridge....very VERY rockin' tones.

bsteff666

Looks great. Nice Esquire build.

Let us know your thoughts on the BG1400 when you get it up & running. I've been tempted to try one out.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
BG-1400-
Initial impression of tone: This thing is truly a fire-breathing beast of a pickup. LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. I would definitely compare it to an overwound P-90. When coil tapped, it tames down, but not to vintage specs. Still sounds like a hot single when tapped. I can mellow it out with my volume knob and turn the tone down a bit on position 2. It'll get a hot Keef sound there. Full strength, well it's pure hot smokin' Texas blues solo tone. As you would expect, it also takes away some of that really bright tele chime and focuses more on the mids and lower mids.

As another point of reference, this pickup is NOT as hot as hot rails or similar pickups. Even though the DC resistance is 30K, it tonally does not sound like a 'metal' pickup. I think the best description I've heard is "pearly gates for tele". This is somewhere between a P-90 and an Antiquity humbucker or Pearly Gates humbucker. Probably not for everyone, especially if you're a fan of vintage tele tones. But if you like to rock, then look no further.

Trending Topics