Just before I make my Shiva purchase...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by berklee, Nov 16, 2005.

1. berklee

berklee Guest

Hi all,

I'm about to snap up a Shiva very shortly (just doing my last phase of begging, borrowing and sucking up so that my lady-friend doesn't make me sleep on the sofa).

I've been listening to the amps online, and so far the Shiva really seems to be the best fit for tone with my originals... (I guess it would be best described as blues-rock, but I also need fair bit of headroom in the gain department for covers).

I was just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation, and if they went with something else...

There don't appear to be a lot of "top-shelf" amps in my area, so I'm having to resort to sound clips for reference.

Just curious.
    Brandon.

2. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Shivas are great amps. I would probably still own mine had it not been stolen. When I started looking for a new amp the Shiva was high on my list. I definitely wanted to go with a channel switcher with a dedicated od channel.

Then I checked out the Aiken Sabre. Really close in features; two channels witha footswitchable boost on the OD channel, dual el34s (6l6s available with the Shiva if you like those), FX loop (dual on the Sabre) so all the bases were covered.

In the end I preferred the OD of the Sabre to the somewhat dark flavour of the Shiva. The Aiken has more gain on tap (if you need it, anyway) and seems more like classic Marshall with a little hot-rodding to me. The Sabre is also PTP while the Shiva is PCB.

BrentSP has some persuasive Sabre clips floating around, BTW. :dude

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have owned three Shiva's - so far - in my life. It is an absolute gem of an amp. The clean channel is killer, one of the best of all channel switching amps. You can take comfort in the fact that the clean channel takes pedals very well, so you can create lots of different tones with OD pedals to boot.

The OD channel is a love/hate thing; you either love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. If you like the clips you hear, you'll most likely dig it. I always have loved it. I used the Shiva in a rock covers band for 3 years and it was a joy. I even sold my Shiva to get an Ecstasy Classic..... and ended up selling the Ecstasy and getting another Shiva. The Shiva just fits that type of gig *very* well.

If you buy smart and used, they also hold value very well too... so you won't be out tons of money if you decide to go another way.

Life is to short to doubt yourself, get the Shiva and give it a rip!

4. berklee

berklee Guest

Cool. Thanks, Scott. I've heard some comparative clips of the Shiva vs. the other Bogner products, and it seems to be the
    favourite of mine as well.

It wasn't so much that I was doubting myself as it was that I thought there may be something that I hadn't been exposed to yet - I figured I'd throw the question out there just in case.

Long live the gear page, or something!

:dude

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

After playing Shivas for a while in stores and studios, I finally pulled the trigger myself. Mine should be here Friday after almost three weeks of anticipation. I found it to be the best channel switching amp....loads of TONE! The OD is a love/hate thing....if you're a fan, then you're REALLY a fan! :)

6. berklee

berklee Guest

Great. Nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

I've been a bass player for like 18 years, but I just started with lead guitar a couple years ago. I've got a cover band on the go at the moment, and am trying to do a CD in the process...

Here's a few little things for anyone who cares. :) The two originals could definitely stand to have a lower-gain Shiva type tone to them (along with a complete re-recording, these are pre-production versions.

7. dave s

dave s Member

Scott and Mightguru provided rock solid info on how the Shiva 'behaves' in live situations.

The only thing I can add about the gain side the amp is that it really opens up and breaths IF you play in an envirornment that allows you to push some watts. It sounds excellent at lower volumes but really shines when turned up.

I used a FDII pedal to 'goose' the gain channel for solos. The boost switch on the gold footpedal adds about 3db of boost, but a lot of compression, IMO. So, I used the FDII in its uncompressed mode, minimal gain and tried to use it in a clean boost fashion rather than as an OD.

Honestly, the Shiva was the first amp I'd ever busted off a guitar solo and thought to myself, 'damn ... this is what guitar solos sound like on CDs!' Indeed.

Enjoy that amp!

dave

8. berklee

berklee Guest

Good stuff.

I'm thinking I may try and go for a 2x12. I play with a drummer that's pretty heavy-handed, and that way I should be able to get the volume up on the amp to really let it sing.

I'll probably be pumping a BOSS ME-50 into it for a while, since I'm a big fan of the wah/whammy features of the unit. But I'll probably GAS out and start looking for other stuff too.

Dang... maybe I should have just become a crack addict. :)

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I have a Bogner OS 2x12 and it sounds amazing with a Shiva. Check out cabs with Vintage 30's....the Shiva excels most with this speaker.

10. berklee

berklee Guest

Really?

I thought about it, but was worried that the speakers wouldn't be able to handle the load from an 80 watt head (maybe in a 2x12).

I was thinking about Super Lead 80's, for durability's sake...

11. gregc

gregc Member

I don't currently have a Shive but I've ownded two of the 1x12 combos. I stiull love them and would not mind having another come my way. I simply like to change once in a while and try to move out what I'm not using.
    Enjoy that killer amp!
    gregc

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Vintage 30's are rated at 60 watts a piece. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Shiva-size and OS 2x12 Bogner makes come with the 30's stock I believe.

13. berklee

berklee Guest

Ah, okay. That would make more sense then.

I thought a 30 was in the 1x12 too, though... and one of the people who did the sound samples I heard said that he blew the speaker up rather quickly.

14. sws1

sws1 Member

I LOVE my Shiva. Most especially with a Les Paul guitar (lower gain pups). It is very sensitive to how you play and pick. I used my '59 LP and Shiva combo for last gig and was in absolute heaven all night.

I used an FDII, or a SoulBender, or an Maxon OD808 to goose the lead channel sometimes, or use those pedals on the clean channel.

Without the pedals, I'd set the lead channel to about 10 or 11 oclock, and depending on how hard I picked, I could use it for a jangly clean all the way to a rockin plexi sound. Yumm.

Of course, it's not a high-gain amp where the notes come popping out without having to play very hard. So if you're sloppy, you may be sloppy with this amp.

OH - and like Scott P, I also had a Ecstasy Classic and sold it. But still have the Shiva.

15. berklee

berklee Guest

So you've heard my playing then? :D

That's perfect. I figure a more organic tone will do me a world of good (I have a Vetta at the moment, it's going away soon).

16. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I lost track of how many boutique amps I went through these last few years before getting a Shiva EL-34 head. Those other amps are all gone now, except for a `95 Matchless Chieftain 2x10 combo, but the Shiva is still here. I prefer the sound of 2x10's so I use it with a 2x10 VHT Fat Bottom cab and it sounds phenomenal. I've tried a few other amps but have yet to find another keeper.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I love the Shiva too. However, I liked the Orange Rockerverb even more. I own neither. I A\Bd them direct, and liked everything on the Orange more. The cleans, reverb, and drive channels. Another plus for me, is that the Orange has its OWN sound, where the Shiva sounds more like every other amp in the world. Both great, but for me, it would be the Orange.

18. dave s

dave s Member

Interesting comparison of amps. You must have A/B'd a 112 Shiva combo to the Orange 30? I'm trying to raise the cash to purchase the rocker 30 someone has fs here at TGP.

Tell me more about this amp if you can.

thanks,

dave

19. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

What do you Shiva fans think of the EL84 version with 2 10's?

I'm attracted to the lower wattage of the EL84's. All the clips I have heard, which are great, are EL34 or 6L6.

20. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Great :rolleyes:
    These are the 2 amps I'm considering next
    Hmmm, which one first :confused: