• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Just blew an EL84 in my Vox AC30. Whould this make me an a-hole?

I was running a quartet of black plate Sylvania EL84's in my AC30 until one shot lighting at me last night. :eek: Would I be a total retard if I just replaced that one that burnt out with an Electro-Harmonix, JJ, or Sovtek I have laying around?

wsaraceni

id guess it would depend on how well the ones you have laying around match the other ones in there.

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
For the first 40 years of my guitar playing experience...that's what I and most all professionals did back in the day (unless the quartet was quite used, abused and tired).

However, you may have quite a mismatch which may sound a bit swirly! ...which is cool too.

You could just save your NOS threesome until you find a "like" replacement and just go with a cheap set of matched JJs...they seem to work well for many folks. This way, you can save your coveted NOS for a critical recording session...et al.

I threw the Sovtek I had laying around as it didn't require me pulling a JJ out of my Valve Jr. and/or pulling the box of valves down out of my closet. Sounds a little flatter than a solid quartet of Sylvanias, thanks to the Sovtek's notorious flatness, but it ain't bad. I also get a little hum while on standby, but hey, whatever.

panhead5

Gold Supporting Member
:joI think people bow to political correctness on doing a quartet,getting the amp biased yada,yada ,yada so people don't think they're assholes . I replace tubes with whatever I have laying around until I can make other arrangements.

No you're not an asshole --you are a gigging musician in a jam !!!

:joI think people bow to political correctness on doing a quartet,getting the amp biased yada,yada ,yada so people don't think they're assholes . I replace tubes with whatever I have laying around until I can make other arrangements.

No you're not an asshole --you are a gigging musician in a jam !!!
Gigging musician? Yes.

In a jam? Not really. I actually was getting my blues on to some backing tracks last night in my music room at the back of the house. I'm on gig hiatus for two weeks, so I could effectively order a new quartet if I really wanted to. Can't order some JAN Sylvania black plates though. I might just run these 3 with the Sovtek until another one pops then buy some JJs and give the remaining two to my buddy with an AC15. :D

tele_jas

You'd probably be ok for a little while, but I've heard horror stories about AC30s and mis-matched tubes.

Trending Topics