just bought a 66 bassman, need advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coolhand78, Sep 10, 2008.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

yep just bought a very clean 66/67 bassman and am wanting to try to achieve something along the lines of the slow voodoo chile tone...

the amp is all original appart from the tubes that have been replaced... i'm curious as to what people suggest for these amps... i've got 7581a's in my vibroverb, and am not really wanting to spend that much money on new tubes for it... are winged c's a good start for this amp? current has GT's in it...

the other and more important issue is what cab and speakers? i'm thinking 4x12 but am not sure whether to go with greenbacks or ev12L's or v30's or g12-65 or 80's, i live in australia so trying all this stuff out is impossible... so your advice is hugely appreciated...

my full gear list is in my sig and i play creamy/hendrixy/srv type stuff.. (dont we all) :)

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

got cannibis rex in mine and Rca Black plate 12ax7 and yes sovtek 5881 the 5881 were there when I got it and they sound grity dirty and sing like Voodoo child never felt the need to change them

3. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

My BF Bassman through one of my 2x12s with Goklds or 65s is way happening.

4. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

:agreeI've got Sovtek 5881's in my '66 Bassman too, and it screams sweet creamy tones of goodness. Might I suggest picking up a http://avatarspeakers.com/ G212H Traditional Special Cab. Read all the amazing reviews about them @ the site. Plus... they only cost $298 LOADED w/ a G12H and a V30??!!!!!
    Crazy nice, and they look sweet too. All the best in the quest! :dudepeace J

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

SEDs in the power amp. They sound better than the GEs my Bassman came with. Tried a few preamp tubes, I have Sovtek LPSs in there now. Find something NOS for the phase inverter slot.

6. coolhand78

is there a huge difference between a 2x12 and a 4x12?

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I have a '64 Blonde Bassman head. It was strong, a real brute, but I brought it to Roy Blankenship to have him go through it.

He didn't have to do much to it - cost me about $125 (not saying that's what your's will cost). It made a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the dynamic response of the amp. Now, it's gone from being strong and brutish to strong and subtle.

Maybe have somebody go through it - maybe even Roy Blankenship - especially if you're not totally sure of the condition of the guts. I got excellent mileage out of my 'checkup' - you might too. I know we all hate to bring our old amps in to the tech, fearing they might find $400 worth of work in there, but it turned out great for me.

Made a much bigger difference than changing tubes did.

http://www.blankenshipamps.com

Just 'sayin, Dana O.

8. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I play my '66 bassman through a closed back 2x12 with Jensen C12K's. Love it but it's LOUD!

9. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I've had a '66 BF Bassman for a while. It's not stock. I wasn't original when I bought it and had iron changed out. Anyway, it's been Allen/Master Volume modded. It also has an external bias mod, and just recently I got it modded to take El-34's and 6V6's. Most of the recordings I've made using this amp have been with 6L6's,but now that I've got it loaded with EL-34's,it really sings. I can get some really sweet singing sustain at almost bedroom levels. The key is the master volume mod. I mainly run mine through a Mesa 1x12 openback cab loaded with a reconed 4 ohm Celestion V-30 speaker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

If your bassman has the original output tranny, it will want to see and sound best with 4 ohms. This is easiest accomplished with two 8 ohm speakers.

I've owned an early 60's blond, mid 60's blackface and early 70's silverface, and IMO, they are fantastic value amps.

My favorite speaker combination with them is a combination Vintage 30 and a G12H, though I liked the stock C12N's that came with one up to a certain volume.

11. coolhand78

what about 2 or 4 of the celestion heritage G12H's? Would these be a good choice?

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a bassman I run with 2 Scumbacks through a pair of 1x12" HAT cabs,one open.one closed.It's a substantial tone.

13. coolhand78

I've decided on an open back cab with scumback h75/h55 speakers, but what i'm wanting to know is how do the 2 speaker outputs work? are they 4 ohms each? being that if you were to run 2 x 4 ohm cabs the amp would 'see' 2 ohms? or are they 8 ohms each? i'll only be running the one cab, and i'm assuming that it needs to be 4 ohms but it'll only be using one of the line outs? can someone help me out here?

cheers...

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

get the 8 ohm flavor,plug them in parallel,and rock...the amp wants to see 4 ohms.

15. coolhand78

do you mean get 2 x 8 ohm speakers wire them parallel to get 4 ohms?
    and therefore meaning that the amp has 2 x 4 ohm outputs?

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I believe a Bassman wants to see an 8 ohm load for each speaker output. If you run two 8 ohm cabs (or individual speakers), they outputs are wired in parallel, so two 8 ohm cabs/speakers will be a 4 ohm total load.

I know the 59 Bassman I saw recently (hey zerocharisma!) needed two 16 ohm Scumnicos wired in parallel to 8 ohms to use with it. And there was an extension cab jack for another 8 ohm cab, too.

Hope this helps!

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

The speaker outputs are parallel, so yes, two 8 ohm cabs/speakers will do the trick, or a single 2x12 4 ohm cab (with 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel), as by original design if you bought the head and original cabinet.

18. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I use two 8 ohm 1x12 cabs with a 66 Bassman. Plug one into each speaker out, shows the head 4 ohms. Using Emi Wizzards now. Thinking about changing, may have to try the v30 G12h combination...

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

you are correct,sir.:banana

20. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Very nice combination, IMO. I use a closed back 1x12 with a G12H30 (slightly chimier version of the G12H Heritage) in tandem with an open V30 for a 40 watt Fender Blues Deluxe.