Just bought a '80 Japanese Ibanez AS-50... Holy S#*#

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HarryJ, Mar 24, 2006.

1. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I was a bad boy... and I need another guitar like a hole in the head... but... WOW! This guitar is absolutely stellar! Tone beyond belief and plays like a dream. could use a fret dress. The neck pickup was replaced years ago, no markings on the back. DC resistance is 7.8 and has a very low magnetic pull, perhaps alnico 2. What a tone! Stock bridge pup is very warm and sings. This model is 1/8th smaller than a 335, and a touch thinner, just like my Heritage 533 which is trembling with jealousy right now. If you can find one, I highly recommend it. I'll post clips to my site soon.
    Click on pics for close ups, there's birds eyes in there :)

Harry Jacobson
    G.A.S. sufferer
    www.harryj.net

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Hey, Harry... looks SUPER...!

What's the neck profile like..? Also, is it a standard Gibson scale...?

3. WordMan

WordMan Member

I have an '81 - stock 100% original, cherry finish with spalted maple (a specific type of figuring that almost looks birds-eye instead of quilted or flamed). HarryJ, I wonder if yours is spalted maple, too - it is very hard to work with - spalted maple tends to splinter if mis-handled - so yet another sign of the fine Fuji Gen Gakki craftsmanship...

I actually plan to list it on eBay very soon - to answer your question Dave, it has an excellent, classic 80's Ibanez slim profile neck - very fast. That is the ONLY reason I would consider selling it - I am a super-big-handed, chunky-neck kinda guy, I have learned.

These are really great guitars...

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Humm... maybe it is spalted. Looks like lots of smaller 3D birds eyes
    Anyway it's great. The neck is pretty slim, but super comfortable for me. Feels like 24 3/4"

It's kind of funny, you read so much about cold pressed steel, titanium, or aluminum being so important for the "best" tone... this has what I'm guessing is a Zinc bridge and tailpiece. It's not magnetic, yet not super light either. The bridge pieces themselves are also not magnetic. Humm... is brass magnetic?
    Not sure just how much better it can get though.

So Dave, been a long time my friend... come have a few brews, 'n play some tunes with me at Havana's

HJ

5. WordMan

WordMan Member

You can go to http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/ and find the message board - they may have info on the materials used to make the bridge.

Bottom line is that the guitar just sings - the craftsmanship is just wonderful...I just wish the darn thing had a chunkier neck!!

6. WordMan

WordMan Member

Hmmm for me, too - I am not a wood expert and went by Spalted because the guy I bought it from said it was and seemed to really know what he was talking about.

However, this site:

http://www.edromanguitars.com/wood/spalted.htm

has some photos that DON'T look like your or my guitars - in those photos, the spalting appears as dark lines that follow the grain of the wood. Mine look decidedly birds-eye...

either way, a gorgeous look and if they wanted to use birds-eye, who am I to complain? I just wish I knew for trivia's sake...

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Tuesday night...? I'll be there!

8. ecm1117

ecm1117 Member

Harry, that looks just like the AS-50 that's been for sale on Harmony Central for a while. I thought about buying it last month but I opted for a late 1981 AS-50 with the original Super 58 pickups instead. I just received mine last week and I agree with you - these guitars are great! The Ibanez semi-hollows from 1978-1984 are some of the best around. Great design, tone, and build quality; this must be why they're becoming more sought-after.

I had a chance to try a brand new ES-335 last month ($2400!) and I didn't like it as much as the AS-50; of course, I'm biased because I have a thing for these old Ibanez guitars. They're just an excellent value.

Here's a nice pic of mine:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jkilchherr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/as50-01b.jpg

9. HHB

HHB Member

I just grabbed this one, it's an '81 w/ Voodoo 59's in it, sweet sweet axe, Harry is right!

[​IMG]

10. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Ibanez made some VERY nice guitars in the Mid-Late 70's and into the early 80's.

Maybe I have to look at one of those 335 knock offs....

11. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Ibanez is next in line for Hamer-type buzz around these parts, IMO...
    I had an AM-205 in high school. It was a small bodied semi-hollow with all the nice cosmetics. I'd LOVE to have that one back.

12. HHB

HHB Member

can someone measure their pickguard for me? I'd like to get one and I guess I need to try and cram an Epiphone or Gibby guard on there

13. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Same here. I had one (early 80s, don't remember the year) and I too sold it only because of the really slim neck. Actually the neck would be fine for a majority of players; about like a modern 335. I just prefer 50s style necks. But the workmanship and tone (with the stock pickups!) was just fine. Sounded like 70s Freddie King through my Twinmaster.