Just bought a blackstone OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleblaster, Jun 24, 2006.

1. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

What am i in store for:RoCkInTelecasters through fender tweeds and my beloved 59 gibson GA-20

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

Check out Oz Noy's playing on one of his two CDs, "Live" or "Ha!" It's a good showcase for the Blackstone. The music has been described as Jeff Beck meets John Scofield in James Brown's band.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

The blackstone was a little too heavy for me. I wonder how the GA-20 speakers will take that kinda punishment! :RoCkIn

:D

4. apd

apd Member

it was a bit heavy for me too with a pine tele and a 5F1 clone. i ended up with a Barber LTD which works just great for me.

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

I took the original p12r out and installed a weber 12a125 ( think a strong p12q )this speaker has held together through many boost pedals

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Nice!!

7. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Didn't work for me with a Tele and an AC30-I have a feeling it may prefer tighter sounding amps.

8. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

What do you mean by "too heavy"? My Blackstone will get just as light as any of the low gain overdrives and is perfectly happy doing so. I kept the Blackstone over every other OD I have tried. It will add the slightest amounts of overdrive with the best of them, and give you the heavier stuff when it is called for. I use mine now with a tele or a strat into a tweed Deluxe clone. Light to heavy is just a guitar volume tweek away, since it cleans up better than most OD's, especially opamp OD's. My Ge fuzzface clones are the only thing that clean up better.

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

OK, things I didnt like about the much touted Blackstone:

1. The little tiny knobs that I had to use a small jewlers screwdriver to get into to turn were a PITA for me. Now, granted, if you use a small pick then I am sure you can adjust them with ease.

2. The internal adjustments were also a HUGE PITA! I mean changing capacitors for tone adjustments???? The other tiny trimpots inside the pedal are an even bigger pain to adjust due to having to not only take the back plate off, but once again having to break out the jewlers screwdriver (this time one of a different size).

3. It was high gain for me. When I did attempt to use it as a low gain pedal that high gain shrillness always seemed to be there. Hell, maybe I was just doing something wrong! :( I was really hoping to find some GREAT sounds outta the thing. I was using a princeton type amp, so maybe that is where the problem lies. :jo I haven't got a clue.

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I loved the thing...my only beef was it was a bit transistory once wah was engaged, both buffered and unbuffered.

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Counterpoint is good and everyone has a right to their opinion.

I still feel the Blackstone is the finest and most useful OD going... but that's me. I can easily change the pots on top with my fingernail; the internals take a bit of time and work due to their size, but dialing out treble is actually pretty simple; I never had to. All the cap values inside mine are stock; I have the brighter LED mod done to mine.

It's all just subjective opinion though. So there you are.

12. onemind

onemind Member

52 Reissue into Appliance into Swart AST yield some very usable OD tones.

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah, it kinda makes me wonder if the previous owner messed with the internal settings. I would LOVE to try version 1 as it was supposed to be lower gain.

As far as the fingernail thing goes, well, I couldnt fit mine in there. I guess your fingernails are just longer. :eek:

[​IMG]

:p

14. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have no problem with the external adjustments. I like that they don't get moved around by accident. My fingernails fit in them so that works.

But I do hate internal adjustments as a rule. I have found that by and large the Blackstones internal trimmers are set them once and forget them type of affairs. But as a rule hating internal trimmers is a legitimate complaint in my book. Might have made the pedal uglier, but I would have found room for two more of those flat screws for the gain and treble trimmers to be moved topside. As for the socketed caps, I think that is a pretty cool idea. I am an electrical person and it gives me a lot of options. Others can just leave them stock and be no worse for wear, as they sound pretty good as is. Jon did his home work on this pedal for sure.

As for the low gain, I wonder if the internal gain trimmer was the problem? I am able to get very low gain tones from my Blackstone without the problems you describe. In fact I thought my Blackstone, at lower gains, went head to head with my Timmy pretty well, albeit a slightly different texture. Well enough that keeping them both seemed redundant. However this is a very subjective area. Maybe we heard the exact same thing, and I liked it and you didn't. Hard to say. Too many variables to pin this one down over the internet. I generally keep my Blackstone set to higher gains (by Blackstone standards anyway, in reality this is a low-medium gain at best) and back down the guitar volume to control it, but it was quite capable of sweet low gain tones. I was using a strat/tele into a SF Vibrolux reverb, and a tweed Deluxe clone.

15. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Boy, have these gotten popular again in the last few months. I picked up a mint used 2SV3.1 in June 2004 for $160. Doesn't seem possible these days...

I ran mine through a Blackface Bandmaster. The brown channel was my favorite low gain OD, and the red channel was just 'pretty good' IMO. I do remember that nothing has ever cleaned up as well with the guitar's volume knob... I think I want it again. What the hell is wrong with me?