Just bought a Custom shop ES335!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rpavich, Nov 18, 2005.

1. rpavich

rpavich Member

Hi,
    I just sprung for one of the Gibson Custom shop ES335's in satin finish red...you know; the cheap one.

Does anyone have one of these that they can comment on?

Also, I have a SD '59 and JB from another 335 clone that I really love along with a "bluesbucker" wiring kit....do you think that the stock '57's are good pickups? Better than the ones mentioned above?

bob

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

How well does it stay in tune? I have a vintage one everyone always drools over whenever I pull it out, but it won't stay in tune worth a damn, to the point where I feel like chucking it sometimes...

3. rpavich

rpavich Member

I haven't gotten it yet! I'm just trying to satisfy my GAS while I wait!

I wonder why it won't stay in tune? I also bought a set of nut files...I've NEVER bought a guitar yet that had a good set up; no matter how much it cost..

bob

4. Dylan Fagan

Dylan Fagan Member

The 57's sound rediculously good in the 335. Clean up real well too. They still make em pretty fantastic, all I felt inclined to do was change out the pots/tuners. Now it's a dream!

5. Graham Sloan

Graham Sloan Member

My 1964 ES335 sounds awesome thru my Dumble! Well, okay..... Mesa Mark IV :)

6. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I have of '57 Classics (plus for the bridge). Once I get them installed into my 30 year old Epiphone Riviera, I'll ket you know.

7. vinni

vinni Member

Have you tried the Heritage H535?
    I really like mine!

Vinni

8. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

This thing has full humbuckers, not minis. No routing required.

9. rpavich

rpavich Member

Ok,
    got the 335 last night...here is the report:

Overall; very good quality...I saw nothing wrong. The action could be adjusted pretty low but in my opinion; needs a slight "dusting" of the frets...my preference is pretty low action.

Finish was good; no obvious problems; unseated frets, marks in the finish, bad joints, crooked tuners....nothing like that...

So...I'm still undecided on the '57 classic's vs the JB / '59 combo. I tried swapping out the pups last night and got about half way thru and couldnt fish the guts through the "f" hole so I had to turn back and put the thing back to stock....I didn't have a "toggle switch" wrench and without being able to get that out..there was no room to work...

I'm going to put in a "bluesbucker" wiring kit from torres. I've had it in all my guitars so far and love it. It consists of:
    1meg volume pots
    Volume roll off caps
    Master push/pull midrange control instead of neck tone
    master tone control

It makes the pups clean up better than stock wiring in my opinion.

Does anyone think that they wouldn't do these mods?

bob

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I have a total tone monster '01 '59 335 Historic in sunburst. It is easily on par tonally & in playability w/ 2-3 real fine late 50s/early 60s 335s I have personal experience with and it plays like butter.

Apparently I am lucky, I've heard of many 335 Historics that may sound good but don't play easily , etc., this one is perfect with the Classic 57s, even my (way worse than me) tonehound friend who picks nits and tinkers all day to search for perfection commanded that I not change anything in this one.

Cheers,
    JC

11. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

I'm no fan of 57 Classics, but I have to agree they are flat out just a perfect combination for 335s. I'm sure there's better out there, but they've worked really well in my 335 for the last two years. So much so that swapping p'ups hasn't crossed my mind.

12. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

The '57s come standard in the Johnny A. I can't imagine swapping them out; they sound great. JA obviously feels the same way, too.

Gary

13. rpavich

rpavich Member

OK, here is my plan...

1.) Get a crown/dress/set up

2.) Play at gig...evaluate pups

decide on the pup swap...

bob :D

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I think the 335 is the best Gibson ever.

Congrats on your new guitar :)

15. mbratch

mbratch Member

According to Gibson's site, the '57s are what come standard on almost every 335-type guitar they have, and the sound samples provided have a huge range of tones.

Pup and wiring changes in a 335 type guitar are a bear. You don't fish everything through the F-hole. You have to remove the bridge HB and fish things through the hole between the bridge HB and the eletronics section. It's do-able, but tedious and deserves that you take your time with it to avoid buggering anything. What many recommend, which works well, is to tie dental floss to the pot shafts and switch so they are easier to pull back through the other way when reinstalling.

I'm sure the 59/JB combo would sound good in the 335. Really hard to tell what you'd like better until you try it. Also, I'd recommend trying a variety of other adjustments before making a final call on a given set of pickups. Things like pickup height, tone (amp & guitar), etc.

16. rpavich

rpavich Member

Guys,
    thanks for the good ideas...
    I'm gonna audition the existing stock set up for a week or two...see if I like it and it's usable in a gig situation...

I think that the thing that I like about the wiring kit is the 1meg pots vs the normal 500k that come stock.

No matter...once I gig it, then and only then; I'll decide to put in the wiring kit/pups or both/either..

bob

17. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I like the '57 classic pickups better than burstbuckers. They are smoother sounding to my ear.

18. TimD

TimD Member

Where do you gig in WV, I'd like to come and check your band out.
    I gig in Charleston at least one weekend a month.

Tim

19. rpavich

rpavich Member

Ok...report on the new wiring...

The Bluesbucker kit....sounds great, took me from 8:30 pm to 2:30 am to do!!! ouch!! never again!!! multiple tries fishing things through holes!

But it sounds good and the only thing that I'm gonna try now (tonight) is to put in the "JB-bridge/'59-neck" combo to see if I like it...

I do like the '57's fine...It's just that I can't let it go...I have to find out if the other combo is better...I'm a little sick that way!

bob :D

PS: Unclemeet, My gigs are strictly in church these days...but if you want to come..you're welcome to...

Where is "St Albans"? I'd like to come see you play...(I don't get out much these days"...maybe jam with you one of these days?