Just bought a Hamer that I didn't need

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sosomething, Aug 9, 2006.

1. sosomething

sosomething Member

Hey Guys, I couldn't help myself.

I just picked up a used Hamer Monaco Elite Mahogany with a transparent cherry finish from GC last night. She's a player, for sure. A very nice guitar, and my first Hamer. Fit and finish are great - I can get the action crazy low (too low, in fact, and I love super-low action) and the frets are perfect. This is the stripped-down Monaco Elite - no binding, no maple top, no fancy inlay, etc. This guitar is SOLID.

The only playwear is two small dings in the clear coat on the bass-side edge of the body - otherwise it's mint. The original owner must have had good taste, because they replaced the original Duncan 59 in the bridge with a Gibson Burst Bucker (II or III, I don't know the difference) and it sounds great. A huge, full-frequency sound with a big (but not boomy) bottom-end. It's frighteningly vibrant for such a thick hunk of wood. There is definitely something to be said for 9 lbs of honduran mahogany, two buckers, and a stop-tail.

I had actually gone into the store with the intention of picking up a nice acoustic - there was a really nice, used Gibson Songwriter that was calling my name, that is until I played the Hamer. Bad idea.

Now I have another set-neck dual 'bucker guitar that I don't have too much of a practical use for (I'm a trem guy for the most part) and no acoustic (which I would have a practical use for). I lack the means to own them both right now (need to do some furniture shopping with the S/O) but this Hamer is sweeeeeet.

What would you guys do in my situation? Keep the Hamer? Take it back and get the Songwriter (which was very nice)? Get another trem-equipped electric (which I ALWAYS have a practical use for)? I have 30 days to make up my mind.

2. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

Hamer USA makes a top-notch instrument.

I only ever got rid of 1 USA Hamer, and I regret it big time.

Keep the quality.

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I'd rather get rid of my gibson than my hamer, and I've had that one since I was 16!!

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

Get the acoustic.

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I like Hamers, but I'd take that one back while there's still time and get the acoustic. You'll always be able to pick up another Monaco Elite in the future if you want on the used market, but I wouldn't let a great acoustic go.

-Austin

6. sosomething

sosomething Member

Thanks for the responses, guys! I appreciate the level-headedness you're providing here. The bird in the hand, and all.

I'm leaning towards taking the Hamer back, but it's really a smokin' SC so it's about a 60/40 split.

7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Keep the Hamer, my Monaco Elite is my #1 guitar.

8. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

9. sosomething

sosomething Member

well....

10. HHB

HHB Member

that model has the softest resale in an already soft hamer used market, something to keep in mind

11. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

Take back the Hamer and buy the acoustic. You can always find a good deal on a used Hamer.

I'm not knocking Hamer. I have a Newport that I would never part with, but I can't imagine not having an acoustic.

12. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

A few years ago I realized the electric is really the instrument for me. I have a bunch of quality electrics and a decent acoustic. The acoustic gets a fair bit of use, goes to the beach, camping and travels with me. I have resisted the urge to upgrade the acoustic to the quality level of my other instruments.

My advice is if you feel you are really an electric player and acoustic just fills a niche, keep the Hamer and look for a decent inexpensive acoustic. If having a nice acoustic is a big part of where you want to go, then that should have been the next aquisition. Its not like you are passing up the only great sounding great playing Hamer in the world. There are lots of sweet instruments out there.

Shawn.

13. sosomething

sosomething Member

I've noticed.

As for the acoustic - I'm staying willfully ignorant of things like bracing configuration, rosewood over mahogany, etc. and am just intent on finding one that plays good in my hands and sounds good to my ears. If that leads me to cheapo-land, great. If not, oh well. To my rather unsophisticated palette, the Songwriter beat Martins, Taylors, and high-end Breedloves costing 2 and 3 times as much on the wall next to it.

FWIW The Gibson Songwriter was $100 cheaper than the Hamer.

Now I'm really leaning towards returning the Hamer. I hate how I can vasillate on these things. I have band practice tonight, and I'll take the Hamer with me to see how it performs and really get a feel for it before I make a final decision.

14. Redbell

Redbell Member

Buy the acoustic, send ME the Hamer - glad I could help!

15. MOJO

MOJO Member

i would kill for a reissued strat bodied "shredder" Hamer model but i don't see that happening
    in the near future

16. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I'd lose the "other" brand and keep the Hamer. Good is good, and if the other one is a Gibson you'll always find someone who will buy it based on the name.

As for the "soft" resale on Hamer, speaking as someone who has been actively looking for them I've noticed a definite upward trend lately. If you look around you'll see lots of mentions of Hamer on the BBS and prices are rising.