Just bought a new Carr Rambler

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dana, May 18, 2006.

1. Dana

Dana Guest

My Carr Rambler was delivered yesterday. It has the new Weber R1 speaker.

So far I'm extremely impressed. It's everything I was looking for and more. Wasn't able to really crank it at home, and I'm currently waiting on a Tuki cover to arrive before I start taking it to gigs.

Can't wait to crank her up and see how it shines.

2. Ken

Ken Member

Dana...Congraulations on the Rambler...

I really want to hear one with the new speaker!

What type of music will you be playing on gigs with the Rambler? And are you using overdrive pedals and if so which ones?

Keep us updated..

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Great amp (because I have one)! I use it for all my gigs now (instead of my Two Rock!!!). I really like the Xotic RC Booster and BB Preamp pedals with it. It also works very well with my Fulldrive and Rust Driver -- essentially I'm saying it takes pedals really well.

4. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I have had one for about a year now. It does like pedals, I love the clean tone. One of the few amps that plays well with S/C and H/B's.

I don't think I could ever part with it. Anyone that has never heard one is blown away. A good strat neck P/U is true heaven tone.

I do not think you can do better than a Rambler. I have yet to hear a better clean tone in small Combo. I have tried many NOS and some new tubes, like pedals, you can really hear the difference in the valves.

5. Dana

Dana Guest

Thanks Ken.

I never heard the old Kingpin, but I've used Weber speakers in the past and have been very happy with them.

I play a mix of Jazz, Rock, and Funk mostly in small restaurants and clubs. I wanted an amp small enough that I could crank up and get it to break up without destroying people's ears. I loved my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue for this, but was looking for something just a little better.

I'm still trying to decide whether I should sell the DRRI, or keep it for nasty gigs in dirty dives where I wouldn't want to bring the Rambler.

I have a Klon on order. Lately I've been going pedal crazy. I now own: an
    MI Audio Crunchbox, Blues Boy, Blues Boy Deluxe, and Blues Pro, a Lovepedal Eternity, and a BJF Honey Bee. :jo

I can't wait to hear the Klon with it.

For guitars I'm using a Cunetto Relic Telecaster, and a Suhr Classic Strat with V50's.

I'm a lucky man!

6. A440

A440 Member

congrats on your new amp. still digging mine, but would like to try the new Weber speaker. before they came out with this, I was going to give the Cannabis Rex a try (per recomm from Carr) or pop in a Reverend All-Tone I have in another amp right now.

my greenie came with a padded LeCover which does the trick nicely

I have quite a bit of clean headroom with mine and loves most pedals. gets very loud before breakup sets in. the pentode/triode switch helps if looking for earlier breakup at manageable levels

7. photoguy

photoguy Member

My Rambler came equipped with the Cannabis Rex speaker courtesy of the previous owner. Sound very good to my old ears. I have a variety of pedals that go very well with it, but I seem to keep coming back to the natural sound of the amp as all I'm looking for.

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

My Carr came with a Weber Blue Dog and it sounds awesome to my ears.

1 minor quibble.........Why is the chassis attached to the back cover? Makes Tube changes a real PITA IMO. I also have a slippery reverb jack that slides out every once and a while. I've become an expert at just feeling for the hole.............

9. A440

A440 Member

Old school, I've changed out the pre and power amp tubes with no problems.

from what I recall, I didn't have to take the back cover off. it's Friday, so maybe I'm just brain dead :)

I'm wondering how much of a chore it will be to change speakers out.
    can anyone chime in ?

10. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Great amp! Best cleans I have ever heard from one the new boutique amp makers. A former band mate of mine has one.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yeah........it can be done , but like I said its a PITA is all. If you try to just take the back off to service the reverb (like I said my jacks are slippery) or anything the entire chassis is bolted to the back cover instead of the Top of the Cab. I've never seen it done before and I really can't see the benfits........only the drawbacks.

12. A440

A440 Member

okay, I understand re the back panel

FWIW, I called Carr and they were nice enough to answer any questions I had, and help me troubleshoot a problem I was having (turned out to be microphonic power tube for me)

for the record, I bought this used and they knew that.

all I can say is great customer service !

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Cool.........I bet they are cool and they make a great product. I would like to know why they attached it that way though. Maybe I'll shoot them an email.[​IMG]