Just bought a Rexx 1602 - question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BruceM001, Feb 24, 2009.

1. BruceM001

BruceM001 Member

Hi all - this is my first post this forum. I see that there have been posts on this unit before, but I couldn't find the specific answer I was looking for. This maybe a completely newbie kind of question, but it is what it is....

I bought this for recording. I have a number of other amps, but I had read good things about this unit, and it can save me a little space in my studio. However, now that I've got it home, I see that there's not specifically a line out. There's a section called 'Input Patch' which has an In and an Out. I assume I can plug this into an insert point on a mixer. Can I also just use the Out plug as a line out? I want to go into an E-Mu 0404 USB audio interface to my PC.

Thanks!

2. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I owned one years ago. Great SS amp. Play it through a good cab and it's excellent.

IIRC, isn't there an effects send or preamp out? Use that for a line out, but it's not eq'd as a direct-to-mixer send.

3. BruceM001

BruceM001 Member

Thanks, I probably should have thought of that. It does have an effects loop, so I'll give it a shot. Do you know if the Input Patch section is for what I thought it was, going into a mixer track? The guy I bought it from didn't know.

4. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Rexx also had some single channel preamps. That input is for use with those units, to convert the 1602 into a 3 channel amp.

Back in 91 or so when this amp came out, eq'd direct to the board outputs weren't that common. This amp doesn't have one.

I'm sure you can buy eq plugins or something that eq's this nicely for your needs. Eg: the H&K red box.

5. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

BTW, the Rexx amps were designed by George Krampera, who years ago went to Yorkville sound in Toronto. I'm not sure if he's still with that company.

Rik Emmett was an endorser.

Initially they came out with a 3 channel preamp. Then they came out with the 1602 and 601 (1ch preamp), a 45w combo and a 1-12" cab.

I think that's when the company ended.

6. BruceM001

BruceM001 Member

Thanks for the info.

I may be in a bind as far as using it for what I bought it for. I actually use a few other SS amps from the 70s and 80s, which I mic when I record. I didn't really need another (since to get any real use out of it it looks like I may have to pick up a cab and mic this one too) but from what I've read this amp sounds great. Oh well, it was cheap. I'd probably end up mic'ing this since I'm kind of doubtful about lined-in tone anyhow.

Another newbie question, which I suspect I know the answer to or I would have tried it already - it's probalby not a good idea to take a signal from the speaker out, right?

Thanks again for your responses.

7. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

The speaker out would be too powerful an output to go to a mixer.

Use the preamp out in that case.

8. BruceM001

BruceM001 Member

I just did a little searching, and I think I can get a level attenuator or something to convert down the speaker signal, about $30 or so. If that's all I need, then I'm happy!

9. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

George Krampera was the technical person behind Rexx Acoustics, formerly with Yorkville and currently with KV2 Audio (he is the "K"). George is credited with some of Yorkville's PA gear like the Elite line. I believe he left when Yorkville was not interested in his idea for a high-end solid-state guitar amp. When he found financial backing he started Rexx Acoustics. The 1602 is a great two channel amp in a single rack space. As mentioned the 601 or another 602 preamp could be patched into the 1602 to add channels. That is exactly what those jacks are designed for. I had the 1602/601 setup and it worked very well. I also had the three channel preamp, the 610S, which is probably the rarest piece of REXX gear.

They also made a 1x12 speaker cabinet that had a "4x12" voicing switch. There were some Rexx MIDI footswitch controllers that were quite rugged and rare as well. My last piece of Rexx gear that I have is the RG45 combo. I picked it up cheap and still plug into it from time to time.

10. Dave L

Dave L Member

Keep in mind that you need a load box and/or speaker connected, and that a signal without frequency compensation ("speaker emulation") won´t sound that great straight to the board. I would suggest going with something like a Koch Loadbox for a great all-in-one solution.

11. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Ive got the Rexx 2ch preamp too.. great sounding preamp

12. ampdoc

ampdoc Member

I'm not familiar with their products. But back in the early 90's I was doing amp reviews for Guitar Player magazine, and they sent me a Rexx (don't recall the model).

I was really disappointed. It looked nice, but sounded like a miserable copy of a cheap Peavey. I had a few players that were working in the music store where I had my repair shop, and they all agreed.

I called my guy at GP and told him I had a one word review.

NO