Just bought a Savage, what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by agentcooper2001, Dec 13, 2005.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

Well, this is another amp I've bought that I've never heard. It's always fun this way! I bought a Savage Rohr 15 2x10 combo, but I'm having it shipped directly to Savage and having them put the chassis in a 2x12 combo for me. I must mention that Savage has some of the best customer service I've had yet from a builder. Casey was very helpful and nice on the phone.

What speakers would you recommend for this amp? A blue & G12 is what I was thinking, but there may be a better configuration. How does this amp compare to a Bad Cat Black Cat 30r or Matchless C-30 amp? Those are my previous two amps and kind of what I'm used to playing. Other than being 15 watts, is this amp similar to those? Help my curiosity!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I played one at a Tonefest a while back, a 1x12 with a Blue. It was a bright sounding amp with a nice Voxy-Marshally growl to it, as I recall.

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

do you think it will be too bright with a Tele? I may can get Casey to change a cap or something to darken it up a little bit. I found the Bad Cat Black Cat to be just about right and felt the C-30 Matchless was a bit too bright for me.

4. oxtone

oxtone Member

agentcooper2001,

Savage has been fixing my amps for years, and they are the best shop in the area. Jeff Krumm, the owner, is very knowledgeable about what speakers might sound best. Give him a call - Jeff's a real nice guy.

Savage amps are built like tanks! One night one of their techs gave me a lesson on how they build their amps, and it was an eye opener. They use only the finest parts and electronic components.

5. riffmeister

Not sure.......it was a while ago.

6. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i just hope it's not too bright. Maybe I should have them put Tone Tubbys in it. Those are kind of dark speakers, aren't they?

7. riffmeister

I've heard very good things about the new Heritage Celestion speakers.....a bit rounder top end than the others. Not sure about the new TT's, but I tried a couple of the earlier Hempcone Alnicos and did not like them at all.

8. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I played these amps extensively. My impression was the Glas and Rohr were both very british and more marshall than vox, maybe with a mix of tweed bassman. The Rohr can be quite bright but thats because the circuit is a bright circuit. My favorite was the Blitz you have to get the non reverb one and the one with the class a setting. You can run these on kt66's and it sounds superb. Also can be setup for 6l6's for more fender. But the overal tone I thought was thick and creamy not in a true marshall el34 tone in fact it was like the anti el34 tone. The class a setting rivaled a DC30 I was playing at the time it actually motivated me to sell the DC30. I found I could get the DC30 tone but without the brightness and it was cleaner and more vintage sounding. Then popping it back into the other channel you had the creamy gain sound and if you use a pedal you can get that thing to scream total 80's rock ala acdc, blackcrowes,not the cheesey poison ****. goodluck

9. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

with all this bright talk, it's making me nervous. I don't want a ice pick in the ear sound, as my only guitar is a Am. Deluxe Tele, which I guess is fairly bright. I guess I'll ask them about speakers or see if they may be able to voice it a bit darker. I don't know how difficult that would be to do. The Blitz is just way more power than I need, plus I really like EL84's.

10. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

the blitz is only 30 watts in the class a setting. I too play telecasters so I know what you mean brightness is always a concern.

11. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The Blitz is one of the finest amps I have ever played, I knew from the first note that there was something special with it that most other amps don't have. Given Savage's reputation, I'm sure the Glas and Rohr are killer amps :AOK

12. ddeand

ddeand Silver Supporting Member

Definitely give Jeff a call - he'll really try to get you the exact sound you need. I live about 5 minutes from his shop, so I get over there every few weeks to BS and drool and buy stuff. My present amp is the Macht 6, and I got it with a Mojotone British speaker. I use a Tele with Rio Grande pickups, and the amp was just to jangly for me - too much chime! Jeff and I talked it over, and he let me take a couple speakers home to try out. I eventually ended up with an old JBL D120f that sounds fabulous to me. It takes the edge off the Tele brightness and gives a great full-bodied sound.

I guess the key is deciding what you want to hear and also knowing a bit about speaker characteristics. Jeff knows that stuff and will really work to get you hearing what you want. I really enjoy my visits to their shop.

Have fun with your new amp!

Dean

13. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I've owned 2 Rohrs and didn't find them overly bright at all. I think it's actually a very rich sounding amp. I really, really like Savage amps. Jeff is an outstanding guy who really knows how to treat his customers. They'll most certainly take care of you.

14. Ras

Ras Guest

I agree the blitz is the finest amp made today. I got to play one I just couldnt afford it. Jeff the head savage guy was great he helped locate one for a recording I was working on. It wasn't what you would think soundwise. It was the most dynamic, chimey, punch, versatile amp I had ever heard. Its on my short list I just can't pull together the cash right now. There was two settings on the amp and the A setting was unbelievable. This amp did hendrix, beatles, tom petty to a T. Jeff worked his ass of and even retubed it for free his a fantastic guy. I am kind of glad the savage stuff is low on the radar it will be more original than having the same thing as everyone else. Plus you'll sound better :JAM

15. moderndrummer

moderndrummer Member

Your gonna love the Blitz 50 my friend. Freaking Ridiculously awesome amp. 1 complaint however; they are expensive $3000 and up.:eek: give us a tone report when you push that puppy through its paces!

16. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I loved my Blitz. Took a beating on it when I sold it. If you want a Blitz, you can eassily pick one up used for under 2k, which is quite a deal if you ask me...or anyone who has played one :)

The only reason I sold mine was because I had an opportunity to pick up another Wizard...which is a bit more flexible for me, but tonewise on par with the Blitz.

Few amps are built as well or sound as good. That classs a/ab switch gives the amp 2 personalities.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the other Savage amps based on my experience with the Blitz.

17. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

I love my Blitz 50 2X12, killer amp with tons of useable tones. I would liken it to a more versatile Germino Rockgrinder, same base tone but way more flexible and alot more gain on tap. It can do a Tweed Deluxe type of snarling overdrive, the classic Plexi crunch, and also does amazing high gain, JCM800 type of rock tones. The reverb is awesome and they sound great at low volume. They are quite expensive but I feel they are worth every penny once you play it for awhile. I likey alot!

Scott

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

You bought an amp that you have no idea what it sounds like?

You now are listening to all kinds of opinions about the amp from people you don't know?

You have no idea which style of guitar these guys play or how they dial in their amps?

You're now thinking of changing things about this amp before you even play it, dial it in , and make your own opinion of what you like or dislike about this amp?

What am I missing? This makes no sense at all

:confused: :confused:

ERIC

19. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

Eric,

Thats the way it goes when you live in a small town, many miles away from any store that might have any of these amps. You buy them without hearing them first and do your best to read up on them to get an idea of what they sound like.

20. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I also live fairly close to the Savage shop, and know Jeff well. I've been taking my amps to him for many years. Everyone there is great, and they really know their stuff. Jeff will be more than willing to make sure that you are happy with your purchase. They are very generous there, and will go the extra mile for the customer.

With that said, I don't think Savage amps are overly bright. To me, they are just right!

Hamilton