Just bought a Vetta!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lution, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Lution

Lution Member

Saw a good deal on a Vetta I combo updated to a Vetta II (not certain which version) so I went for it. I think it will show up Friday. It's coming with the FBV shortboard and the M-Audio Uno.

I was fighting between trying out a Flextone III or a Vetta so I decided that I might as well see what the Vetta is all about.

So, any advice I might need before I dive in?

I've owned a Flextone II so I'm not new to the Line 6 world and deep editing, but this vetta is a monster.

2. Devnor

Devnor Member

Congrats! I've had my Vetta about 4 weeks and I absolutely love it. I use mine for home practice only but it can get very, very loud. My tube amps are still king but I've been pleasantly surprised at all the things this little amp can do.

[​IMG]

3. Lution

Lution Member

4. Miles

Miles Member

Cool!! I have also sold my last tube amp for a Vetta II combo, and I love it. I now use either the Flextone III or the Vetta for shows.

for me, the FBV Shortboard is plenty and less to accidentally step on, but the sounds are killer.

On the vetta, I have programmed sounds panned as mono for each amp (amp/cab setup/page 2), basically, you still have stereo fx, but your amps are both coming out of both speakers as 1 blended tone rather than one in each speaker. This way, no matter which speaker a sound guy chooses, you have awesome tone and it sounds more united rather than goofy stuff you can come up with. GREAT setup!

I now use it with my Fender Jazzmaster and telecaster and I'm in bliss.

I'm done with tubes.

5. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Congrats! I've had my Vetta I combo for 5 years now. Upgraded to version 2.5 when it came out and have been very happy! The biggest improvement for me were the wha wha models. There was only one option prior which was worthless, IMO.

Be careful, the thing can be a black hole! So many options, with some sounding very, very nice. I hope you like to tweak!:D

6. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Those are great amps. When you find the right tweaks, they sound fantastic.

I sold mine after realizing I couldn't spend the time with it. Went back to tube amps simply for the ease.

To the listener, this amp sounds as good as many tube amps in a higher price range. For the player, though, there is some lag which takes away some of the fun of playing. I love responsive amps, and that's the only X-mark against the Vetta, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and do take advantage of the TWO AMPS AT ONCE function.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Pretty much agree with Ud Reks. I enjoyed the Vetta quite a bit and found it capable of some fantastic sounds. It was a lot of fun programming and putzing around with...but I really couldn't use it live. Not that it wasn't loud enough or couldn't cut through. But I found that there was just way too much "tweaking for the room"; I'd be spending the first set or two tweaking in between songs trying to get things right. Spent way too much time thinking about my tone when I should have been concentrating on my performance.

I also agree that the feel/response factor is just not 100% there. It's a little off. If you're accustomed to the response from tube amps, it may take some getting used to and you may be a little (but probably not a lot) disappointed.

8. TYY

TYY Member

9. Lution

Lution Member

well.... this went almost exactly as Leonc and a couple others predicted.

I'm very glad I got the chance to play with the Vetta for the entire weekend and all day today. Fortunately, I did buy it used from GC which gave me the 30 day deal. I don't need more time. I was a little disappointed (not a lot) with it's performance. It did high gain and metal sounds very very well and its clean sounds were also very good, but I couldn't for the life of me, find a responsive crunch sound.

I can see how many would latch on and dig in to everything the Vetta possesses, which is vast amounts of tones, routing, and new sounds, but even the heavy tweaker in my wasn't up to the challenge at this time in my life.... so it's going back to GC and my Ecstasy will get some more time. I did spend quite a large amount of time trying to mimic the blue and red channel of my XTC on the Vetta. The Vetta couldn't come close, but it is still a very nice amp.

10. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

The learning curve is steep. Those crunchy sounds are definitely in there. It would take a while to really find it. I still have the old Marshall and Vox patches that a Vetta master sent me. They were very good, and he knew what he was doing. Any of the preset Marshall and Vox patches were underwhelming. You had to build them from scratch. There are also some great features in there that you have to try, or otherwise it's almost like not having tried a Vetta at all. 2 AMPS AT ONCE is one such feature.

11. Lution

Lution Member

I'm sure you're right about the Vetta. Like my post said, I thought I was up to the challenge, but at this time in my life, I want to concentrate on other things with music, like making it. My Ecstasy allows me that... and it ain't no slouch in the learning curve dept.

12. Miles

Miles Member

Also, you may very well end up finding your "marshall crunch" or "vox crunch" in amp models that have nothing to do with marshall/vox. For example, I found a lot of great medium gain sweet tones using the Bogner XTC model with low gain (1/4 the way up), no cab, bass at noon, treble at 3:00, presence at noon, mid all the way up, and amp volume maxed. I found so many great tones using this, I have sold my tube amps for a Flextone III and a Vetta II, both are well worth it. For me, the response is there by and large. The only amps, to me, that have feel more organic than the vetta are class A designs. As for marshalls, boogies, fenders, etc... the vetta II can do it all.

13. Miles

Miles Member

For me, I make music with drum machines, acoustic guitars, and piano. From there, I bring the good songs to the band, and I can expand on any sound I want for an intro or certain part. To get really quirky, I find the synth models barely mixed in, or the octave fuzz really handy. So, the vetta isn't just amplified electric guitar. It allows you to become more eclectic and experimental. Once I got my writing work ethic boosted, the Vetta II and my Flextone III have become very valuable tools, and highly more useful and valuable to me than tube amps which are sonically very limited per amp.

14. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I find the learning curve pretty steep with Line 6 stuff anyway. I've also learned that the pain and agony of learning it is worth the trouble.

15. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, when you spend the time, the rewards are huge. I owned a vetta three years ago and hated it, because I didn't take the time. You really need to delve into it and you can find just about anything, and the fidelity, response, and punch are all there for me. I'm really pleased with the digital "junk".

:)

16. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

No lie. I recently bought a used Flextone II XL, which is the 100-watt 2 X 12 combo version of that range of Line 6 amps. I had to really spend time with the manual, carefully learning how to dial in the amp, more so than with any other amp I've ever owned.

But now that I've gotten it tuned to my ears, it sounds quite good! It gets maybe 80% of the tone of whatever amp it's modeling, not bad IMHO. On mine, I just use the Black Panel model(1965 BFDR), all f/x off(except reverb), and cabinet modeling turned off. I have the 4 channels programmed with the same patch described above, but with different levels of gain, channel A being the cleanest. Again, it sounds really cool. You do get the feeling of playing through a '65 Deluxe Reverb, not totally, but close enough.

But I can easily see why people love or hate Line 6 amps. You've got read the manual, and spend time turning knobs. Otherwise, you'll end up dialing up really wonky, murky tones.

17. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

:jo