Just bought an Echoplex Digital Pro Plus for $599 through MF

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by James Knox, Mar 24, 2008.

1. James Knox

James Knox Member

Guess I won't be needing the Rang III I have been waiting for anymore...

Anybody else pick one of these up? Seems like a killer deal. Even if they are soon discontinued, it is a lot of looping power for $600.

2. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

They are awesome, but the memory architecture is horribly dated. You only get 16MB (3 minutes), and there are no usable options for saving/restoring loops (there is a very slow MIDI dump).

3 minutes sounds like a lot, but when you split it up among multiple loops, it isn't so much, and you need extra memory for the undo capability.

I was hoping to replace mine with the Timefactor looper, but that still has a software glitch.

3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yes.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=359171

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I read a long time ago that you can do seamless loops with these..like when the loop "comes around" again there won't be any blip or break in the sound. Basically I want to do some ambient loops where I don't have to fade in but can have a constant sound going in the back ground and this is impossible with every looper I've had so far. Is this a feature of the echoplex?

5. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

You can do that with a Boomerang but you have to learn how to hit the button at the right moment to make it sound "seamless".. It just takes practice.

Jeff

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yes...

7. James Knox

James Knox Member

OK - I received it, hooked it up and and am currently surfing the learning curve!

THis thing sounds amazing - does not screw with your tone at all. I love the feel of the soft switches. Bye bye RC2!

I will still am curious about the Rang3 - but with this purchase I might be done with looper gas...

8. drolling

drolling Member

Hey James - Just chimed in on your other thread.. Too bad Splatt was finally driven off by the HC hordes - Guy's great musician & a phenomenal resource for all things loop related. You might find some helpful info at his site/forum.

How's it going w/the EDP?? It is *outdated* by today's (and yesterday's) standards, but I'd love to get my hands on one someday! And a TC 2290 as well.. Only offers 8 seconds of loop time, but what a glorious 8 seconds they are. I still don't see how I'll ever use the entire 16 1/2 minutes provided by the new BOSS loop stations!!

Compared to my first looper/sampler, the ancient DigiTech PDS-8000, the Gibson~Oberheim's still state-of-the-art! The PDS8000 doesn't even allow you to establish a "stop-start" point, so you more or less have to let the pedal play you! And like just about every other looper out there, it's got it's own little quirks & tricks that just can't be found anywhere else - It's on my (big) board to this day:RoCkIn

9. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

+1 I got an AEDP not too long ago and have had a boomerang + for a while before that. The EDP is definitely more powerful and IMO a bit more transparent & better sound quality. But it does have its limitations as you said.

The boomerang is more plug & play, and does what it does great.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

The EDP is still the reigning badass looper, as far as I'm concerned

11. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I got mine but it didn't come with a chord for the pedal. What chord do you need with this? The packing job by Gibson for this effect was terrible.

Thanks,
    Jeff

12. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

A standard guitar cord is all that is needed.

Best looping device I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. I love mine.

David

13. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Thanks for the info David..

Jeff

14. Mincer

Mincer Member

absolutely...you can also redefine the 'start' point on the fly as well, which works well for ambient loops. want just a section of it to play backwards or an octave down? oh yeah, can do that too.