Just Bought an R8

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auburn-grad, Feb 16, 2006.

1. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I just purchased my first Les Paul R8 (an '05 Tobacco Burst)....WOW...the tone is awesome (I was really surprised by the stock Burstbuckers)....and the fat neck is really comfortable.....previously, I had an LP Classic, which for the money, isnt too bad.....however, the R8 really smokes.....out of the box, the setup was pretty close to what I like so I didnt have to tweak much...

My only complaints (and this is minimal)...is that the workmanship isnt top-notch (its good, but not perfect) for the money that you have to pay.....I bought a used Hamer Custom Studio not too long ago and I am continually impressed with the quality that is built into that guitar...

However, this LP has the tone that I love.......

I just found my new number 1........

[​IMG]

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Beauty! I picked up a R8 cherry burst last month and am loving it also. Funny but I'm not as sure about the pickups and I am usually a HUGE Gibby pickup fan. I love low output winds and thought these were perfect at first. We'll see though--I have a "rule" where I don't let myself change pickups on a new fiddle at least for one year so heck they might grow on me. Right now for some reason they seem a bit "nasally" to me--didn't notice it initially but the last few times I cranked it up through the plexi that's what I thought.

Regardless, great weight, great player, great vibe, phenomenal price. I guess I got lucky because mine is every bit as perfect (after setting it up) as you could want a Les Paul to be. But I did try out 2 or 3 before picking this one.

3. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I agree with your pickup comments....I had a pair of WCRs in my last LP and I have a pair of WCRs in my Hamer....eventually, I might put them in the R8, but I am happy enough with the sound right now that I wont be buying the WCRs anytime soon......

I am sure that you can beat he Burstbuckers with a nice pair of aftermarkets, but they are good enough so that I dont need to replace them right away..... they sure beat the stock pups in the Classic....I wasnt a big fan of the 496 and the 500....

4. hear and play

hear and play Member

Are you sure it's a tobacco burst? Looks like a tri-burst... There's red in there, correct?

A rose by any other name...

5. -kk-

-kk- Member

did it come with a case of pepsi? :D

nice score man.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Nope. Heritage Darkburst, my favorite. Have two R9 flametops in the same. Beautiful guitar a.g.! BTW, I also like the BBs, and find that string choice can even make a big difference in tone with them. I love Gibbo Vintage Reissues (10s). Their high nickel content yields a warm, round tone, and I'm sure most like them (DR Pure Blues, etc.) would do the same. Play around a bit with pup/pole heights as well. Enjoy that beauty! AC

7. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I prefer a plain burst to a flame. I like it.

8. hear and play

hear and play Member

+1

Until recently, I was the proud owner of the only tri-burst plaintop CS '68 I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

I kinda kick myself for selling her.

9. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Congrats on a great guitar! And yes...it is faded tobacco burst. The lighting in the pic makes it look to have more red than it really does. Gibson only made the R8 in 05' in Faded Tobacco, Faded cherry, and iced tea. I have one exactly like it in faded tobacco and love it. Mine needed a new nut and some set-up work....but it flat out smokes! I'm not sold on the pickups....I'm trying to decide what to put in mine right now. Here's my 05' Faded Tobacco R8:
    [​IMG]

10. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

...if you want my suggestion for replacement pups.....try the WCR Crossroads/Darkburst combo......thats what I had in my LP Classic and they were awesome.....

11. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Some purrty guitars there. I've always loved the look of the R8's.