Just bought EZDrummer2...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MountainCraft, Apr 15, 2019 at 3:04 PM.

1. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Downloading the software now (will take almost 5 hours)..

Excited.. Might actually be able to finally do something with some of my riffs and song ideas..

Will probably need a sample/MIDI pack or two fairly soon too...

Wish I could have afforded the superior drummer package, but this is on sale.. sooooo....

Maybe this summer, I can fit it in... Too many things to buy, too little money..

Anyway... thoughts/tips? Suggestions for forums geared to this sort of stuff?

I'm also putting together a hodge podge electronic drumset, and am looking for noob friendly advice, etc. for that.. Ideally a forum somewhere that can help a guitar player wade through all the 'drum' stuff relating to both software, hardware (with emphasis on DIY)...

2. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

youtube

You can probably upgrade very cheaply when they do their biggest sale. The upgrade drops in price at least by a third, may be even cut in half.

3. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Good to know.. That would make it much more affordable.. Is there a certain time of year they typically do this?

I imagine the bulk of their sales is the sample/MIDI packs, so they want to get the software into our hands as affordably as possible..

4. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Someone recently posted about this site for buying MIDI packs and EZXs and I can attest to how awesome it is.

https://www.bestservice.com

They're out of Germany and the website kinda sucks. But its the cheapest place for Toontrack stuff. I recently bought the EZD2 -> SD3 crossgrade from them for $236. The rest of their stuff is at a great price.

MountainCraft likes this.
  5. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

I want to say they coincide with Black Friday and maybe as early as October but they are having 20th anniversary sales now. Something different every weekend I believe. They have a large focus on metal stuff and I don't do that sort of music so don't get to take advantage.

I have several SD3 SDX add ons and typically have paid between $75 and $90 I think for titles that are maybe $150 (?) normally.

I believe bought the upgrade for $200 from EZ2, worth it and then some in my book.

Personally my opinion would be, before I spent on bells and whistles for the EZ line I'd put that money towards SD3 and save for whatever SDX that fit me the best.

6. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

groove monkey Midi packs work in ez drummer 2 with zero issues and they are cheap and awesome.

soundchaser59, BenoA, DCross and 2 others like this.
  7. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

5 minutes shy of 5 hours, and the demo file is finally downloaded... lol

Now to install/register it... :aok

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I did all of this on EZ Drummer:

Get some midi packs and learn how to customize your beats. If you do that, you'll be able to get what you want out of it.

9. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Just installed the plug in, launched MixBus, created a MIDI track, launched the plug in, the plugin launched, and asked for my e-mail and account password..

Didn't ask for authorization code, manual says it should have upon the first time it was launched..
    Looked through every menu I can find, and there's nowhere to enter it..
    Why make this hard.. It's the thing you would think they'd make the easiest to do.. buy their program and serialize it.. lol
    :dunno

Any idea of how I do this?
    Thanks,
    Mark

10. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Please don't tell me that the Demo install is separate from the registered product..

I found out how to register the product online, it made me install a program for downloading, registering, and updating their products.. I installed it, logged on via it, and entered my serial number.. now it's asking me to download the product...

This pisses me off.. Took five hours to download the Demo, now I gotta do it again???

Why do these companies torture their paying customers????
    :FM:FM:FM

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:07 PM
  11. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

So here I am, downloading the 'real' program....

It's 1 gig bigger, so this time it will take 7 hours... So, sometime after midnight, I can install it...
    Why put me through this? Why make me go through the 6 hour process of downloading and installing the demo first? Hopefully, the real deal will do any uninstalling I need to do, as opposed to making me figure that all out the hard way too...

Grrr...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 8:26 PM
  12. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

I'll check it out after I finish downloading the plug in (again).. Don't want to slow down the download right now..... :aok

shredtrash likes this.
  13. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

Just curious.. How big are these sample packs?

I want to know what I'm in for before buying and downloading any more of this stuff.. Might try and find out how to purchase a DVD installer version instead..

In one of the YouTube videos, the guy demoing the Superior Drummer software said there was 220 gigs of stuff installed as part of the package... At the bandwidth I have, that would be well over 20 days to download..

Unless the compression makes the file size 'much' smaller, that's completely unacceptable... I'd have to find another way if the actual download is anywhere near that size.....

If that's not possible, I'll have to travel to some place where I can have access to faster download speed...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:27 PM
    shredtrash likes this.
  14. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I think the Toontrack site tells you the file size for each one.

15. Timboguitar

Timboguitar Member

My three favorite drum programs, each for different reasons: Strike (from Pro Tools originally), DrumCore 4, and EZ Drummer. Of course, NOTHING beats an excellent drummer, but those are my favorite facsimiles. Can't go wrong with EZ Drummer!!

16. DS007

DS007 Member

The kits that come with the program are pretty damn good IMO and can be changed up. I am working on a project and don't see a need for adding anything, but I just happen to enjoy how they set up the standard sounds

17. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

That's what I like to hear..

You're talking about EZDrummer, and not Superior Drummer, right?

18. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

They sell the sounds on an SSD drive for the superior drummer upgrade.. but it's an extra $200..

If I decide I need more than what comes with EZDrummer, I think I'll wait to get the upgrade, as it appears to come with a boatload of sounds...

I'll just have to plan on going somewhere else to download them... The SSD drive is a nice solution, but $200 is way too expensive for that...

That being said, the MIDI packs are much cheaper, I'm sure much smaller files, and probably very useful with the sounds included with EZDrummer...

shredtrash likes this.
  19. DS007

DS007 Member

Yep, just the EZ Drummer 2 standard set up. And this is coming from someone who used actual recorded audio loops forever ....I searched quite a while for realistic drum solutions - and I'm loving EZ Drummer2. Also, there are great tutorials on you tube, for quick tips.

20. MountainCraft

MountainCraft Member

I probably won't be so picky about the sounds chosen in this software.. More concerned that they're realistic, and easy to get the right groove for what I'm doing..

What style of music are you doing? I like 80's metal (most of my own style is influenced by classic rock and big hair 80s bands), 70's rock, and electric blues... If the included kits can handle that (especially if all that's required to make them 'big' is EQ/Dynamics/FX in my DAW), then I'm thinking that just buying a couple of MIDI groove packages in the styles I like, might be all I need..

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 10:08 PM