Just bought John Mayer Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sws1, Jan 4, 2006.

1. sws1

sws1 Member

On Monday, I bought the John Mayer strat in Sunburst finish. I liked the specs on it so decided to try it out and take it home.

9.5" radius
    Big Dipper pickups (only on JM strat)
    Vintage trem, pulled down to body with 5 strings
    Somewhat beefy neck, but not SRV size
    Very dark African rosewood board

The action was initially very very high, but I've now got it down to a much more manageable level. I've heard this comment from others as well.

Played it at rehearsal last night through Dr Z MAZ 18 Jnr 2x10. I LOVE it. All the positions sound great. The pups sound very SRV like, but without the darkness of Texas Specials. Flip to neck, turn on OD-808 and it is just an awesome blues tone.

I think I finally found a strat that I can keep and enjoy. Can't wait to gig with it. Sounds just too good.

2. nsriley

nsriley Member

Very cool! I've been wondering about those Strats. Sounds like you found a winner!

-Peace
    -Nate

3. corgiears

corgiears Member

Yeah, I really like the specs on that guitar. I've been tempted myself...... keep us updated on how you like it after you've lived with it for a while!

4. Rufus

Rufus Silver Supporting Member

Nice -- I got one a couple of months ago and really like it. Fits perfectly for me and sounds great.

-JR

5. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I'm a Gibson guy through and through, but I played one of these at the suggestion of a friend at my local shop, and I love it, if I was ever to own a strat, this would be it, I just love the neck the sound everything about it is just great to me, but I'm sure others have different opinions.

6. sws1

sws1 Member

The pups have the exact amount of "overwindedness" that I like, but yet still sound very clear. I've tried strats and pups of many types and these pups are the closest to what I've heard in my head.

7. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I don't know whats with the fender factory setups but they like to set them up high. I tried quite a few JM strats, nice guitars but the actions were crazy. Build quality and tone were really nice. I ended up buying a clapton strat instead as I like the maple neck more, but the JMs are nice.

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Tried one, tried to like it, but the JV Strat I ended up with is a much better guitar for me at less than half the price of the JM. Have fun with the new guitoy though ;).

9. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Any idea's on if Fender will release the Big Dipper Pups by themselves? I like the idea of 'less dark' Texas Specials.

10. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I tried one and really liked everything about it. Except, the fret edges weren't smoothed out and actually stuck out past the edge of the neck.
    Really rough feeling when sliding up and down the neck. Must've just gotten hold of bad one.
    No one else had that experience?
    I would like to try another one if the fret issue isn't a common problem with the model.
    Thanks

11. seanc

seanc Member

cant wait to try one myself

12. sws1

sws1 Member

While I've played guitars with much smoother fret edges, I didn't think that they were particularly bad on my guitar. You can feel them, but they're not sharp.

Sounds like you had a bad one.

13. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

That's what I figured and hoped because I do want to add one to the collection some time.

14. fractal

fractal Member

I tried one of these, and while overall it was nice, it definitely didn't have a "somewhat larger c-shape". In fact, my example had a neck smaller than a standard strat. (I probably felt mostly the "smaller than 1 11/16" neck.)

I really like the neck shape of the EJ strat (actually could be even bigger), but I think I'd like rosewood. Not to hijack completely, but does anyone know of a model that has a true "bigger" c shape with rosewood?

Thanks...

15. Cb

Cb Member

Yeah...go try the hardtail Robert Cray. I just took the neck & pickguard assembly from one, swapped in a Jimmie Vaughan bridge pickup, and mounted them on a sunburst Am Std Strat body.

Nice fat neck with medium jumbo frets, dark rosewood, deeply tinted, trussrod adjustment in the butt-end like Leo intended, and I've also got the 2-point Am Std trem, my favorite Fender trem! It's my new favorite axe.

I put the skinny Am Std neck on the hardtail RC body for my 11 year old nephew to plink around on. He rips through the Brown Eyed Girl lick, all on the big E string!

Cb :dude

16. fractal

fractal Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess if I was going with the "swap" route, I'd just order a neck from Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars...

(I totally agree about the Robert Cray. I really liked the one I tried...)

17. JamesW

JamesW Member

John Mayer seems to be very SRV-oriented. How does this one compare against a SRV strat, taking price into consideration?

18. sws1

sws1 Member

SRV strat has much fatter neck, Nitro finish (vs. Poly), yellowish sticky finish on back of neck (vs satin), Texas Specials (vs. Big Dipper), Pao Ferro fretboard, and upside down trem (vs regular). Wiring is different as well (JM has tone on bridge, while SRV has no tone on bridge Pup).

That being said, the JM sounds pretty similar, but less congested. The JM sounds like what I wanted my SRV to play like.

19. Old Believer

Old Believer Member

In fact, the SRV is polyurethane see http://www.fender.com.

I've had my JM since October. The action was really high when I bought it, but a bit of setup and it's fine. I love the way the pups sound. The neck suits me well, but it is a lot smaller than my R9 Les Paul.

20. sws1

sws1 Member

That must have been a recent change. SRVs used to be poly. I'm almost certain the one that I had was.