Just bought my first synth, an Alesis Micron

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BigDiceBuddha, May 31, 2015.

1. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

After about a week of reading over about 1000 posts on Microkorg vs. Micron vs. Miniak, or threads titled "buying my first syntch, what should I get?", I finally settled on the Alesis Micron. Some demo vids, and having full sized keys ultimately sold me. I found one in excellent condition for the right price and pulled the trigger.

So, as a first time synth owner, anybody have any websites, tips, tricks, etc... they would like to share, specifically in regards to the Micron, so I'm ahead of the curve when it gets here?

This will be used mainly for live application.

Ruiner likes this.
  2. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Bump for the weekday crowd. Anybody guitarists/singers out there incorporate a synth into their set up?

3. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

Best online resource for anything synth related is the Gearslutz electronic music production sub-forum; a real wealth of knowledge on there.

I'm just as into synthesis as I am into guitar. Recently sold my Oberheim OB-8 when I heard the Prophet~6 is coming out (this month!). Loved the Obie, but didn't want to deal with owning a vintage synth anymore- they can be gargantuan money pits. I grabbed an SH-101 last year which is super simple, but a great sounding classic. Also scored a Sub Phatty for $500 which actually compared quite favourably to a friends Model D. Really would love to own an original Minimoog, but reliability issues are stopping me from taking the plunge. When I get the P6 I'll probably sell the Sub Phatty and pony up the difference to get a Sub 37.

I could talk synths all day- so much stuff!

chilln likes this.
  4. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Oh man, that Prophet 6 looks insane. That's the eventual plan if I find that I really enjoy and get into synth. Baby steps, though... that's why I'm starting with the Micron.

Oh, and thanks for the forum tip.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

I used to have a Micron, until it was stolen. Had lots of fun with it, used it live a few times. I now have the Akai Miniak, which is nearly identical to the Micron but, IMO, a little nicer in the housing & overall design execution. But you can get a Micron for really reasonable $$ these days. First piece of advice - get ready to turn that one central knob. A lot! Write down your settings as much as necessary, you can do some on the fly adjusting of things, but a few times I've come up with something I liked and then just couldn't find the sound again when I came back to the synth a few days later. Get a pedal or two for extra tweaking of the synth sounds (reverse reverbs, bit crushers, loopers, warped modulation of whatever kind), if you want to add some more variety. Main thing, as with any instrument, is to just spend a bunch of time playing & learning with it. There are definitely fun sounds & rhythms in the Micron, it's a great introductory synth.

6. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Thanks for the advice, man. Especially the part about writing stuff down. Biggest knock in my research was that it was a pain to program, so keeping notes I'm sure will come in handy. I'm stoked to get it. I can see plugging the headphones in and staying up nights fiddling.

7. aholidayatthesea

aholidayatthesea Member

Solid choice! I love my micron. Inexpensive, small, and a lot of great sounds. What worked for me is going through all the sounds and saving all the ones I'd actually use in my Favorites bank so they were easier to access. I also renamed some with an asterisk at the beginning since they show up in alphabetical order.

8. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

9. 9520575

9520575 Member

Hooray!

I wish there was a synth sub forum. I just bought a little phatty.

chilln likes this.
  10. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

I was kind of surprised that there wasn't a Keyboard/Synth Sub Forum here. Why is that?

chilln likes this.
  11. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

12. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

I'm considering the Little Phatty as well. How's it going for you?

13. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Used to be a yahoo micron/ ion user group that was helpful. Shared patches n stuff. Nice lil synth.

14. 9520575

9520575 Member

It's going really well. LP are getting cheaper by the day, I saw a orange one with the CV output mod, for $700. That's a steal. The bass is huge. I love running this into other effects like delay and phaser. I set it up to my DAW and I'm impressed with the flexibility of the unit. I made a little sustain pedal, which also works as a tap tempo for my DAW. You can assign an extra function to each knob, that can control something internally or externally or both at the same time. I can send the ARP's MIDI clock out to my 104M delay, so they are perfectly sync'd. If I had the cash for the sub37 I'd trade up, for the sequencer. But the LP interface is super easy to use, I don't miss not having a lot of knobs. Its perfectly easy to change a bunch of parameters quickly. Its a beast of a machine.

chilln and CaseyI like this.
  15. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Alright. I was too scared to just jump into the deep end of the pool with the Moog. So I bought the Korg Volca ribbon synth. This will be a fun start I think. And I'll be able to tell if I really have an interest in synthesis. I found a used one for $100.

16. Rumblemeister

Rumblemeister Gold Supporting Member

17. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I own 2 Microns and an Ion. One of the best VA synths ever. It's also cool that patches between the Ion and the Micron can be swapped. I usually build patches on the Ion using the realtime controllers then port to the Micron for live use.

Gearslutz is OK but I think KVR and the VintageSynthExplorer forums are better. KVR deals with a lot of SW based synths as well.

chilln likes this.
  18. 9520575

9520575 Member

Whoa that thing is really cool

19. chilln

chilln Member

Congrats!

Synths through pedals are awesome. I've a Minitaur and Sub37. They are great (and sound HUGE)

http://electro-music.com

CaseyI likes this.
  20. sven karma

sven karma Member

Take care of that one central knob you will be using a lot. Mine broke. Alesis sent me a replacement knob but not - despite a couple of polite requests - the broken little widget that connects it to the inside.