Just bought my first TS-9...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 11, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

...I mean, sure, I use a FDII and have used other TS-inspired pedals, but on impulse, i bid on and won an eBay auction for an unmodded RI TS-9. I have always wanted an Analogman Silver, but have never gotten around to picking one up.

I plan on having it modded PDQ, but i guess i'm just psyched to finally have an actual TS-9. I have grown tired of my oh-so-mid-rangy FDII (the older blue model without the 3 way toggle) and i'm hoping the TS-9 Silver will give me the second stage OD that i'm looking for to compliment my Timmy! I'm also planning on picking up the MI Audio Blues Pro with my next stash of spare cash, so we'll see which i end up keeping and which i sell!

Brian

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you are hoping for :confused:.... but I have an Analogman Silver Modded Tubescreamer as well as a Fulldrive II and while I feel both pedals are excellent.... to my ears, the AM Silver-mod Tubescreamer has more of a midrange heavy tone to it than the FD II does. In fact, I also have an Analogman "Brown mod" TS-9 and I find that my Silver Modded pedal sounds almost identical to it but with just a bit more clarity.

I think a lot of people are under the impression that the "Silver Mod" drastically changes the tone and response of a Tubescreamer...which it does not do. The pedal is still VERY MUCH a TS sounding pedal even after the mod.

3. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

hmmmm...interesting....i may need to re-think my purchase...I was under the impression that the Silver mod removed some of that mid-range and made the TS-9 a little smoother. Mike's description from the site reads as such...

Obviously, there is no better judge than to actually play it, which you have (and i haven't), but the general feel i get from my FDII (especially when compared to my Timmy) is that the FD is a lot heavier in the midrange and thus a bit muddier than the Timmy.

Brian

4. Fireball XL5

Yeah...I also read that on the AM site. That was why I ordered the "Silver Mod" pedal even though I already owned his "Brown Mod" Tubescreamer.

Don't get me wrong....I think the Analogman modded Tubescreamers sound KILLER....but they are still 100% a Tubescreamer in tone and response. Both of my AM pedals are very smooth sounding and have a great musical midrange quality... but they still both exhibit the same Tubescreamer charecteristics.... namely a loss of low end and added mids. The only difference I can detect between them is that the "Silver Mod" adds a subtle amount of clarity to the TS sound.

By comparison, my Fulldrive II retains the low end better and is more open sounding with less compression....especially when run in the "Flat-Mids" and/or "Comp-Cut" modes.

5. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I'm supper happy with my Keeley modded TS-9. Owned it forever and then last year decided to get the mod, and now it's better. Just fuler, with more of a gain in tone rather than a slight loss I used to feel sometimes before.

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I have had a stock TS-9, AM Brown TS-9, and Silver TS-9. To my ears the Silver has less mids than either of the others but definitely still cuts the low end. The Silver also has less gain at 0 and makes a better clean boost. I think "Silver" is a great description of the pedal. Has a chime to it that I have not heard out of a TS before. If you decide not to keep it and have it for a good price let me know, I may buy it.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

TS9 good loud, bogus soft. Ditto for the Fulldrive II in vintage mod. I prefer the Fulldrive w/toggle - it’s multifarious merriment and capable of rendering the TS9 to *Augean Status* {not a good prognosis).
    MJM Blues Devil is something you might want to research, also. The Keeley mod is bonafide and solves a lot of gastric quandaries, as does Analogman but the MJM is swell-er-er. Not as insatiable pukey green beautiful but vanity must take a backseat to tone. I think?

8. Fireball XL5

Dude....you sound like a Billy Gibbons interview! :D

9. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I'm not sure if he's still doing mods, but definitely check out Vaughn's mods before deciding. It's my favorite pedal, by far!.....and I have a Zendrive and have had a Keeley BD2 Phat mod, Hotcake, etc. Mine has the same mods as his personal TS9, shown at the bottom of his page. This pedal with my Fuchs L7 is a match made in heaven for me.

Vaughn's Mods

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

The best thing to do is mod it yourself so you can have control over the changes. The below forum can really help. I recently did a Keeley DS-1 mod and it was a lot of fun with excellent results.

http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/

11. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I have both Analogman and Keeley modded TS-9's and a couple of Analogman modded TS-9DX mods. They all sound great. I just bought a Vox Big Ben Overdrive and I like it alot also .

Regards,

Tom