Just bought orange rockerverb 100!!... pedals??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spindlergallery, Jul 30, 2006.

1. spindlergallery

spindlergallery Supporting Member

hi, picked up a Orange rv100 and love the tone of this thing. Im going to settle into this amp as I think it is a keeper. Ive never been a pedal board kinda guy. My question is what are some " must have" pedals" to add.. I own a keely ts808 and a trex replica pedal. advice on which pedals u think are "essentail" on any pedal board... I play blues to funk to prog rock.. thanks for the advice,,,Tim

2. thebot

thebot Member

Not a recommendation, more of a warning. With an Orange I would recommend trying before buying where possible (or obviously sticking to gear you can re-sell at near enough the same price). Most pedals are voiced for Marshall and/or Fender style amps. I play through a Matamp and find a lot of the things people rave about on here don't sound quite as good through my amp.

Things that do work for me - Blackstone Overdrive, BJF Honey Bee, Sweetsound Mofaux Vibe, Lovepedal Karl Fuzz and Balance, Tonefactor Huckleberry.

3. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Agreed. I play a vox, and most OD's dont sound right through it. Normally there's too much mids, or too sloppy a bottom end, or or or....

One that does work well is the Gaspedals CARB. Very un-compressed, natural sounding OD. It doesn't add noise, so its very clear sounding. Not a clean boost persay, cause it adds nice gain, but not gonna distort your natural tone. If you like the sound of the Rockerverb, and I suspect you do, then this pedal will simply "give you more".

4. granite

granite Member

I have an Orange AD30R. The Crowther Hotcake Bluesberry is a great OD as is the Zvex Super Hard On. The Orange amps are dark sounding so a I got a BJF SBEQ to brighten it up. I highly recommend all three of these pedals. I show my board on my website if you want to see all I use.

For whatever reason, there isn't a lot of discussion about Orange amps on TGP. I found the Orange Amp forum more useful and enlightening for all things Orange. Welcome to the fraternity of Orange.

5. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

maybe an attenuator?

6. granite

granite Member

Yeah...100 watts is over kill in my book unless your playing [SIZE=-1]Wembley Stadium[/SIZE]. My 30 watts roars if I open it up all the way. I think the 100 Watter is EL34 based while the 50 Watt is 6V6. Never heard the 100 Watter.

7. spindlergallery

thanks for the advice,, its is a great amp... when u open this 100 watt up it really slams...u guys think a attenuator would be a good thing.?? If so what do u recommend...the hotplates seem the going thing but they are so expensive any alternatives a that are just as good.. Im lovin the clean channel with a keeley ts808 Im I have ej strat and believe it or not I get a better spanky tone outa my Jem on the 4th notch up...gettin some srvish type tones.. Im lovin this amp right now! I also picked up a yamaha t50c, the one built by soldano back in the day..this is a nice amp too..side by side it hags with the orange.. very similar in tone just a bit harsher little more bite..im running through a 2x12 marshall and there isnt the bottom like the orange but point is if u ever have a chance to pick one up snag it. they are usually aroud 400 bucks !! thas a great amp for the buck anyway appreciate the pedal advice if anyone else has some suggestions .. way cool...ill hit the orange site tooo,,,,cu Tim

8. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

Treb Booster and Fuzz a must. Maybe a Phase or Univibe, and a Wah. You are set. :dude

9. Filter428

Filter428 Member

I'm wondering if a Morning Dew EQ would work with his amp?

10. drolling

drolling Member

The Rockerverb 50 & 100 watt heads have to be a couple of the most 'pedal-unfriendly' designs I've ever used, BUT the clean/dirty tones are among the most glorious I've heard - I wish I had one of each! But if I did, I'd simply throw away all my drive pedals.. These amps make them totally superfluous.

I'd keep a couple fuzzes, tho, and a Rangemaster-ish germanium treble booster, a wah & a 'vibe.. and maybe an opto-comp, like the Diamond.. but that's it..

Congrats on the amp:BEER!!

11. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I run a Les Paul Standard through a RV50 halfstack and have found that fulltone pedals sound great with Rockerverbs. A lot of people rave about the OCDs through them too.

I use the following with great success:

EHX Pulsar
    Boss DD20
    Vox Wah
    Ernie Ball 6166 volume pedal
    Fulldrive II
    Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe
    MXR Phase 90
    Tone Bone Hot British (although I like the amp overdrive much better)

Come visit us over at orangeamps.com/forum

Chris

12. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

The Fulltone OCD responds VERY well to Orange amps, I tried 3 or 4 different OD's and I never use my Orange Rocker 30 without one!

13. spindlergallery

cool! I have a keeley modded Ibanez ts808 that sounds pretty good.... with it, Im running the trex replica delay through the loop and the stepping on the ts through the clean channel.. the trex has a mid coloring thing it does..I like it,,fattens it up a tad..I have a Ibanez jem with a Paf style pup that I set to the 4th positon on the pup selctor for a real spanky bluesy lead.. It sounds really good for that SRV Kenny wayne Shepard kinda spank... not exactly but has is own cool mid rangy thing going on. The only thing missing is a little more gas in the ts808! just a little more sustain/overdrive would making my alternate pick/ faster runs a little easier... wouldnt have to dig in as much!! Has anyone owned the keeley ts808 and the OCD that can compare them. I am reading mostly rave reviews of the OCD..also heard from a few peps that the menatone Kar Krash was sweet... thanks everyone for all the great input...!!!!!

14. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Can't comment on the Keeley but I have a TS9 and I MUCH prefer the OCD to it with the Orange. The OCD sounds great with every orange I've played it with