Just bought the best value in a new Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I just pickued up a new (06 - hangin in the shop for a while) Fender 60's Classic Strat MIM in 3TSB. Wholy moley I tell you this is a nice guitar. Got it in a trade just cause I was stratless for a while and was craving that sound and feel. I have owned a few American Standards, an EC sig., an American Vintage 62, and a Classic Players 60 and I'll tell you this is the best sounding and feeling of the bunch. They all got sold after a while cuase I didn't love em.

Nice weight at 7.7 pounds, super tight neck joint, 2 peice (wow right 2 peice on a MIM but yeah I looked real close and i'm sure) body with excelently matched seems, very fat and rich tones, it's quiet for a single coil guitar, the neck is beefy and that's about it. Outstandingly resonant peive of wood and dead on quality control on this one.

I decided that I prefer vintage appointments on my strats so I decided to bag my American Standards a while ago.

I just can't believe this rather affordable little guy is so spectacular. I just can't see letting this one go. After so many years I can't believe I found a great strat that's so cheep. Its amazing you don't see more of this model out there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats! There are plenty of gems out there.

And of course :worthless

3. Blue4Now

AHHH yes, waiting for daylight to shoot some photos.

4. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

I have and have had several Fender Classics--50s Tele, 60s Tele, 72 Custom Tele, Jimmie Vaughan Strat, Robert Cray Strat. Every one of them has been killer--and cheap! Some I modded, but they all sounded killer and played great bone stock. The higher end stuff Fender is making in Mexico now is excellent.

5. b2sc

b2sc Member

What's a good value? Or, in other words.... How much $$?

6. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Cool, you found a good one!

It seemed that the Classic Player version gets way more attention here than the Classic. Both are made in Mexico and are vintage reissues, right? What are the differences between the two? What's the neck contour/size like on the Classic compared to the other Strats you've owned?

7. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Interesting. I thought that the burst MIM's were multi piece (more than 2) bodies with laminate tops and backs. I am pretty sure that my MIM tele is. In just the right light you can see tiny indentation shadows in the finish.

8. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

I have the same guitar in Shoreline Gold - not my first choice of color, but the deal was to good to pass up and now I love it. My only issue is the 7.25" radius, but I'm actually growing quite fond of it, and I was VERY surprised with the sound of the stock pups. I threw 11's on mine, did a quick and dirty setup and I'm really enjoying it.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Is that the 60's Classis "Players" Strat you are referring to? If so, I agree man, great value period.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

The Player has a 2 post bridge plate, while the Classic has the more upgradeable 6 screw bridge mount, which I prefer. The Player has a flatter bridge radius and modern frets, while the Classic has a 7.25 radius and a vintage style (6230) fret size, altho not a tiny true vintage fret. The player has Gotoh locking vintage look tuners, which are nicer than the Ping on the Classic.

The Jimmie Vaughan has the best of both worlds, plus a larger V shaped neck and Gotoh split post tuners and the same bridge hardware one finds on the AV 57 and AV62. That's the real best Fender Strat value, IMO.

[​IMG]

11. Blue4Now

I bought the 60's Classic with vintage bridge 7.25 radius and vintage frets, whereas the Classic Players 60 had a modern 2 point bridge 12 inch radius and bigger frets. I had a Classic Players 60 and sold it a year ago becuase I could not get along with it. It was just thin and lifeless. This thing is a beast.

[​IMG]

12. Blue4Now

The bodies on the Classic series are solid wood three peices usually. This may be two or three I cant tell for sure after lookinf some more but the seems are amtching superbly. The neck is tinted just right.

[​IMG]

13. Blue4Now

Even thought the finish is polly it looks thin. I can actully see the grain through the finish. Tell me if I'm wrong but what other Fender Strat can be had with vintage features and a solid wood (non veneer body) with a niche chunky neck for 600 bones? OK I got a good deal. But these sell for like 700, full price, I think.

Oh and I normally like a flatter board and bigger frets but this plays liek BUTTER!!!! Just goes to show a good fret job makes all the difference.

14. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

The MIM Classic Series are such great guitars. I just bought a 50s Telecaster that I can't put down. Now I'm really wishing I had bought a 60s Classic Strat instead of my HWY-1. The craftsmanship on these Mexican guitars is really impressive considering how affordable these instruments are.

15. Blue4Now

Just a few more:

Nice character to the board:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  16. Blue4Now

rear shot and a full size trem block:

[​IMG]

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Blue4Now, that's sweet! There's no way you can lose on a guitar that nice for $600.00.

It's not a laminate, either. If it were the tummy cut would be painted black.

Enjoy!

18. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

What a sweet guitar, congrats! :)

19. jaxworlds

jaxworlds Member

Nice guitar, you got a cherry.. the frets are wider and taller than the 62AVRI which is considered the 'standard' of vintage Strats.. I like the 60s models better.. the necks alone go for $300 used!!

20. Blue4Now

Very interseting indeed, I did not know the frets were larger than vintage but it does feel that way. Not surprised about the price of the necks on these, it is very, very nice.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.