Just Bought The Tc Electronic G System

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by robbph37, Jan 15, 2008.

1. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I just picked up a used Gsystem for $900. I called Egnater and they suggested the Gsystem or GForce for my Egnater M4 which does not have an effects loop. Does everyone still like their G system? I saw some bad feedback on Harmony Central but I tend to go with TGP info much more.

2. Laird_Williams

Laird_Williams Member

It works great. A lot of the negative feedback is for older software releases and from folks who did not want to put the effort into setting it up right. Some of the complaints, however, are valid.

There are a couple of known issues with expression/volume pedal latency and some FX spill-over that have affected a few users. The promised editor is late and getting later. Both of these issues are due to be addressed in a firmware update soon.

If you are very sensitive to touch-sensitivity of your amplifier, you may need to sacrifice the use of the first digital section and one loop on the G, as routing the guitar into the G input can result in loss of touch sensitivity. You can plug the guitar in the loop1 return and this usually addresses the issue. If you are not as concerned about touch sensitivity, then the "normal" wiring will work fine.

Properly wiring and setting up gain staging (levels) in the G takes some time and effort. Failure to do so will result in disapointing tone and noise issues.

The M4, as I recall, is a rack preamp with MIDI control. As such, it is an outstanding match for the G's capabilities. I often use my G with a VHT Valvulator GP3 with my unit and it works great.

There is another thread here that covers the G in detail. It is titled simply "g-system". You should browse through it. TC also has an discussion forum. There are lots of folks at both places who can help you out if you have questions or issues (including me)

-Laird

3. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Laird,
    Thanks and I am sure when it arrives I will be seeking out help from those who know how to set it up. I plan to keep it very simple. My Egnater M4 and the G system will be all I need for my Christian Rock group. I have seen some of the setups here on the Page and I really dont want a NASA mission control outfit but I understand why some players have it and thats cool.

4. Laird_Williams

Laird_Williams Member

Are you going straight to the house board with this, or into a power amp/cabinet of some kind?

5. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I use a VHT 2502 power amp into an Avatar cab with 1 vin 30 and a heritage 30. Good sound. I hope the Gsystem does not rob me of any tone. I have spent too much money to lose it now. Egnater was pretty high on the TC stuff and they should know I guess.

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I've been using mine for the last 7 month and still totally dig it.

7. robbph37

robbph37 Member

Ed,
    Glad to hear it man. I was pretty burned out on the amp shopping process when I finally decided on the Egnater M4 so I was hoping the effects choice would be much quicker and simpler. Again I respect some of the floor racks that I have seen on the Page but I dont want something that complicated.

8. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

I've had mine for over a year and a half and still use it all the time. Like Laird said you gotta be prepared to tweak some settings and invest some time learning it and not overdoing it with some of the effects and settings. Its sort of a case of less is more for me. I use the wet effects to taste but i don't drown in them. Great unit though, I love it.

9. Laird_Williams

Laird_Williams Member

You have a fantastic setup.

Given that the power amp and preamp (and perhaps the "Brain" of the G) are in a rack, the likelihood of a ground loop is fairly high. If you hook up and get a lot of hum even after adjusting your levels, think ground loop. A good line isolator like the Morley/ebTech unit is an excellent fix for such issues if they arise. If it is necessary, place one isolator channel between the egnater[out] and the G[insert return], and the other channel between the G[output] and the power amp[in]. Odds are very good that any hum will go away.

As for tone-sucking:

1) A LOT of the G-Sys presets use the on-board compressor in the first DSP block. If you want a first-class way to screw your tone, make heavy use of that compressor (unless a highly compressed sound is a key element of your tone). Otherwise, get used to turning it off.

2) The boost feature on the G is not a boost - it is a "rob Peter to pay Paul" boost. You set the boost headroom and the G attenuates the signal by that amount internally. Then when you "boost" you get the headroom back. This reduces overall S/N ratio in the unit. Unless you really need the boost and do not have a separate boost pedal, kill the boost on the G. Set the boost headroom to zero, turn the boost off, and then turn the boost lock on. Then you can reprogram the boost button on the G to do something useful. <Others will disagree with me about the utility of the on-board boost. Your mileage may vary. But I suspect that, given quality of the other equipment you are using, you will be happier without it if you can avoid it>

3) Some people believe that the first DSP section is not transparent enough. It is transparent enough for me - but it is not perfectly transparent...eg if you bypass all the FX in the first DSP block it does NOT sound the same as your guitar plugged straight into your amp. This may or may not be an issue for you. If it is, those who have had a problem with this have had a lot of luck plugging the guitar into the return on loop1, which effectively completely bypasses the first DSP section. (Of course, if you want the wah/filter/compressor in the first DSP block, this is not a viable option.)

I use my unit with both my VHT in a rack and with a H&K Switchblade combo. I have the levels for both amps written down and have to set them whenever I change amps. Aside from that, I have not had to tweak levels or configuration in months. I just get to play...and that is the whole point with this thing. No tap-dancing, excellent FX, and no worries when playing, in return for some setup complexity when you first get the unit. Not a bad trade in my book - especially at the price you paid. (I bought mine new for about $600 more than you paid and I am still very pleased)

10. Brain2Me2

Brain2Me2 Member

Heard at the TC forum that they are shooting for a Namm release for the new G-System firmware.