Just Bought the Tomo Fujita - "Accelerate" DVD

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by BillyK, Feb 4, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the great posts here re: Tomo's DVD. I played for years, got a couple of degrees in music, made a living in NY as a player/teacher, subsequently put the instrument down for many, many, many years, and am now playing again. It was like magic - one day I just had to play - and it's been a couple of years now. It's great to be re-connected to my instrument.

I wanted a shot in the arm, so I did some research here and Tomo's DVD floated to the top pretty quickly. I'll check it out and report back. I've got high hopes!

2. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Yah, just arrived in the mail as well. Tomorrow's project is get started on it.

3. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

It's awesome - you guys are gonna love it! Tomo is the man - I might watch it and go do a bit of work right now........:)

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

gassyndrome: What is the most significant thing you've learned so far from Tomo?

5. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Ummmm - well I've had it for a while, but I've really only gotten to grips with the first third of it I guess. Just practising those first few exercises really improved my timing and technique, more so than any other video I've ever watched. After watching the first demo, how could you not want to play that clean you know? :)

I just find Tomo's way of playing inspires me, and what more can you ask than that? My jaw dropped the first time he busted out that 'slap' type thing he can do - I still dont get how he does it! :cool:

6. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thank you guys!

It means a lot to me. Thank you.

Practice slow. No hurry, without too much expectation(fast result)
    is really good for better improvement.

Time, space, tone are really important.

I am gonna practice my guitar now.
    "Wax on, wax off..."

Tomo

7. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

I've just got this as well. I really like the exercises and just the overall attitude of enjoying the music. There's also the most sensible advice I've seen about learning to read music onto the guitar.

I've found myself applying the AYGP approach to other exercises I've used before - playing slow and clean. Very helpful!

8. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I LOVE this teaching dvd.....the finger exercises are great, and Tomo's solo excerpts are simply superb. My funk feel is 100% better, and I'm not even near 1% of Tomo's feel. Saw Tomo at Namm and was floored. I am eagerly waiting his second teaching dvd.

9. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Mike,
    Here's an eBay auction for Tomo's DVD at a great price:

Item #: 6423079195

This is the eBay person I purchased from, so I can recommend them. Quick shipping too.

I have incorporated a number of Tomo's exercises into my practice routine, but I am still only part of the way through the DVD. I am really inspired by Tomo's love of the guitar.

One other thing about Tomo: I posted some info about my previous musical life and Tomo contacted me directly, with some questions about choices I had made. This resulted in an email dialog a few weeks back where Tomo made it very apparent how interested he is in the growth of other players. He could have posted this whole dialog online so that he could advertise or promote himself, but he offered guidance individually, in a private channel. I just thought I'd share this aspect of Tomo with the other players here.

He's the real deal, an awesome player, and genuinely interested in promoting the skills of other players he's never even met in person. Class act IMO.

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I think I'm going to pick this up to add to my Principles for Correct Practice DVD's. I need to take my playing to the next level. Right now, I play to facilitate writing. I don't really consider myself a guitarist, but I would like to. People ask me to jam all of the time, and I always decline because outside of writing or playing a few covers that I have learned over the years, I am completely guitar illiterate.

12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Good to see Tomo's name popping up here more and more. Great teacher, stresses patience and attention to detail. Great guy to boot! I'm another fan of his playing....I will master the slap/pop technique yet!

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thank you so much guys! It means a lot to me. Thank you.

There are many great teachers, great people who cares others
    out there. I respect these people. I have hopes and many wishes for
    dedicated people like you!

Thank you.

Tomo

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Tomo,
    You are welcome!

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for your time telling me your
    valuable story. I wish you have more fun playing
    guitar ever. No pressure! Enjoy!

I have many friends who are great player and
    they have great day jobs so that they can really
    enjoy their music, family, quality time.

I am very lucky guy to know you.

Thanks,

Tomo

16. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a copy yesterday off of Amazon. I am looking forward to absorbing more knowledge. I really look forward to the timing aspect of these lessons. The biggest lessons I look forward to in the DVD are timing and swing. After that, I will look to this DVD for patterns and voicings. I am very hopeful, as the audio and video examples of Tomo's playing That I have seen and heard, indicate a very advanced command of his instrument in all of the fields that I strive to improve upon even though I do not play the same style of music. Will give a report of my impressions when I get it. M.E.

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I just got mine too. OOPPPs, I got caught up in watching TOMO play. :dude

18. gman

gman Member

Tomo, got your dvd recently, I like your stuff! Good fundamental excercises. This will be good, as my practise routine has gotten lazy over the years.
    Got any plans for another one?

Picked up a dvd from another Berklee fella, Jim Kelly's guitar workshop. It's more of a 'syle' approach. Inspirational, but also made me realize I need to hit the books and learn more chord, lead theory.

19. OWENMUSTANG

OWENMUSTANG Member

got that one too! some good stuff on there... jim's solo's are way beyond me but, the main riffs aren't to hard..
    i would like to check out tomo's dvd but, i already have a few books that will take me years to figure out.:jo