• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Just built a killswitch pedal - anyone tried this?

I was bored today so I decided to try this out. I now have a pedal that cuts the signal when you tap the button so you can do some fun things rhythmically. Has anyone tried this sorta thing? If so, have you had any issues with added noise or tone suck with it? I haven't plugged it into anything besides a practice amp to try it so far

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I use my Les Paul's toggle switch with one of the pickup volumes turned down all the way.

mobis8

I use my Les Paul's toggle switch with one of the pickup volumes turned down all the way.
+1... Never had the need for a pedal.. Maybe a good alternitave for a strat type player though.

If you change the 1/4 jacks to XLR it could be used as a caugh box for a singer!

chuck_zc

I built sort of the same(stutter button) concept into my guitar. Comes into play when we're playing Rebel Yell:JAM

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
I was bored today so I decided to try this out. I now have a pedal that cuts the signal when you tap the button so you can do some fun things rhythmically. Has anyone tried this sorta thing? If so, have you had any issues with added noise or tone suck with it? I haven't plugged it into anything besides a practice amp to try it so far

Hey , don't know if you've heard of the guitarist Buckethead or not, but I saw him in concert a few years back and he has a killswitch built into his guitars.. . FREEAKIN GREAT for stutter/trem/slicer fx.. I loved it , and it was 1 of the coolest sounding things I've witnessed musicwise. You couldn't do it with your type of switch , but if you get a chance to check him out , do (Maybe on youtube? ) and then it'll give you some ideas I bet

Eric

+1... Never had the need for a pedal.. Maybe a good alternitave for a strat type player though.

If you change the 1/4 jacks to XLR it could be used as a caugh box for a singer!
thats a cool idea - maybe I'll try it sometime. The singer could hold it & control it with his finger. Doing it with the foot is pretty tough.
If anyone read John Bolinger's practical joke article in Premier Guitar this month, this thing would go great in my band's other guitarist's effects loop
:Devil

benjammin

Hey , don't know if you've heard of the guitarist Buckethead or not, but I saw him in concert a few years back and he has a killswitch built into his guitars.. . FREEAKIN GREAT for stutter/trem/slicer fx.. I loved it , and it was 1 of the coolest sounding things I've witnessed musicwise. You couldn't do it with your type of switch , but if you get a chance to check him out , do (Maybe on youtube? ) and then it'll give you some ideas I bet

Eric
The whole intro to "Jordan" is just the kill-switch and his whammy/wah pedal. The solo is, uh.. :bow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBaM_Uw-3WY

g-nem

Radio shack. It's best if you use the soft-touch momentary - I think it's what buckethead uses (at least it looks like it). Only works in front of gain though - you really notices the pops when you use it clean.

Here it is on my dano:

vulcaniza P

there are other switches that don't pop.
i got a killswitch at the end of my chain on my board.

it's next to the loop station

vulcaniza P

i dunno any of the specs (maker, n such) on the switch. i just know its momentary.
i bought it at a local electronics shop.

jaywalker

I've got a killswitch I call a 'liveswitch' - I press one switch to turn the signal off, and then there is a momentary switch to turn the sound on. This way when I tap I get the sound rather than when I remove my foot. It just seemed more logical to me this way!

I've got a killswitch I call a 'liveswitch' - I press one switch to turn the signal off, and then there is a momentary switch to turn the sound on. This way when I tap I get the sound rather than when I remove my foot. It just seemed more logical to me this way!
I hear where you're coming from with that, but wouldn't it be hard to use during a song if you have to turn your signal off? I guess it would depend on what you're using it for

nibus

Hmmm, a Killswitch pedal... Does it Engage?

(har har har har...)

In all seriousness though - that's a very cool idea.

I do this also. I would like to install some type of kill switch in all of my guitars so I can do those cool manual chop tremelo sounds.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
Hmmm, a Killswitch pedal... Does it Engage?

(har har har har...)

In all seriousness though - that's a very cool idea.

I do this also. I would like to install some type of kill switch in all of my guitars so I can do those cool manual chop tremelo sounds.
Back in th e80s, somebody used to make a small cable that had a kill switch on it. It was designed I think for Strat palyers. You plugged the cable into your guitar, and then attached the switch barrel to the guitar top with light adhesive. You got the chop effect by pressing a small switch. Your regular guitar cable plugged into the switch barrel.

i was thinking of maybe attaching the box to my guitar via a suction cup using a real short cable if I want those really fast chop sounds. It's really tough for me to tap out fast rhythms with my foot. I guess this way I can use it for a few songs & not have to drill my guitar

Trending Topics