Just checked out the new Fishman Fluence Strat pickups at NAMM 2014

zarl

So, I saw Greg Koch demonstrate these new Strat pickups from Fishman yesterday. I heard him say something about these capturing the best pickup characteristics from 50s era Strats. Based on what I heard, I'm really impressed -- both with his playing and with the tones he was coaxing from these. Neck pickup tones in particular had that nice chimey top end. Bridge pickup had a lot of tele bridge pickup character to it. In between positions sounded sweet too. For the most part, the pickups look conventional too, with one exception -- the graphics and logo on the pickups -- maybe those could be removed with a little thinner or something. I'm really interested to see how pricing is on these when they become available.

That last photo is a shot of the test mule guitar that Fishman used during development.

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member

It might have been Gregs playing, but I thought they sounded pretty incredible. I agree about the aesthetics tho...

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
God for a second I saw that last pic and said WTF! Glad to know that's just a jig for testing and not the standard install!

Luke Duke

Don't know if you guys saw it, but in the room off to the side they had the new Falbo intention bridge hollow body with the Fluence classic hunbuckers.

DC1

Heard Gary Hoey demo them. They sound nice and the dual voicing option is very useful. They used a push/pull pot to go from a vintage voice to a hotter voice. Sounds like a PU swap.

These don't use windings of wire, but printed windings on about 12 printed circuit boards. Sounds great and no hum.

I think this is a real change in PU tech. They are active, but don't sound like it.

dc