just cranked the jtm 45 up to 10 for the first time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wildshoetwt, May 18, 2011.

1. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

let's just say that you need a full stack or a 4x12 to make any use of this type of circuit past 6 on the dial for single notes, for pure classic rock crunch my 2x12 sounded good

but theres too much speaker distortion going on with a 2x12

lesson learned

2. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

3. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

my jtm 45 went from sounding like a marshall jtm 45 bluesbreaker to sounding like the grittiest tweed deluxe on the verge of meltdown, but i think alot of that was speaker distortion

who knows?

4. Miles

Miles Member

Well, I suppose. But when are you really going to be using it running at 6 or higher? On 3 those things are outdoing most drummers.

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Naaah, they're not that loud, realistically they're about 35 WRMS. Mine scopes at 34 watts w/ NOS GEC KT66's. That being said I rarely turn mine up past 7 or 8...it gets too flubby even with the bass on 2...

6. 66Park

66Park Member

I agree. They're not as loud as a lot of people think. My '66 JTM45 actually sounds fantastic through a Bogner 212 with V30s. Clapton's sounded great through 2 12s as well!

7. pbmw

pbmw Member

I don't turn mine up past 6 or 7 very often. Just don't need to. Usually less than that...
    I agree though, a pair of 12's is pretty killer.
    I debated a 412 when I got my 212. But there really is no need for what I do with it.
    I've played it through a 412 though. It'll crank...

8. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

i was getting too much speaker breakup in my 2x12, sounded more fenderish because of that, but that was with the bass channel cranked, i cranked the treble channel today and it sounded much more marshall and jtm like, very glassy, very smooth, very fat

so yeah, if you wanna crank the bass channel on your jtm 45, you better have a 4x12 if you dont want a mushy cranked bassman tone

next up: running stereo out from my blue sky reverberator into the treble and bass and cranking them both? should i do it :? LOL?