• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Just curious, how many players own a Peavey Classic 30?

5150user

Also; if you have gigged with it both indoors and outdoors, what were your thoughts? Are there any other amps you would compare it to, tone-wise?

Vanilla Latte

Owned many Peavey's (XXX, XXL, Bandit, Rage, Stereo Chorus, Classic Chorus, 5150, 6505+, Ultra) but never the Classic 30.

That said, I hear nothing but good things about them. :)

illini

Don't currently own one, but used the 50 and the 30 quite a bit throughout the years. Always felt they benefitted by volume and a speaker change. Can sound a little flat and lifeless on the clean channel until pushed a bit. But overall, a I think a great amp.

Tony Done

I had one of the early tweeds, a long time ago, and I used it for gigging acoustic, both indoors and outdoors. However our setup was to use it mostly as my monitor with DI and mic to the PA system. It had good bright clean tones and excellent reverb. I have since realised that I like EL84 amps a lot more than 6L6, and I regret selling it when I gave up gigging for a while. I don't know about replacement, but I would be looking at combos in El84 - I now have an H&K Statesman Dual El84., very bright and hifi-like, but the reverb isn't as good as I remember the Classic 30.

Last edited:

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
Did many a gig with the C30 back in the day and recorded a couple of albums with the C50. Great amp for basic Rock and Blues tones. Magic when pushed. Bang for the buck? Def.

art_z

Gold Supporting Member
I have a tweed 2x10. Nice cleans but not a lot of headroom. Can’t keep up with a drummer without a PA

Wyatt Martin

I have a C30 head (2007) and 212 cab with Vintage 30 speakers. I just started using mine again in a new band and it sounds great. I always forget they come alive at gig/band practice volumes. At home volume I find it to be so so.

As a lone guitarist in my band the midrange in my Classic 30 sounds a lot fatter (to my ears) than my Fender Twin Reverb, cuts the mix better too.

Brutus

Got one of those and an XXL. I use them both at home and the XXL gets more air time, but you can’t go wrong with a 30. It’s tried and true over the years.

Todd1357

Don't own one... but it was the first real tube amp I ever played through (belonged to my bandmate's dad). I was in high school and used to my Marshall solid state amp (AVT). The Classic 30 was just so, so much better. Cleans were fat and round, and I used a DS-1 with the tone rolled back for my Santana-esque lead tone at the time. Pretty awesome rig for high school.

twotone

I never owned one but I did get to play through one in a band situation. It sounded great with the mid boost switch on.

Badstrat

Gold Supporting Member
I have one I and let the other guitarist use at my church. I think they are a great little amp. I bought mine second hand years ago and it came with matching 1x12 extension cab.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
I gigged with a Classic 30 for quite a while... worked great for me - even got a second one to alternate as a spare

rauchman

Never had the 30, but have had the Classic 50 head since it was purchased new in the 90's. Still use it. Great amp. With a little compression on the dirt channel, has a nice crunch sound, and also makes a great pedal platform on the clean channel.

abby_normal

I gigged a C30 with 112 extension cab from the early 90's until about '05. It wasn't a loud band and could never get it turned up enough to let it breathe and get sounding good. Also, does anyone else dislike the spiky Peavey logo as much as I do?

Sold it and bought a DRRI that I still have.

don carney

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Classic 30. I have had it for years. I replaced the speaker with a Jensen Neo to lighten the load. I do not like the crunch channel and use pedals as needed through the clean channel. The reverb is good but more is required than say one of my Fenders. It is a good bar gig amp and works fine for outdoors for a small gig. I often use a 12" extension speaker to balance the stage sound. This amp gets very hot. Care is required since the tubes are exposed on the back side on the older versions like mine. Mine failed at a gig a couple of years ago. My amp guy brought it back although he hates Peavey's - he says they are too hard to work on. I have debated selling it for years but it is perfect for gigs when you don't want to take the good amp.

Jeff_G

I had a 90s Classic 30 for a few years and thought it was a great workhorse amp. I mainly used it for rehearsal but gigged it sometimes too. Always ran it clean to use as a pedal platform so I can't speak to the other channel. With a speaker upgrade (I put in a WGS), it was a great amp and sounded great.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a few of them and always liked them. I once put a WGS Veteran 30 in one and wow, it really made the amp distortion channel sound big and beefy! Was a good hard rock amp after that swap.

I didn't use the clean channel much, but if I remember right, it was kinda dark and not real "sparkly" if that makes sense. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Trending Topics