Just curious if anyone documents their recording sessions.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by wahfreak, Apr 4, 2008.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

Sometimes it'll be weeks in between recording times or I'll be working on multiple ideas at the same time which will force me to change settings on equipment. Then later I can't remember where I had things set for a particular song. Between guitars, amps, racks, reverb settings and delay times, it's a lot to keep track of. Do you document everything for a particular song so you can come back to it later? If so what's your method?

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Just buy a cheap journal at a the dollar store. I have also used a digital camera.

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

When I'm smart I do. Sometimes kills the flow of a session, if I'm the guy playing *and* engineering.

One of the best reasons to have an AE.

4. hawaii5_o

hawaii5_o Member

I generally record all the settings in a notebook if I have to completely change the sound. But I have a notebook with me all the time so I'm always in the habit of writing everything down.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I dictate settings for my hardware into one of those handheld microcassette recorders. I've had mine for about 15 years, and it still works well.

However, I do much more in the box now, so no notes are needed for that, and some of my gear settings - such as the newer Neve stuff - are recallable via computer linkup.

In fact, where DID I put that damned little machine... ;)

I recently moved and can't find half my stuff depite labeling the boxes, etc. It's weird.

6. ricoh

ricoh Member

No and I generally work on something until it is complete. That said when I go back and hear something I did in the past I often think ..........good ------- sound !!!! I wonder how I got that???? or .............Hmm ........which pre was that????

7. eru

eru Member

Moleskines rule my life. Seriously.

I have one in my guitar case to take to lessons or jot down notes practicing. I have about 6 in my school bag. I have 2 in my car filled with driving directions to various places. I have one sitting on top of my audio interface. I have one under one of my turntables (DJ, not Hi-Fi).

Man, I spend a lot on paper. At least it's nice paper.

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I keep paper records - settings, amps, guitars, etc.

My two best go-to sheets though are a track list (looks like a calendar page #d 1-32) and a grid where I keep track of what I want on a song and what I have on a song.

Really helps me stay organized.

--chiba

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

I put the important stuff in the "notes" section, in Sonar.

Usually just what mic/signal chain was used, for both tracking and mixdown.

If it's a completely analog mix, I'll make some notes on panning and EQ, but there's no way way you can ever get 100% recall.

Besides, George Harrison said - "Why would you want to recall a bad mix?" <vbg>

Loudboy

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

There's a Mac application called Stickies - not standard on OS X, but it used to be a part of OS9 and prior and it works in OS X. Kinda like MS Outlook Notes, but better since you can have them sort of loose instead of buried on an application page. Looks like little yellow sticky notes on your desktop, easily manipulated.

I've tried a bunch of stuff, like the track notes section of Live, an Excel spreadsheet, etc, but none of them seemed as good as just making a new sticky for each project and putting in settings, guitars, amps, etc. I'm still not perfect about it, but I'm better about it than I used to be.

11. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I try to but I am not as consistent as I should be....I always end up wondering what I did....darn it.

But then, music is my sanctuary so I try not to get to "work-like" with it. It becomes a tough balance.

12. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

We document everything for tax purposes as well as maintaining continuity.

I used to use a paper journal, but now I only use it for lyrics.

With everything that's analog I layout a strip of white 1" gaffers tape and use a black sharpie to write down settings, etc...
    In the digital world most programs have a notepad, and if it doesn't I use the good old Windows notepad that's on every computer running Microsoft software.

13. elambo

elambo Member

I've found spaces in ProTools (on each track or in the Info page) to document any notes I need for the typical session. The rest gets thrown onto a simple text file which is saved in the session folder and called "session notes."

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Same, on the track or in a text file.

In the text file I try to document everything (as Basso mentioned) if it doesn't kill the flow. Some things I make sure to get, such as mic used, polar pattern, mic position, preamp, EQ and/or compressor settings. They come in very handy if I want to get a similar sound at a much later date.

I also love documenting anecdotal stuff when it's particularly cool, like the singer getting naked for the best take or whatever.

I made that example up; it hasn't happened yet.

15. giginthesky

giginthesky Member

16. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

The IRS now cares what compressor settings you used on the main vocal?:eek: