1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just dinged my Grosh RC....

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by RedLizard, Jun 16, 2005.

1. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

DAMMIT!

I just put the first ever ding in my Grosh RC. Why are the gods angry at me? Is there a patron saint of guitar (St. Axius?) that can put a good word in for me?

The irony of it all is that I was moving a guitar/case stand into a closet to better protect my Mel, Suhr and Grosh from a new high energy dog that just recently joined us and in doing so, lightly smacked the Grosh into a cabinet. As you Grosh owners well know, even a light smack ain't good with a thin nitro finish.

Cheer me up, guys.....tell me about the boneheaded things you've done to prematurely relic your Grosh, Suhr, Mel, Andy, Tyler, etc....

Here she is before she became so hideously disfigured:

[​IMG]

2. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I came home one night after a few drinks and played my guitar for a few minutes. When I was putting it back in the case, the case closed on top of the guitar while I was still holding it and it put a a big ding in the side of it. Yes...the CASE damaged my guitar! :rolleyes:

3. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

wow ..nice guitar -had the same one i sold on ebay last year....:D

4. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

well a few days after first getting the grosh, I had my retroclassic leaning face down against my bed, while I was doing something else, moved the bed and the grosh slid sideways, and there's a long light scrape along the top of the guitar from the metal bed frame. the following year, i did not know about how nitro reacts to certain guitar stands, bought an "ultimate guitar stand" at MARS music, and now the nitro is "burned off" at two points on it from a reaction with the foam. was heartbroken at first, but now I think it looks kind of cool actually. since then it really doesn't matter. it's a guitar meant to be played. I'll post pics soon.

5. fatback

fatback Member

Congrats, it is now officially your guitar, at least that's how I rationalize dings. I had my strap slip and put a small ding on the side of my maple neck Lentz S a couple of months ago. It bugged me for about a week. Now I like to think of it as a birth-mark. I've got one over my left eye, so why shouldn't my guitar have one.;)

6. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Beautiful, brand new Guild D-28M Mahogany Acoustic..... laying on my lap. For whatever reason, I was doing something with a phillips head screwdriver. Screwdriver slipped out of my hand and fell about a foot... pointy end first... right into the top above the sound hole. It pierced the finish and left a perfect phillips impression in the wood. :mad:

To this day (close to 20 years later) I can't look at the guitar without focusing on what appears to be a HUGE hole in the top (granted it's only about 3 millimeters big) :D

Rick

7. xroads

xroads Member

I hope this can cheer you up:

- some people pay extra money for relic'ing
    - to me, dings on a guitar are what separate the collectors from the
    players

I have a gorgeous McInturff Taurus, over time it got some dings here and there. OK, it decreases resale value, but so what, I will play it for a long time anyway....

8. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I'm feeling better, especially after Gomez' post, but sadly, I need to hear more if I'm going to make it to the weekend :D

Fatback, if that first ding makes it mine, then the true owner of the Fiesta Red RC below needs to come forward and claim it! She came to me with a the chip shown, a selection of little dimples on the face and a light finish scratch or two. Nowhere near mint anymore, but she tries harder knowing she's got to keep up with the Cherry.

I don't mind blems, just had hoped to keep from popping her cherry (pun intended) a little longer.

[​IMG]

9. jTreu

jTreu Member

Wow, its totally ruined, worth nothing now, might as well just send it over to me and ill take care of it for you.

:D

10. wodka

wodka Member

Resell it as a relic'd Grosh.

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well let's see ....
    I eh generally keep my Takamine well cared for although it was getting plenty of little dings and scratches.
    But one day at church the youth are messing around on the instruments and knock over the Takamine (after they placed it in an ill place)
    Ever since then a huge deep gauge in the neck that you can feel when you play it :(
    I guess not quite my bone head move ..

12. John Bell

John Bell Member

It's nitro.It can be repaired.

13. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Hey jTreau,

It's all yours, but I use a professional packing service that is very expensive....$1500 :)

The ding is actually very tiny and would have to be ten times that size to warrant a repair...I'm just whining. :p

14. fatback

fatback Member

Great birdseye on the neck! Don makes one heck of a super- strat. Just think of how much "relicing" 10 years of hard playing will put on it. ;)

15. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Are they 'instruments' or just objects to admire?

Do you want vinyl slipcovers on all your furniture?

1. Pulled a two-space rack onto a swamp ash Suhr by walking 11 feet with a 10 foot cord, THAT took a nice bite out of the lower bout. John graciously repaired it in his usual perfect fashion. (Also commented that he liked 'em better with some dings.)

2. Dropped a Marine Band harp out of my mouth onto a Delap, leaving two 'rail' marks in the lacquer on the upper bout. (Don't even ask about how or why.)

Talk to some horn players (or repairmen) about what they've put their axes through; e.g. Dizzy's trademark trumpet bell angle resulted from someone knocking it over in a club.

16. dave s

dave s Member

I feel for ya mang. This story should make you feel a little better about your new ding:

Just taken my new RC to its first gig. Rare gig where we had sound and lights provided. Half way through the sound check I got the 'hey buddy, you're just going to have to turn it down ... a LOT!!!'

Turned around to turn amp down and rammed the headstock right into the real brick wall behind the stage. And just to top it all off, the jolt to the guitar dislodged from my left hand enough that when I grabbed it back, the headstock raked across the bricks for another 12" or so.

"Crap ... that WAS a NEW GUITAR!!!"

Through the finish, down to the wood--dented and splintered.

Not to worry ... that was 3 years or so ago. That particular RC is still my #1 player. The finish is starting to wear off in other places, but it still plays like the dickens and looks even worse!

Again, sorry about your first ding!

dave

17. FredW

FredW Member

One time when I was like 13 or so,I was playing my friends brand new strat, one of those mid eighties japanese ones with the fake cross between a kahler and a floyd rose. anyway I was standing up playing it with a strap and took it off and the headstock got caught up in his ceiling fan. your guitars damage is nothing compared to what I did to his strat. I felt horrible because he had just gotten it.

18. Orren

Orren Member

I'm putting that in a frame, and hanging it on my studio wall!! :)

Orren

19. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

My wife told me so many times, Don't leave the guitar on the floor after playing. Yes, mam, I hear you.. I said that so many times until one day I laid down my guitar on the floor to go to bathroom and she took a liberty to put my guitar aside.. Thank you, mam.. until she banged the top of the guitar to the sharp point of my coffee table. It went through the finish into the wood. Now, I can't even look down when I play that Taylor 812. It just distracts me and I forget what C chord is..

My lesson: listen to your wife before something really bad happens..:(

20. The Eristic

The Eristic Member