Just discovered an awesome delay secret.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imaguy2, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I also use it in my mixing work for guitars and vocals. On acoustic guitar I use 3 taps (Logic Delay Designer), with one tap panned left, -45, the other right, +45, and one in the center. The guitar will be panned either right or left, maybe around +/-30.

The 3 delay times are from the Fibonacci sequence, with the longest one opposite the dry guitar, the shortest in the middle and the middle on the same side as the guitar. Because I'm using lower numbers, it's more of an ambient thing, but it really opens up the guitar in the track in a different way than room reverb, but similar. You have to use just the right amount, so you don't get a slap effect.

Similar concept with vocals.

There... I've told one of my big secrets. :D

2. klaetos

klaetos Member

Just hanging out to mark this thread for later. :idea

3. b3john

b3john Member

Or you could could scroll up to "Thread Tools" and hit "Subscribe to this Thread", which accomplishes the same thing for you.

Then it will always be available either from "Quick Links" -> "Subscribed Threads" or under "New Subscribed Threads" from "User CP".

4. waytooslow

waytooslow Member

Yes it will - noisy analog signal though

5. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i love this concept. very very cool. do you have a clip that illustrates the result? i'd love to hear it.

i will be trying this out in a mix, for sure.

6. klaetos

klaetos Member

I could do that, but then I wouldn't get to use these cool little smilies, that's the REAL reason I come here. :wave

Thanks though, I didn't even think about that.

7. astroboy81

astroboy81 Member

nice read... i will try the fibonacci:)

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Here's an extension of the Fibonacci idea for mixing...

I use Logic Pro and it has Delay Designer, which allows for many delay lines, so I've tried 3-4 taps using subsets of the Fibonacci sequence numbers, and it really works well for various instruments and vocals, to add a unique ambiance or straight delay effect.

9. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I'm listening to "Fresh Air," and Brian May is being interviewed. The question was asked, "How did you get the stomping on "We Will Rock You" to sound so huge?"

"Well, I'm a physicist, and I thought about it, and I wanted to make it sound like the stomps were coming from a large group. I set several delays up, each with the time set to correspond to a different prime number. That made it sound like a huge crowd, with the sound from different sections arriving at different times. There's no reverb, just straight delays which create that physical space which sounds so substantial."

10. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

You beat me to it. The Keef interveiw was priceless. Peace. J.J.B.

11. El Chiguete

El Chiguete Member

Is the idea of this to run them in series or in parallel?

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm not sure how the Timeline does it. Running them in parallel works well.