Just Discovered OK Computer...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ZDPrice, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Griz

Griz Member

Sorry, Doctor. I must respectfully disagree with your diagnosis.

Radiohead's admittedly uneven excellence is due to the fact that they take fairly substantial artistic risks. Where do we hear risk-taking in Nickelback's music? In fact (not to bash Nickelback's very people-pleasing formula), where do we hear any attempt at art in their work?

It may well be that die-hard Radiohead fans overestimate the degree to which the band has affected the music world; but leaving that aside, it is undeniable that albums such as The Bends and OK Computer are very fine pieces of work that stand with anything wonderful ever recorded in popular music in the last 50 years.

Good is good.

:aok

2. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

I discovered The Smiths in 2003.
    Radiohead is one of my very favorite-est bands. I get to see them in two weeks(for the 8th time). Go buy a Massive Attack album while your at it, say Mezzanine

3. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

That's great. Funny stuff. For me, it's OK Computer, In Rainbows, and The Bends...in that order. There are a scattering of songs through Hail To The Thief, Kid A, and Amnesiac that I like. King of Limbs is not so good...to me. Creep off of Pablo Honey is memorable but the rest are just "meh". I count them as a fav but thought they were done writing melodies until In Rainbows.

4. Ben S.

Ben S. Member

I second that.
    I couldn't believe it after one year of listening to In Rainbows that I was listening to it more than OKC. Surprised the hell out of me. I love them all, but IR just gives me every aspect of the band in some of their best songs.
    Weird Fishes gives me goosebumps.

Welcome to the land of Radiohead.

Enjoy!

5. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Supporting Member

I find "Let Down" to be simultaneously hypnotic and cathartic.

6. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    :agree

7. sonicD

sonicD Member

You know, it's funny. It took a long time for me to warm up to IR, but once I did, I really fell in love with it. Now I think it's one of their best albums.

Amnesiac is another favorite. IIRC, recorded at the same time as Kid A. Sort of Kid A, part 2, with guitars. What Kid A lacks in warmth, Amnesiac makes up for. Knives Out is maybe my favorite Radiohead track of all time.

The rest all seem to have at least a few stellar tracks on every album, at least enough to warrant the purchase. But I still can't figure out why Karma Police was the lead single off OKC, or even why they bothered with a single at all. OKC is one of those albums where you listen to the whole thing from start to finish. Great record!

OKC also got Radiohead their first Grammy, if memory serves. They've got a few more since then. I wonder if they care...

8. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

9. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

Incredible song. I get lost trying to guess when the next guitar "ding" accent is going to come in that song. It's such a simple mechanism, but makes that song one of the most understatedly brilliant on that album.

10. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

Agree pretty much 100% with this. Never have been able to get into Kid A or Amnesiac, though those songs are fantastic in a live setting. King of Limbs was just a lazy effort, IMO.

11. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

For me, OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac are their peak, and HTTT is a nice summation of their career. I haven't been able to find anything very compelling on any of the subsequent releases.

12. adjeff2706

adjeff2706 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

:agree

13. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

I'm glad you found it! Been a favorite of mine.
    I got to see them on the OK tour. They sounded fantastic.
    I was a bit apprehensive it would be a good show,(i'm gunshy from too many crappy GD shows). But they sounded like the record, great band, great album. I bought it on vinyl.

14. lhallam

lhallam Member

Whether you dig Radiohead or not, there is no denying these guys are talented and original. They definitely know what they are doing.

Personally I dig them.

15. SongX

SongX Member

i will have to disagree on KOL being lazy. Just for the sake of example, If you see the performance of Bloom from the FRom The Basement videos, there is looping, there are 3 drummers, all perfectly in synced. I wouldnt call that lazy :)

16. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Yep, brilliant band. Always pushing the envelope really.

A lot of people didn't "get" King of Limbs....I was a bit taken back when I first heard it....but like all of their albums, it demands multiple listens....and in the 2nd or 3rd, it clicked, and I got it.

They're a great inspiration and so fluent on their instruments, and not afraid to step out of the box. One of the few truly innovative bands of our time.

17. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the club!
    Radiohead is the best band of the last 15 years.

I saw the OK Computer tour and they were amazing live. I saw them 4 times more since then.

On a different note, I have been trying for the longest time to reproduce the sound of subterranean homesick alien on my guitar...

Used the Whammy pedal in conjunction with a nice tape delay and a small stone to no avail.

I get close but I am missing something.

18. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

You are missing Johnny Greenwood's crazy mad scientist music brain.

19. Matt L

Matt L Member

Sail To The Moon on Hail To The Thief is one of the best songs they've ever done, IMO.

20. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I think the tricky part for you trying to re-create that is Jonny is doing the small stone bit, and Ed is doing the Whammy bit, if i recall correctly. So getting both parts into one would surely be tricky.

Good luck tho!!

cheers