• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Just experienced the most bizarre band firing in my life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo Bob

I don't even know how to describe it, but it escalated fast and all of a sudden the band has no bass player. I will try to properly chronicle this one though cos it's one for the ages, at least for me.

It happened late yesterday. No booze or drugs involved or anything. Our bass player shows up for rehearsal and he can't get his pedalboard to pass signal. He is going direct to the PA with a sansamp thingy on his pedalboard and uses a wedge for monitoring. Me being the bands sound person, I go over and confirm there's power to everything and I ask if all patch cables are plugged in tight. Immediately he gets frustrated and says to me "it was just working at home man"! I said ok well lets see what the issue is so we can get rehearsing. He exclaims to me "I SAID IT WAS WORKING FINE AT HOME MAN, IT'S GOTTA BE YOUR PA!" I asked for the other end of the cable coming out of his bass guitar and he begrudgingly hands it to me. I plug it straight into a combi jack that supports hi-z and we are now getting some signal but mostly hum.

Ok I say, it's got to be either the cable or your bass. Makes sense right? "IT'S NOT MY F'N GEAR MAN"! I turned around and calmly said to him that I am just trying to help get us jamming and if he would please try one of my cables. Meanwhile my wife (our lead singer) has been standing on the other side of the room watching this unfold. He starts to shake a little and I see him clench his fists down by his side. This is when I get in his face and tell him to calm the F down and try my cable. He screams that his s*%t has been working at home fine and it's the PA system then he pushes me. Drummer gets up and decides to get in the middle and he's yelling at both of us to calm down, then my wife walks over and screams to the bass player he's done and to leave our house immediately. Bass player packs up his stuff and whisks himself out the door.

It's not over yet. Drummer is now pi$$ed because he really liked the bass player and his abilities and he starts yelling at my wife. I get in his face and tell him to chill or he will join the bass player on the can wagon. He packs up his bag of stuff and storms out. 20 minutes later he sends me an apology text.

Thing is. The only warning signs about this bass player were that he didn't have his own transpo, BUT he always made it to band gigs and rehearsals because his wife would bring him. I had never had any conflicts with the guy til yesterday. I don't blame my wife one bit for canning the guy and I agree with her he will get no 2nd chance after that level of fiasco. I mean I have been in at least a couple dozen bands and fronted/led most of them and I have never seen anything like that transpire. I have had a singer take a swing at me when he was drunk but he missed and fell to the floor and everyone laughed and that was that. I have had arguments in bands before but never to that level and never because I was trying to help someone.

WOW.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I mean, you coulda just plugged your guitar into your PA to prove it wasn't your PA. But yeah you aren't his therapist, and you don't have to sign up for being the punching bag for his anger issues. That's the right call.

glpg80

If that was the only time he got frustrated I’d wonder what personal stuff he has going on to have him so on edge as to break at his gear not jiving with the PA. You could have just changed channels and easily disproven the PA’s fault, but normally no one assumes their gear always works. Things happen out of our control.

Relationships will fall in and out but I agree physical threats are where I draw the line as well. You say everyone was sober but that may honestly not have been the case.

The wife firing him on the spot without confronting the band is completely acceptable as the physical threat rule is an understood as one of the basics in bands. You can get hot and walk off without practicing with an apology but never resort to physical violence or threats thereof. Sounds like y’all dodged something worse that could transpire down the road.

rizla

This is why I wont work in a band where a couple are members. Edited: Tongue in cheek remark. Im just joking.

I wouldve just done what another poster suggested and plugged a guitar or mic in and demonstrated that the PA worked. Seems like the long way around but sometimes you have to do that.

Voodoo Bob

If that was the only time he got frustrated I’d wonder what personal stuff he has going on to have him so on edge as to break at his gear not jiving with the PA. You could have just changed channels and easily disproven the PA’s fault, but normally no one assumes their gear always works. Things happen out of our control.

Relationships will fall in and out but I agree physical threats are where I draw the line as well. You say everyone was sober but that may honestly not have been the case.

The wife firing him on the spot without confronting the band is completely acceptable as the physical threat rule is an understood as one of the basics in bands. You can get hot and walk off without practicing with an apology but never resort to physical violence or threats thereof. Sounds like y’all dodged something worse that could transpire down the road.
One thing I did forget is that his wife apologized to my wife and said "he doesn't do this much"..

I personally don't care how often he does "it". Once is enough.

rizla

Well considering you have no idea how my wife and I drive the bus, nor the fact that we have never had an issue like this before, you are silly to avoid couples in bands. Her and I have done a few projects together and NEVER ran into this in any of them. Matter of fact we have a lot more friends in our lives who are former band members than anyone who held a grudge for being fired. Her and I agreed years ago that band is separate from our personal lives and we have stuck religiously to that agreement.

That dude was a psycho and I am glad he's gone. It happened really fast and I was just trying to help the dude. Thats how it went down.
I edited my post before you posted this one. I was kidding with you.
The last band I was in had a husband and wife team in it.
They were sociopaths, no two ways about it. But they were nice sociopaths and they were my sociopaths and we gigged for nearly 14yrs together.

Last edited:

Voodoo Bob

This is why I wont work in a band where a couple are members. Edited: Tongue in cheek remark. Im just joking.

I wouldve just done what another poster suggested and plugged a guitar or mic in and demonstrated that the PA worked. Seems like the long way around but sometimes you have to do that.
See post #6

Voodoo Bob

I edited my post before you posted this one. I was kidding with you.
The last band I was in had a husband and wife team in it.
They were sociopaths, no two ways about it but they were nice sociopaths and they were my sociopaths and we gigged for nearly 14yrs together.
Ok. We cool.

axe4me

Crazy to deal with people.

Years ago, my cover band was rehearsing and the bassist didn't do his intro to a Doobie Bros. song.

The rhythm guitarist mentions this to him and the bassist tells him. "I'm not going to do it".

These guys don't like each other to begin with and I act as a diplomat.

The bassist gets in a huff and walks out.

I'm amazed and shocked.

I follow my bassist and he doesn't want to talk to me.

I get home and telephone him.

No answer.

I still call him.

No answer.

A few days later Icall my bassist and he answers.

I'm asked if I what to steer the ship.........my bassist way of asking me to manage.

I say no and ask this guy this guy what's his issue and he starts to get snippy.

I'm done trying to weather the storm of baby stuff.

There's a band meeting without me.

The bassist tells the band, "it's him or me".

I quit this looney bin baby stuff.

People suck.

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
Seems like you could have handled this better as well. You believed the guy was upset and then got in his face...this and your "calm the f down" escalated the situation from my perspective on this. Most people respond poorly when someone gets in their face.

Voodoo Bob

To me, it kinda sounds like he was looking for an excuse for you (or someone) to push him out.

And this:

Lol, that's usually a big red flag.
Yeah I thought the same afterward. He struggled a little and complained a couple times but he was ultimately able to keep up. He knew what he was getting into but this is a Tribute band with some really challenging bass duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom