• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Just finished 2.5 years playing full time

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
Wow what a ride. Joined a Vegas type show and played my ass off 5-6 nights a week. Last week the show closed, I am back home. WOW. I bought a 5 killer guitars, a new car, and remodeled my house over the past few years. Now I am just home! I need a game plan of what to do next.

ned7flat5

Never fear, I’m sure there’s a fortnightly door deal covers gig out there....

It would be pretty interesting to get some pro insights into what that level of gigging entails eg: Do you ever get to the stage where you could play the show on autopilot? Or do things get changed around? Gear, of course...

That70'sBro

Hats off OP. Never did better than some fairly consistent part-time myself in small markets. Wages a little better than beer money.

Nice to know that you managed some gainful employment in that time. Enjoy your break. Practical question - what's next?

jackaroo

Congrats Alan!

I guess....maybe there’s a flip side?

I’ve been thinking about it lately, I’m pretty glad my music never had me out of the house like that, my family and home are pretty spectacular, but high maintenance. I’m pretty sure that I’d be without them if life’s path had lead me down the touring path.

That said, there’s always a part of me that envies cats that are on the road 200+ nights a year. Certainly takes a lot of dedication and must be incredible for ones chops.

Tell us about the genre, the gig, the rig etc...curious.

Cheers, and welcome home.

Jack

Yer Blues

That's pretty cool.... could you post a brief write up of your experience? I think it would be cool to read for us weekend warriors.

MissingSomethin

How did your playing evolve after playing so regularly?
Can you now play those songs without even thinking?
How long did it take to reach that state?

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
OP how did the band travel, where to, where did you sleep, and what did you do in your down time?

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
Never fear, I’m sure there’s a fortnightly door deal covers gig out there....

It would be pretty interesting to get some pro insights into what that level of gigging entails eg: Do you ever get to the stage where you could play the show on autopilot? Or do things get changed around? Gear, of course...[/QUOT every now and then if I had a lot on my mind I would totally be thinking about other things and then realize that it was time to take a solo. The other 98% of the time I was totally playing the best I could and putting on a show!!! I had to smile and work of the show aspect of playing.

tabb74

Join a local covers band that plays at a bar that should be featured on "Bar Rescue", where you have to beg the owner at the end of the night for the $200 he guaranteed the band.

Seriously though, that sounds like an awesome experience!

freekbird

Hell, I only play 3-5 times a week and I absolutely can (and often do, thanks whiskey) on auto-pilot. It just kind of comes out. I've got to assume its the same for someone playing even more...I guess depending on the music.

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats Alan!

I guess....maybe there’s a flip side?

I’ve been thinking about it lately, I’m pretty glad my music never had me out of the house like that, my family and home are pretty spectacular, but high maintenance. I’m pretty sure that I’d be without them if life’s path had lead me down the touring path.

That said, there’s always a part of me that envies cats that are on the road 200+ nights a year. Certainly takes a lot of dedication and must be incredible for ones chops.

Tell us about the genre, the gig, the rig etc...curious.

Cheers, and welcome home.

Jack
Jack great to hear from you!!! We wish we could have connected when I was in NY. I was doing a Rockabilly gig, My rig was just a fender Princeton reverb always mic through the house main PA with a slap-back delay, I started with a flashback, then went to a BOSS DD3, the switch broke then went to the Dunlop EP 103. and a TC tuner . I used about 4 different clean boost and never could find the right one, I was going for clean driven tone, First the Soul Food, then the JJ Prestige buffer booster, Klon Centaur and a few others... I used a wireless setup and we did an acoustic section I used several differnt cheep acoustics. Guitars, Telecaster and a Gretsch reverend Horton heat.. I remember when the gig first started I had a very expensive Martin and I was like this guitar is getting trashed so I went with a cheep acoustic. IMG_6088 by Alan, on FlickrIMG_4816 by Alan, on Flickr

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
How did your playing evolve after playing so regularly?
Can you now play those songs without even thinking?
How long did it take to reach that state?
OMG, I am the same guitar player but wow playing every night and day makes such a difference. I am really happy I have met so many players and have had a few new offers come my way already. Practice, and more Practice is so important.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Wow what a ride. Joined a Vegas type show and played my ass off 5-6 nights a week. Last week the show closed, I am back home. WOW. I bought a 5 killer guitars, a new car, and remodeled my house over the past few years. Now I am just home! I need a game plan of what to do next.
What kinda of show? The touring Broadway shows can be fun but I'd think after about three weeks the boredom would be a killer.
What kind of music were you playing?

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
OP how did the band travel, where to, where did you sleep, and what did you do in your down time?
We had a theater 5 night a week on Maui we played at, they flew us to do a Memphis gig but I didn't tour that much. That was a fun gig as we played in the old Gibson building/ factory.
It was a lot of fun.. I would go on the road right now if the right situation came up. Anyone looking for a guitar player, let me know. Ha ha ya never know.

What kinda of show? The touring Broadway shows can be fun but I'd think after about three weeks the boredom would be a killer.
What kind of music were you playing?

kimos55

Gold Supporting Member
Awesome, congrats! What type of music were you playing and where were you playing?
I was doing a full production of ELVIS, we were a full band, all very talented players. The bass player OMG, he could play all the Rush Tunes and then play the Tribel Tec / Chick tunes//
The keyboard player is blind and could play everything, from Sax to Drums, WOW he is still a great friend.. Same with the Drummer, he kicked ass every night. We had hot dancers and a great crew and stage hands.

Trending Topics